Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got bored this last weekend and started looking for camera mounts when I ran across some instructions for a simple, $5 DIY mount. Since the other options required tools I didn't have or cost more than I was willing to spend I tried making it.

I added a couple extra's, though. First off, for the SV650 you'll need to cut off part of the ends of the PVC "T" junction so it'll actually fit on the handlebar (not too much. the hose clamps need somthing to grab onto). Second, I got some 3/4" PVC extensions so the camera can see over the cluster (an advantage to using extensions: If I want to include the cluster in future videos, just remove an extension or two). Third, I put a piece of rubber tubing in-between the PVC "T" junction and the handlebar so it wouldn't flop around. I think the tubing might actually reduce vibration, too.

I think it worked out pretty well. It's a little shaky, but it's certainly watchable. It looks stupid and blocks the view of the cluster, though, so it's hard to see your MPH. Anyway, not bad for $5 :)

Test video: **removed, see below**

Instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/5-Motorcycle-Camera-Mount/

Update: eclark53520, and a few others, pointed out you could make out my address and where I parked the bike, so just to be safe I removed the video. If you want to see how this particular mount works in action, ryrides has a video, or I posted an update with a new video.

·
Registered
421 Posts
nice man. guess you also have to have handlebars to make use of it. still cant beat it for $5.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hmm, I should make something like this. Have you thought about a little piece of foam over the cam mic to reduce the wind noise a little at higher speeds?

·
Registered
213 Posts
nice man. guess you also have to have handlebars to make use of it. still cant beat it for $5.
Yeah but could you maybe make one that clamps on the forks though? That would be good too!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
svtirefire: Haha! I already saw your video, it was in the "Related Videos" section on my video. It put a huge grin on my face, nice angle :)

adm2204: I haven't put too much thought into what I could put on the camera mic yet. I heard somebody mention gauze, but I don't have any of that handy. I'm sure I have some foam, though, so I'll give that a shot. Unfortunately, after work it's dark so test video's wouldn't work all that well. That, and it started snowing a few hours after that video was taken :(

·
Registered
213 Posts
JPOnion: I made a mount very similar to yours. Unfortunately mine was too short and all I could see was blue sky and the top of the tach on the SV. Works on my XL500 though! I have that vid on youtube too.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
svtirefire: Did you make it out of PVC? If so, check out the extensions I added to mine. I first tried using it without the extensions and ran into the same problem, bly sky (well, garage roof...) and top of the tach but those extensions worked excellent.

Home Depot didn't seem to have them for some reason, or were in a different section, but Lowes did.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Good job, pretty friggin good for 5 bucks...

One thing though...i really wouldnt give the entire internet a look at exactly where you park your bike(s)....just a thought....i know its a complex with lots of people around...but still.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good job, pretty friggin good for 5 bucks...

One thing though...i really wouldnt give the entire internet a look at exactly where you park your bike(s)....just a thought....i know its a complex with lots of people around...but still.
Wow. It's my first youtube video...heck, my first video period...so I didn't even think of that. Set to private for the time being until I can cut that part out. :p

·
Registered
973 Posts
i built one of these about 5 months ago, had pics posted on my facebook linked at one time.. i used the same design, and actually mine was very stable..i could grab the mount and actually walk the bike around no prob.. Also video quality was pretty god, unfortunetly i havent posted any since i dont have access to home internet and cant post vids from work.i did take a couple of little vids though that came out pretty well.Its a great design for a naked SV.try placing a rubber washer underneath the camera where it attaches if its too shakey.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=90688

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
This thread got me to thinkin'. I've never been a big video guy; just preferring to enjoy the ride. BUT, I've had this tripod for years, and it was designed to be able to attach to things with the velcro strap

So, tonight I did a little test fit with the happy-snappy

It doesn't look half bad. I'm thinking I would want to wrap a little toolbox shelf matting around the slider to fix the position a little better, and definitely use a hose clamp or cable tie for a more secure attachment. This just might work. Video might be coming soon.

This appears to be their website:

http://www.pedcopods.com/

There was no interweb when I bought mine!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, since apparently you can't edit videos already uploaded to youtube, and it was just a quick test ride anyway, I decided to just go ahead and wait till the next weekend when I could get a decent ride in. I went ahead and set it up so I only have 1 PVC extension instead of 2 and the camera angle is still good and the vibration and wind noise was reduced a little (I cleaned up the vibration a bit more in PowerDirector). Only downside to it now is that the camera completely blocks the speedometer so I have no idea how fast I'm going other than how fast it feels I'm going.

Anyway, here's the new test video with the $5 camera mount:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-VL7XcKsoY
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqKrG8tcRwg

Fun ride, except for the small gravel and random ice in the shade...

BKK Jack: Hmm, looks promising, though I think your right in that you need to secure it a little more so it doesn't slide around the slider under acceleration. Don't forget to wrap the lanyard around something, just in case. Post away when you've got something :)

ryrides: Nice little dualsport action going on at the end ;D

·
Registered
789 Posts
i built one of these about 5 months ago, had pics posted on my facebook linked at one time.. i used the same design, and actually mine was very stable..i could grab the mount and actually walk the bike around no prob.. Also video quality was pretty god, unfortunetly i havent posted any since i dont have access to home internet and cant post vids from work.i did take a couple of little vids though that came out pretty well.Its a great design for a naked SV.try placing a rubber washer underneath the camera where it attaches if its too shakey.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=90688
is your mount the same as what the JPO did? Your facebook links don't work anymore

Actually, RyRides & JPOnion, do you guys have pics of your mounts? I know it's in the instructions site, but you said you added "extentions". Just wanted to check 'em out.

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
Now someone needs to find something out for a S model with the clip-ons... I will think of something soon if noone beats me to it, might goto home depot tomorrow.

Made a custom GPS mount for my clip-ons not to long ago with the parts that came with it to mount on the dash with the suction cup thing.

·
Registered
973 Posts
is your mount the same as what the JPO did? Your facebook links don't work anymore

Actually, RyRides & JPOnion, do you guys have pics of your mounts? I know it's in the instructions site, but you said you added "extentions". Just wanted to check 'em out.

Thanks
Most likely, i made it with pvc tee, adaptor,hose clamps and some rubber. i cant see JPonions because my DOD computer wont open youtube/photobucket files but im sure they are the same design, it got my design off the internet. ill have to repost some pics of mine back on here. Some one mentioned theirs being to short..if you just add an extension
and tilt the entire mount forward a little you clear the cluster and get good road shots.

HAHA JP, yeah i was practicing my swerves by dodging manhole covers in the road
on the way home, do it every time i ride down the street in my neighborhood:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.