Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didnt have time before I call it a night to join a buell forum but I take it you guys are a close substitue ;).

So as a lot of you guys know, I started on a tiny 50cc two stroke street bike, wanted an SV650 forever but decided to get an R6.

My riding style doesnt really take me over 85mph very often, and my twisties pace is not totally cruising but I dont come close to dragging knee. Also I like to be able to ride for a long distance comfortable.

I think its clear why the R6 may not be the best choice! Overall it works well for comfort etc... but the real thing that bothers me is the power, its not to much to handle but to much to enjoy! "Its more fun to ride a slow bike fast then a fast bike slow".

I barely have to shift! It will go well over the maximum speed limit just after shifting into second gear.

I never liked the SV's cosmetics etc..., but think its a good bike overall...

But now I am thinking this is what I should've gotten and am going to get, a buell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MILtFY9Zngk

Short wheelbase, tons of torque but not to much power/top speed so I can still make use of all the gears (5 in this case), nice deep sound, very flickable, upright and comfortable, not to expensive (its no SV but its much cheaper then a lot of bikes) and its unique.

Also my dad rides a Harley, 2007 Road King Custom and he likes the idea of me getting a buell.

So I dont want a crazy fast 1125R or CR, and dont want a Blast or the Adventure bikes.

That leaves us with the XB12Scg, XB12s and XB9s. Thoughts? I want to test them all but I am leaning towards the XB9, with the styling flair of the cg (remove grip protectors, headlight grill, etc..., all the super moto stuff).

But I have to see with they actually feel like before deciding which to get, if the 12 is powerful but still allows me to get on it and get use of all the gears (unlike the R6) and feel like I am riding a slower bike faster rather then a fast bike slower, then Ill get the 12. Otherwise the 9 will probably be plenty of bike for me! Especially in the twisties.

Thoughts on the XB's in general? Which one? Ill likely test ride all three or atleast the 9 and one 12 before making a final decision...

I was thinking about a Duke 690 at first but I think this is more versatile, heavier but still very very flickable, more comfortable, better for longer distance high speed riding then the Duke and probably more powerful (more torque atleast).

·
Registered
281 Posts
Ironic, I clicked on the link and there's a "Are you having trouble with your Buell? Buell Lemon Law" ad going at the bottom of the screen.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
As long as you don't mind excessive vibes (in my opinion), you will probably like the Buell.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I sat on a few of the XB9 things at different dealers and shows, and even though it's my favorite of the buells, I wouldn't get one. It looks like it would be fun for about 10 minutes, then i'd be homesick for the SV.

I'll take that R6 off your hands for you though!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I test rode an XB-12S at a demo day and loves the sht out of it! The only drawbacks (not really complaints) were the vibratious (is that even a word?) idle and the seat height (they make a lower CG model). Ergos were perfect...I was sitting straight up with my arms relaxed. Seemed like it'd be comfortable all day!

Note: I would definitely go with the XB-12. It was quicker than the SV, but not by much. Having to shift so soon doesn't help!

·
Registered
469 Posts
A lot of people will sh*t all over the buells, but they are actually very nice. My friend had an xb9 and it was great. Still has plenty of power under 100mph or so. I doubt you would need the 1200.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought an XB12Ss (the long version - I'm 6'4") a week ago, and I haven't stopped smiling. The power is all down low in the rpm range, as well as the gobs of torque. Yeah, it'll shake your fillings loose at idle, but it smooths out around 2k rpm. Frankly, I think that's part of its charm.
I've always been a big fan of the styling, and their unconventional approach to bike design/engineering. You will probably be fine with the XB9, but all the guys I've met with the XB9 said they'd love to get a XB12 sometime. Either way, I think you'll be happy with your choice.

BTW, the stock seat is 1,000,000X more comfortable than the SV stock seat. :D

·
Banned
296 Posts
2 of my best friends have a Buell XB12R. It's similar to the SV as far as torque/power profiles and they seem to love them.

Both are good riders, and I consider myself to be not bad but neither can loose me in twisties despite almost twice the displacement. In the straights I don't think they are any faster either. 90 degree italian style V-twin vs. 45 degree american style V-twin.... I'm going with the 90 degree even though it doesn't sound like a monster at idle.

My full-fairing SV gets much more attention than the Buells when parked (by the ladies anyway, and I care less what dudes think)

OH YEAH!!! The redline is like 5800 rpms or something STUPID low.... sucks

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
A lot of people will sh*t all over the buells, but they are actually very nice. My friend had an xb9 and it was great. Still has plenty of power under 100mph or so. I doubt you would need the 1200.
he's riding an R6 now, I believe the 9 would feel too underpowered

·
Registered
43 Posts
A couple more things:
Peak hp on the 12 is at 6800 rpm, and at 7500 on the 9...not too far from redline, but certainly not a bike with a 5800 redline. It's a very flat curve too. Feels like all the power is there at 2500, unlike the SV. Don't get me wrong, I love the SV, but the Buell is a different animal altogether.

And yeah, the XB9 only has 92 hp, while the XB12 has 103. I don't know the specs for an R6 (never was interested in them), but I bet that, even though it has more power, it's waaay up high in the power band. The OP said he didn't feel like he was able to use the R6 to its full potential due to this. Once again, the XB's power is pretty low, and therefore more useable during normal use (and not wringing out the throttle all the time).

And back to the vibrations: It reminds me of a tractor at idle. A really fast, really fun tractor...

·
Registered
554 Posts
i sold my sv for an xb12scg and havent regretted it one bit. i absolutely love the bike.

the radial brake is amazing, the suspension is great, the stock seat is actually tolerable. the torque is great.

dyno sheet from wheeler's

check out www.badweatherbikers.com and www.buelletinboard.com

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow, I hadn't seen those curves before. That explains why it feels like it is going to throw me off and leave me behind at 2500 rpm.

This site is better than the Buell sites, though. Neither of their sites seem to get much traffic...or at least as much as here.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Transmission is fly by wire? I wonder what it would be like to not be able to feel the gears

·
Registered
364 Posts
Watch the vid @ 1:45 ish. "The transmission is fly-by wire system"

My understanding of Fly By Wire (from wiki about airplane controls)

"A fly-by-wire system actually replaces manual control of the aircraft with an electronic interface. The movements of flight controls are converted to electronic signals, and flight control computers determine how to move the actuators at each control surface to provide the expected response. The actuators are usually hydraulic, but electric actuators have been used."

1 - 20 of 88 Posts