Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im in the market for a bike to upgrade from the 650 and im wondern if any bodys ridden the buell xb9 or 12. i like buells i would love to get one. the gas in the tank and oil in the swing arm are sweet. as is the virtually maintenece free belt final drive. i just think the harley motor may be hard to live with compaiired to the silky sv. if youve ridden one give me some feedback thanks.

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
I have an 07 xb9r, my wife has an 07 sv650. The two are remarkably similar in road manners. Mine has an aftermarket slip on, but is otherwise stock. Hers also has an aftermarket high mount slip on, an the rest of the motor and gearing are stock.

The way I think of it, the xb9 is an sv650 with a gsxr front end, a good rear shock and a 180 rear tire. That's basically it. Power output is very similar, though the SV has much faster throttle response which makes it feel faster. She has a naked with dirt bike bars, and the two have very different tires, so I can't really compare flick ability and turn in characteristics to my clip ons.

Things I prefer on the Buell over the SV:
Brakes
Suspension. This thing is dead stable in corners.
Funky looks
Stock seat comfort
No chain maintenance or valve adjustments
ECM tuning can be done at home using a $40 cable and free software on your laptop. Google ECMSpy for details, tons of Buell owners tune their own bikes safely and easily. I'll be doing this in the near future.

Things I prefer on the SV over the Buell:
Liquid cooling. This is HUGE. The Buell needs extra cooling scoops, header wrap and a rich engine tune to be comfortable. It is HOT on your legs/crotch.
SV can take a slipon without needing a tune. My Buell needs a tune bad, it's running really lean with the slip on.
Mods and replacement parts are cheaper and easier to source.
Sleek, sleeper look.
More suitable to racing since you don't have to line up against similar cc engines with way higher power output. I'd have to race against liter bikes on my Buell, and it is minutely slower than the SV.
Gearing can be easily altered.
Power delivery makes it feel more powerful.

Long story short, if you're looking for an SV with a little extra, an xb12 will get you better handling and brakes and a bit better acceleration. An xb 9 will gain you the same while keeping similar acceleration to the sv. But don't expect it to be a radically different bike on the road. It really is just a funky looking SV with just a little bit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
My husband has an XB9. I've ridden it a hand full of times.

Overall, I really like it. It handles nicely and has a stiffer suspension than my SV. The throttle response leaves a little to be desired for me. Brakes are fantastic. Generally, I feel the XB just isn't as refined as the SV. It still makes me giggle though. :)

·
MOTORADOR
10,962 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Iv'e ridden the XB9 .....& dollar for dollar, the Sv comes out way ahead!

·
Registered
4,859 Posts
They sold the 1125r and 1125cr for a few years before they got shut down. Those were 1125cc rotax models with liquid cooling and a whole lot of grunt. Those are excellent bikes, if you like the styling.

They didn't sell a ton of them though, so they're a little trickier to find. Plus, half of the Buell owners out there seem to think their bikes are instantly collectible and thus worth $2k more than nada value because 'Buell is closed, those bikes are more valuable than EVAH!'. So there's that to contend with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the xb12 is said to have 100 hp. and 80plus foot lbs of tq id think it would smoke a sv650. and i suppose im mostly worried about the longevity of the motors and tranny. thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I had an XB12R, and currently a 1125R.

The XBs have a lot of character, of course that has a lot to do with the mostly Harley engine.

My personal notes on the XB12R

- Small in size (comfortable riding position for the most part, but a tiny bike, you are looking over the front forks)

- Lots of heat, though a right side scoop helps a lot in that. After installing my right side scoop, I can't remember the rear cylinder fan ever turning on.

- Like most factory bikes, they are tuned lean, which means higher temps. The higher temps heat up the frame, which is what your thighs are wrapped around. I highly recommend lining the inside of the frame with some heat insulation. Best time is when you upgrade the exhaust.

- Brembo frame, Showa fork and Nissin brakes do a good job.

- Make sure to buy the factory frame protectors, you don't want to damage the frame in a light fall, especially since it's also the fuel tank. Holds a good amount of fuel, and I got better mileage than the SV.

- Less engine braking than the SV, which surprised me.

- Tranny doesn't really like clutchless shifting.

- The rpms you would normally shift up on your SV when cruising is close to the redline on the Buell.

- Vibrations. Not just in your fingertips or hands, but your whole body. I rather like it.

- Be prepared for non-motorcycle people asking you about your bike. Mainly why it sounds like a Harley but looks like a sportbike.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Harley motors are very robust even if they are air cooled and the Sportster motor in the Buell has less engine braking than the SV motor because of a heavier flywheel to quell the vibrations I would think.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
True, but the Buell motors are not 100% Harley motors, at least not exact copies of the Sportster motor.

In 03 when the XB motor came out, the cases were different, as is the crank. The cams are reversed, along with fuel injection. Plus other things I'm sure I forgot.

The issue is durability, I'm not sure if they are as durable as the Harley motors. Especially since the motor it's based on was originally designed with 60 hp, while the Buell design goes up to about 100 hp.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
I have an 07 xb9r, my wife has an 07 sv650. The two are remarkably similar in road manners. Mine has an aftermarket slip on, but is otherwise stock. Hers also has an aftermarket high mount slip on, an the rest of the motor and gearing are stock.

The way I think of it, the xb9 is an sv650 with a gsxr front end, a good rear shock and a 180 rear tire. That's basically it. Power output is very similar, though the SV has much faster throttle response which makes it feel faster. She has a naked with dirt bike bars, and the two have very different tires, so I can't really compare flick ability and turn in characteristics to my clip ons.

Things I prefer on the Buell over the SV:
Brakes
Suspension. This thing is dead stable in corners.
Funky looks
Stock seat comfort
No chain maintenance or valve adjustments
ECM tuning can be done at home using a $40 cable and free software on your laptop. Google ECMSpy for details, tons of Buell owners tune their own bikes safely and easily. I'll be doing this in the near future.

Things I prefer on the SV over the Buell:
Liquid cooling. This is HUGE. The Buell needs extra cooling scoops, header wrap and a rich engine tune to be comfortable. It is HOT on your legs/crotch.
SV can take a slipon without needing a tune. My Buell needs a tune bad, it's running really lean with the slip on.
Mods and replacement parts are cheaper and easier to source.
Sleek, sleeper look.
More suitable to racing since you don't have to line up against similar cc engines with way higher power output. I'd have to race against liter bikes on my Buell, and it is minutely slower than the SV.
Gearing can be easily altered.
Power delivery makes it feel more powerful.

Long story short, if you're looking for an SV with a little extra, an xb12 will get you better handling and brakes and a bit better acceleration. An xb 9 will gain you the same while keeping similar acceleration to the sv. But don't expect it to be a radically different bike on the road. It really is just a funky looking SV with just a little bit more.

Hold on a second... the XB9 is slower than an SV650? Why the heck would anyone buy this bike? That would be like me going from an SV650 to a Ducati Monster 696. No freaking way would I make that move.

·
Registered
618 Posts
In CCS Buells (other than the XBRR and 1125's) are classed with lightweights, ie SV650, EX650, hawks, etc.

·
Registered
546 Posts
To go along with what has already been said, the XB12SS/XB12STT and Uly's have: a slightly larger frame that holds more fuel, longer wheel base, and a few other things; just in case you didn't already know it.

If the timing was better, I probably would have bought one over my SV.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts