Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING RANT AHEAD!

GRRRRRRRRRR. Was driving home today down a1a and got my first ticket on the bike for .........wait for it......... veering in my lane! I was rocking the bike left and right, not even taking up 2 motorcycle lanes, for no other reason then I was bored, and got pulled over for it. I still cant believe it. To clarify I wasn't "warming" my tires, I wasn't crossing any lines.

But its OK cause the cop didn't write me up for having my registration sticker in the place its suppose to be on the plate with the reflective screws that hold it in place attached. ( This evidently "obstructs" the sticker.) :bs:

I even stopped and asked 2 local sheriffs, one was a motorman, if they had ever heard of such a thing, and first they said NO and then the older non-motorman laughed at me when I showed him the citation.

I know times are tough but ****!!!

rant off :cussing:

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
You were not operating in excess of the speed limit, or in an unsafe manner, and you did not fail to maintain control of your vehicle. You are entitled to use all of your lane, and, in fact, motorcycle safety advocates recommend you frequently shift positions within your lane. .In other words, you did not commit a moving violation! Fight it!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yup, if you're convinced you have a case....fight it.

But just so you know, stopping to ask other officers if they've ever heard of what you were cited for means little or nothing. It's not as if the fact that someone in the field hasn't heard of particular violation means that it doesn't exist.

"Experts" in every field imaginable learn new stuff every day.

Also, your thread title is a little ridiculous. ONE officer pulled you over for something you don't feel was justified....

;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
just say that you were dodging debris or oil stains on the road.

get disclosure on the cop's notes. i'm sure he would not think of noting the road condition.

also see if the notes say the number of swerves. if it doesn't, you can easilly say you swerved twice to avoid gravel/oil stains/potholes/whatever.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I got stopped for that before. Cop asked why I was weaving. I said I was freezing and was trying to get warm blood back into my legs. Cop asked if I had been drinking. I told him I wouldn't have been freezing my ass if I had been drinking. He had a laugh and let me go.

It probably helped that he had to wait for 5 minutes as I extracted my hands out of my rhino hands, took off my gloves, took off my glove liners, helmet, balaclava, neck gaiter, unzipped jacket and two liners to get my drivers license.....which I dropped because I couldn't feel my fingers....all the while my teeth were chattering.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You can get a ticket for weaving back and forth in lane in a car, too. It's not "normal operation" and can be cited as reckless operation. I know, it doesn't make much sense, but there you go.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the statute referenced on the ticket:

316.089 Driving on roadways laned for traffic.--Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly marked lanes for traffic, the following rules, in addition to all others consistent herewith, shall apply:

(1) A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely within a single lane and shall not be moved from such lane until the driver has first ascertained that such movement can be made with safety.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
You can only be charged for what was cited on the ticket. From the statute cited, you were given a citation for failure to maintain your lane. Since you never left your lane, you never violated the statute. Case dismissed!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts