Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone else had this happen? i dont know if its because its modular, or because its a ****** fulmer. hes got some scratches on his face from where it came open mid fall. both the retaining tabs sheared off.

i wouldnt trust a super cheap helmet myself, but i would expect better than this.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Yeah there are a lot of reports about modular's opening on impact, but just as many folks have had crashes where they didn't. I don't wear one but don't have a problem with them.

And for the record those Fulmer's cost more than my Scorpion, so I wouldn't consider them super cheap.

·
Registered
93 Posts
modular helmets are as good protection in a crash as a 3/4 helmet, they mechanism that holds the face shield down is just a piece of plastic, MAYBE a piece of metal in some brands, but still will flip open in a high impact situation.

When I sell a modular, I always tell my customer this, I am a firm believer in full face helmets no matter what you ride, when I ride my buddies cruiser I wear my full face. I like my face and my skin :)

just my input

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
i'll grant ya, it's better than nothin and at least there're WEARING a helmet, but, IMHO, if you wear a flip-up, ya might as well wear an open face, same protection!

·
Registered
919 Posts
I just don't see the point in them. I'm glad he's OK. But I would think it could happen on any brand of flip up.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
A modular helmet is a 3/4 helmet with better wind protection. I dont know if they do because i have never checked but it would be nice if they had a warning on them that said that the chin bar is not meant to provide protection in the even of an accident.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I can see someone running a motorcycle course could like the flip up design, so they can talk a lot easier when people come to a stop.

But that's about it.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
anyone else had this happen? i dont know if its because its modular, or because its a ****** fulmer. hes got some scratches on his face from where it came open mid fall. both the retaining tabs sheared off.
By "mid fall" I assume you mean after the initial hit as opposed to coming open in the air before he hit. Did he think the part that came open provided any protection against the initial impact? If so, that would probably be better protection than an open face 3/4. Scratches are better than a mutilated face.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
By "mid fall" I assume you mean after the initial hit as opposed to coming open in the air before he hit. Did he think the part that came open provided any protection against the initial impact? If so, that would probably be better protection than an open face 3/4. Scratches are better than a mutilated face.
mid-crash i guess would be a better term :p

i had just never heard about how they survived in a crash, never really looked into it actually. needless to say ill stick to my full-face.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts