Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so we were driving down the road, and my buddy got pulled over for recklace driving, the cop says he was speeding and did a wheelie on his '99 ex250. What should he do? Should he fight it in court? He did not do a wheelie at all. And its almost impossible to do one on a 250. This cop was just discriminating against bikers.

·
Registered
358 Posts

I've been pulled over for the same thing, minus the wheelie accusation, also on a 250. Had the cop seen me earlier he wouldn't have let me go. The wheelie makes it sound like the cop is being a *******, but the rest is certainly possible.

How fast did the cop say he was going, though? Common mistake when giving tickets to a N250 I'd imagine is claiming a speed impossible on that bike because it "looks" fast.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Go fight it!!!! by all means!!!! Dont be a dick to them though, because they always have the upper hand. Think out a good speel. Be professional. Bring evidence of your ideas. Be polite. The cops usually try to scare you out of going to court because they dont want to deal with it.

I was waiting for my time to go into the court room and I was listening to a cop tell someone else...you know, you could get worse punishment from the judge then this ticket. He was being all sly about it, and scared the person to just pay the ticket there and then. Dont fall for that. Just make sure you go in prepared. The cops do this for a living, you need to have a solid argument!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well the solid argument would be, it is impossible to do a whellie on a 250 going at any speed faster that 5 miles per hour, so if he was speeding and popping a whellie than something is wrong with the story

·
Registered
61 Posts
get a lawyer that knows bikes...... some states are really tough on guys that they nab for wheelies aka florida and a couple others states impound if not worse .....show up at court.....if you can't afford a lawyer and try to talk to the district attorney ...... i got a bunch of tickets showed up with no lawyer and 2 month after the original posted court date and they still gave me a break (point wise) it just cost a lot in fines ....and I had prior speeding offenses..............best bet is to spring for a lawyer!!!!!!!!!! take it from a dude that has done it both ways .....honestly you pay either way the lawyer usually gets you less points

·
Registered
690 Posts
That is true to someone who is familiar with bikes.....Judges have no idea. They think you are some punk kid who is triyin to get outta a ticket, which maybe you are lol. But still.

Find a way to prove your theory. Maybe go as far as to video take you gauges at certain speeds tryin to pull a wheelie in a parking lot.

Have a chart showing the tourque curves at certain RPM's and how heavy the bike is. Tell him thres not enough tourque to lift the bike. Babble him with math and science.

Give a reason the cop may have been confused. Say you missed a gear and reved the bike too much so you can understand why the cop may have thought you did a wheelie due to the loud rev.

Take a picture of the road and say its not possible to do a wheelie here (if applicable)

If all else fails, be honest. Say your a good kid. You really didnt mean it. You understand the officer is doing his job but you just cant afford this ticket because your a student and have no money. Tell him you have had a clean record up till now (if applicable).

Go to town. Its worth it, because wreckless driving is a ****** ass record. Trust me. I have a few of those on my record. Totally sucks. Go through all the stop to get outta it if its the last hting you do. Because once you get that on your record, you can guarantee that every cop that lays eyes on you will give you a ticket without as much as a hello. If you keep your record clean, its sooo much easier to keep it clean.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Without hiring a lawyer and having an "expert witness" who can vouch for his inability to do a wheelie on that particular bike, I'd say your buddy's most likely screwed. Like Streetlethal said, a judge isn't likely to know that a 2fiddy isn't the best stunt machine around. What's the fine gonna be for the ticket? If it weren't a huge amount I'd just bend over and take it so I'm not out part of a day's pay for going to court, plus legal representation which I don't think you'd possibly win without unless the judge is a bike nut ;). Maybe he can get traffic school so he might not lose points off his license though. That'd be one possible plus to going to court. Maybe see if any of your friends know the judge?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I'm not a great rider by any stretch of the imagination, but I can pull a wheelie on a 1963 Honda 90S from 20MPH. It's not even that hard to do, so the "can't wheelie a 250 Ninja" isn't a good argument.

In any case, the cop wrote it so it's your word against his. Were you doing anything else that you shouldn't have been? Speeding, weaving around in the lane, monkeying with your fellow rider or riders? If you were doing nothing wrong then the cop just wanted to write a ticket and you may be hosed. Still, if you've got the time go to court and plead your case.

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
so what i dont spell good, should he fight it in court?
no, he'd lose, you are a bad speller ;D

i know here, he'd be screwed, even if he didn't wheelie or even be on the bike, a cop can walk up to you, lie his butt off and give a ticket, it's his word against the cop, guess who they believe more??

·
Premium Member
6,627 Posts
I'm not a great rider by any stretch of the imagination, but I can pull a wheelie on a 1963 Honda 90S from 20MPH. It's not even that hard to do, so the "can't wheelie a 250 Ninja" isn't a good argument.
but he was speeding and did a wheelie, true anything can wheelie, but the speed to wheelie a 250 would be low, maybe a better phrase would be "you can't wheelie a 250 ninja at the speed limit"

1 - 20 of 46 Posts