Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my buddie wants a bike but is short on cash, i want some oppenions, i found a '93 ninja 250 for $1200 obo, I'm reasonable compitent with motorcycle mechanics, but there is only so much i can do. we could change the plugs, oil/ filter, as soon as he bought it, id be checking the chain, tires, and everything else and test driving it, but its kinda a gamble with an older bike and i dont want him to be dissipointed, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
286 Posts
The Ninjas are pretty solid - the design hasn't changed much since then (until last year). Parts are also dirt cheap, but your buddy should be considering if riding is the right choice for him if he's that short on cash. Remember he has the insure the sucker, pay for the title, licensing and most importantly - he needs to buy gear! That can be mucho mulah.

Even doing gear on the absolute cheapest:
60 for a decent helmet online (closeout price)
100 for a leather jacket (closeout price)
20 for gloves minimum (closeout price)
200 - If he has boots and is willing to ride w/o riding pants.

Insurance will probably be 150-250 PPO
letsay 200

Titleing is probably 100-200 bucks
Letsay 150

Licensing 50 bucks at the DMV, 50-200 for the MSF course
letsay total 150

Hes at 700 on top of the Ninja's price - assumign it doens't need work or new tires.

You can probably get the Ninja down to 1k or less, it isn't worth much.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes $900 was the offer i was thinking should work +200 for a used jacket, and a helmet, $100 for tag and title, $200 for msf coarse, thats $1400, so even then he'd have a few bucks to spare, i know motorcycling aint cheap but he got 2 grand for an insurance check when his car was hit, but he's not going to get it fixed cause the car is already cosmetically ******

·
Registered
286 Posts
Yeah it seems like hes got a little room to spare. Just be sure he gets some awsome insurance to cover injury etc... but its good that he's starting on a 250 instead of wanting to use the 2k as a downpayment on a Ducati. 100 bucks buys you a new jacket from motorcyclecloseouts (MotoGp TT - fits like euro sizes so size up from US clothing)
60 bucks will but a ECE 2205 helmet KBC - VR1X from motorcyclesuperstore, 20 bucks for gloves will give it free shipping to boot. MSF can be found for like 50 bucks ... I do not know about titling and registration fees but they should be under 300 for a 1k bike. The MSF is possible to fail if he hasn't been on a bike before so he should probably parking lot a bit before he actually takes the BRC.

I am assuming he's a UF student? 2-3 hundo can buy insurance - they give you room and board if you are injured and can't finish out the semester. They offered that at UMichigan.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
insurance in florida doesn't cover injury, just you bike, so its pointless. I loved my 250 ninja it was fun when i first started, i never gave a **** what anyone said, but anything with 2 cylinders (minus maybe a 1000) is good for a beginner.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
yes $900 was the offer i was thinking should work +200 for a used jacket, and a helmet, $100 for tag and title, $200 for msf coarse, thats $1400, so even then he'd have a few bucks to spare, i know motorcycling aint cheap but he got 2 grand for an insurance check when his car was hit, but he's not going to get it fixed cause the car is already cosmetically ******
I'd spend more on the helmet and less on the jacket.... you can get a good jacket for less than $200 at newenough.com.... I got 2 as they have good deals... but there is no way in hell I'll put my head in a cheap helmet... look around you can get good deals on them too...

The gear Nazi's here say you have to have dedicated riding pants and boots... I've crashed a couple times and while you need good footwear, anything that is slightly padded and stays on the foot is good enough... I had leather half boots on... the zippers were bad on the side of them so when I crashed, they came off... tie up ones would be fine if you double knot the laces to stay away from the pegs... my steel toe boots are high enough the laces are out of the way and would not come off.... I just don't ride with them because the toe is so thick... but they work in a pinch...

I've ridden in denim pants for almost 18 years... crashed a couple times.... they are good enough for tooling around... sure you get some rash and there is no padding... but you can always wear vollyball kneepads if you have to... and road rash is not that bad at speeds under 45mph in denim... I barely tore my pants the last couple times I went down.... it's a risk I'll take

If I raced or was a squid on the road or did hard canyon carving I'd worry more about my pants... Carhartts are even better than jeans due to the multiple layers of thick material...

gloves and a helmet are where the money should go in my opinion.... although I've been riding with roper gloves for years.... no padding in a crash... but they work well against rash.... as they are tough leather.... I got them for $20 but you can get propper moto gloves for that on closeouts too....

as far as the bikes go.. has this guy driven a bike before??

I started on an XS 400 yamaha... and even the 600 ninja seemed weak... but if he never drove anything, I guess a 250 is cheap and a decent enough bike...

he could probably get some decent 80's and 90's standards that would do him for a while... the 90's secas can be had for cheap and they were good bikes...

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
he's ridden my 650 in the parking lot, thats it, he was considering a scooter before i put this motorcycle idea in his head

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
he's ridden my 650 in the parking lot, thats it, he was considering a scooter before i put this motorcycle idea in his head

aaah ok then anything under 650 (except for the rockets) should be good to learn on... find a GS500 they are a great all rounder and will do most people for a long time without looking like ass...

·
Registered
104 Posts
I went to buy a 250 with cash in hand but I just couldn't get comfortable on it after 10-15 minutes trying. I still think it's an awesome/fun bike.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my buddy wants something with fairings and the 500's are a bit too expensive, they seem to sell really really well, while sv650's are almost the same price. im not sure why you found the 250 so uncomfortable its way better than my 650 with clip on handlebars, the ergonomics are perfect on the bike, and im 6'2 190lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
my buddy wants something with fairings and the 500's are a bit too expensive, they seem to sell really really well, while sv650's are almost the same price. im not sure why you found the 250 so uncomfortable its way better than my 650 with clip on handlebars, the ergonomics are perfect on the bike, and im 6'2 190lbs.

250 will get you around... but even my 400 was lacking.... granted an 80's xs400 was probably the same as a 90's ninja 250 on hp... what is it at... 25-35 hp or so? How often does he have to ride roads over 50mph?

I'd avoid the plastic clad bike for a first one.... as they are bound to dump it over many times... and the plastic gets expensive...

·
Registered
286 Posts
I disagree about the helmets, if you do research into standards and practices you'll find that the best helmets and the safest - are not the most expensive. When it comes to safety, you currently can't bea the BSI british standards - but you can't get a helmet in the US that conforms to it. The ECE2205 is next, which was significantly harder crashes than the SNELL M2005 standard, but lacks the double hit in the same spot requirement which the SNELL has and makes their helmets alot less safe as they are harder.

Supposedly the new SNELL M2010 standards (yet to be released) will be more in line with the ECE 2205 but they are currently not. Also ECE helmets must be tested for conformity in every batch while SNELL is a once in a lifetime test (any changes could render a helmet less protective but SNELL would nto know). There are few common ECE conforming helmets still in the US -> HJC Carbons conform @ 350+ a pop, SparX conforms at 60-70 a pop, Shark Conforms ONLY to ECE not SNELL by choice (they are a safety obsessed company- which says alot about SNELL) and finally only ONE KBC helmet conforms - the VR1x. All the euro helmets like AGV etc are considered the best helmets, yet they conform exclusively to ECE. Of the common helmets I mentioned, two are available for under 100. If you insist on getting a Shoei or an Arai, import one. For 700 bucks, buy one that isn't tampered with to get it to conform with SNELL.

·
Registered
20 Posts
craigslist! I checked craigslist every day for 7 months until I found my bike. I recommend he takes the MSF course first. With a little patient he can find a descent 250 for a good price - I found my bike for less than what I was willing to spend. As for gear, it can be expensive, but as I just recently learn, you can find great deals online :)

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
craigslist! I checked craigslist every day for 7 months until I found my bike. I recommend he takes the MSF course first. With a little patient he can find a descent 250 for a good price - I found my bike for less than what I was willing to spend. As for gear, it can be expensive, but as I just recently learn, you can find great deals online :)

Kijiji.com is good in canada anyway... they have US cities too but I am not sure so many people use it in the USA...

·
Premium Member
3,662 Posts
I am saying is you generally don't get decent helmets under $150 unless there is some crazy markdown...

DOT is the minimum standard and some think that is just fine.... but it is up to you what you wear...

also consider which brands fail testing more often than others and use that when making a choice too...

it's not just safety though... cheap helmets feel cheap on the head and are usually not too comfortable... parts break off easier... paint quality is not as good.. etc... other things like noise and quality of function are also to be considered... sure you can get a HJC for under $150.. but everyone I know finds them uncomfortable, the paint wears poorly, they are noisy and not the best for aerodynamics meaning they yank on the head a lot...

as long as it has a good rating and you fit it correctly then you should be OK... but... you decide what you like to wear.... I like high ratings, good safety, comfortable, not too noisy and very aerodynamic so it doesn't want to rip off my head when I shouldercheck or am riding into a heavy headwind....

Try some on to get the fit right... the search the closeouts etc... you can get some good deals...

New enough has a teknic jacket for $79 right now which seems to be not too bad....
do a review and you get a discount on your next purchase.... so they are a decent site for gear if you try it on at a shop first

check this...http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/textile_jackets_and_pants/teknic/freestyle_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

I love my Tourmaster Jett-2... and my Draft air...

The Jett is about $125 though
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/jett_series_2_textile_motorcycle_jacket.html

Draft is a summer mesh for about $100 (I got it for 89 on sale)
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/tour_master/draft_air_mesh_motorcycle_jacket.html

the Jett is a better all around jacket as you can open the vents, take out the liner and it is decent in the warm.... close the vents and it is waterproof... and with the liner I wear it in 20-30f weather as well as 100f weather...

generally in the summer I wear the mesh though unless it looks like rain or I'll be riding at night or early morning

I disagree about the helmets, if you do research into standards and practices you'll find that the best helmets and the safest - are not the most expensive. When it comes to safety, you currently can't bea the BSI british standards - but you can't get a helmet in the US that conforms to it. The ECE2205 is next, which was significantly harder crashes than the SNELL M2005 standard, but lacks the double hit in the same spot requirement which the SNELL has and makes their helmets alot less safe as they are harder.

Supposedly the new SNELL M2010 standards (yet to be released) will be more in line with the ECE 2205 but they are currently not. Also ECE helmets must be tested for conformity in every batch while SNELL is a once in a lifetime test (any changes could render a helmet less protective but SNELL would nto know). There are few common ECE conforming helmets still in the US -> HJC Carbons conform @ 350+ a pop, SparX conforms at 60-70 a pop, Shark Conforms ONLY to ECE not SNELL by choice (they are a safety obsessed company- which says alot about SNELL) and finally only ONE KBC helmet conforms - the VR1x. All the euro helmets like AGV etc are considered the best helmets, yet they conform exclusively to ECE. Of the common helmets I mentioned, two are available for under 100. If you insist on getting a Shoei or an Arai, import one. For 700 bucks, buy one that isn't tampered with to get it to conform with SNELL.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread so here it is in the right one.

I was thinking about grabbing this one. It's only about 3 hours south of you. http://treasure.craigslist.org/mcy/1029935180.html
Only reason I haven't checked it out yet is because I really don't want a 1st gen, even though I could probably get this one down to 1100 depending on the interest in the area.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I am saying is you generally don't get decent helmets under $150 unless there is some crazy markdown...
This has been proven wrong by a long list of tests, whereas these:
it's not just safety though... cheap helmets feel cheap on the head and are usually not too comfortable... parts break off easier... paint quality is not as good.. etc... other things like noise and quality of function are also to be considered... sure you can get a HJC for under $150.. but everyone I know finds them uncomfortable, the paint wears poorly, they are noisy and not the best for aerodynamics meaning they yank on the head a lot...
are absolutely right on.
But seeing the guy is on a tight budget I´d think he´d be better off with a certified helmet that fits reasonably well and some earplugs and a scarf. I rode that way for a long time - and now I have a rather expensive (but not flashy) helmet for the very reasons you mentioned.

as long as it has a good rating and you fit it correctly then you should be OK...
For the beginning, I think so. If he find that motorcycling is "his thing", he´ll upgrade to a better helmet eventually when el cheapo helmet wears out.
And the 250 probably won´t rip his head off anyway.

Ciao
Jan

·
Registered
20 Posts
I accidentally posted this in the wrong thread so here it is in the right one.

I was thinking about grabbing this one. It's only about 3 hours south of you. http://treasure.craigslist.org/mcy/1029935180.html
Only reason I haven't checked it out yet is because I really don't want a 1st gen, even though I could probably get this one down to 1100 depending on the interest in the area.
Looks good -- good price too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts