Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend a good buddy of mine came over to change his chain on his VFR800, and the punch on the chain breaker broke with only applying pressure with the included bar, not a 14mm wrench as the directions suggest for tough pins. I've used it before with no problems.

The tool was the motion pro chain breaker such as; http://www.kneedraggers.com/MOTION-PRO-CHAIN-BREAKERPRESSRIVETING-TOOL

I did grind off the riveted portion of the pin, but didn't squirt it down with penetrating oil, Should I have?

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm not trying to bash motion pro, as I generally have good luck with their tools, just trying to figure out what went wrong.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I've used a chain breaker before, and I'm 99% positive it was the Motion Pro. I didn't even bother to grind the rivet off, I just pushed it right out. Used it on about 3 different chains so far.

·
Premium Member
2,843 Posts
I've used a chain breaker before, and I'm 99% positive it was the Motion Pro. I didn't even bother to grind the rivet off, I just pushed it right out. Used it on about 3 different chains so far.
+1 just email Motion Pro and maybe they will hook you up...

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I read in a magazine review that MP claims that you don't need to grind the end of the pins. Either way they (the magazine) suggested you do. You did and it still broke? That sucks. I'd be contacting them since that is not a cheap tool.

Speaking of cheap tools, I used a breaker from Harbor Freight (everyone knows which one :p ) and it worked great. It comes with an extra pin just in case. I also used it to set the pins (using a YouTube vid) and that kinda destroyed it but it worked and wasn't designed for that at all.

Anyway, let us know what happens. I'm curious to see if MP backs up their product.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I read in a magazine review that MP claims that you don't need to grind the end of the pins. Either way they (the magazine) suggested you do. You did and it still broke? That sucks. I'd be contacting them since that is not a cheap tool.

Speaking of cheap tools, I used a breaker from Harbor Freight (everyone knows which one :p ) and it worked great. It comes with an extra pin just in case. I also used it to set the pins (using a YouTube vid) and that kinda destroyed it but it worked and wasn't designed for that at all.

Anyway, let us know what happens. I'm curious to see if MP backs up their product.
haha thanks for throwing that in my face lol. Actually when it broke we went to harbor freight looking for that chain breaker but they didn't have any in stock. :( We ended up just using the tool as an anvil and pushing the pin out with a hammer and punch.

Any who, I sent an email to Motion Pro about an hour ago and they already got back to me! They are sending me out a new pin :)

Another win for the good guys! Excellent CS on their part. I will certainly be buying more of their tools in the future just because of that level of service.

·
Premium Member
2,108 Posts
Master link rivets look a lot easier to push out without grinding than OEM link pins. Seems to me it would be really hard to push out OEM link pins without grinding, maybe that is why some people end up needing replacement breaker pins.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Master link rivets look a lot easier to push out without grinding than OEM link pins. Seems to me it would be really hard to push out OEM link pins without grinding, maybe that is why some people end up needing replacement breaker pins.
Three chains and I broke them all wherever it was convenient for me to reach on the particular bike. Assuming an average of 110 links per chain, that's approximately a 0.9% chance for each chain. My luck isn't THAT good David ;D

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
haha thanks for throwing that in my face lol. Actually when it broke we went to harbor freight looking for that chain breaker but they didn't have any in stock. :( We ended up just using the tool as an anvil and pushing the pin out with a hammer and punch.

Any who, I sent an email to Motion Pro about an hour ago and they already got back to me! They are sending me out a new pin :)

Another win for the good guys! Excellent CS on their part. I will certainly be buying more of their tools in the future just because of that level of service.
Motion Pro has awesome customer service.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack or take any cred from MP (just tryin to help out fellow riders), but cycle gear has Stockton chain tools for $30 (usually $70. just got email today). Had I not just bought a MP, I'd be goin to get a Stockton.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Double post sorry

1 - 17 of 17 Posts