Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I over torqued the lower rear engine mount bolt (near kickstand), and the bolt snapped off. I found a bolt at my local hardware store that was the exact same size, but it was grade 2. It only cost one dollar.

Question: Is it safe to ride the bike with a grade 2 bolt?

I actual bought a replacement OEM bolt, but it won't come in for another week and a half. The bolt without shipping cost (including nut) was $20. Is there that much of a difference?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Umm.. . . If it fits and you really need to ride I would go for it. Just go easy on the throttle. Make sure you always tighten the nut and not the bolt too.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Probably

If you had the head of the old bolt you could read the markings and identify it. Then you could buy an equivalent bolt from a local supplier for a couple of dollars. Some OEM bolts have no markings on them, in which case you need to be more careful. Buying the OEM bolt means you've got the right material. Comfort factor, but $20 is a bit crazy.

You would be safe with an 8.8 (equal to a grade 5) or a 10.8 (equal to a grade 8) bolt of the same size.

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
The problem with the higher grade bolts is they are harder and, I've heard from a bolt dealer, more brittle. I'd actually feel safer with a lower grade bolt because it might actually break before the aluminum of the engine shears such as the OP's did.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts