Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding into work today, I was forced to take a detour for construction. I knew a shortcut besides the detour, so I took that. Unfortunately, the last stretch of this road was gravel. No big deal, but I think I somehow managed to kick a decent sized rock up at the engine sprocket and literally snapped my clutch push rod in half. My clutch cable still pulls, but there is little resistance. It's only the small spring that's working against it but the clutch screw assembly still rotates fine.

I'm hoping that the external clutch push rod is meant to be a weak point and shear off like it did to avoid internal clutch damage. So will I likely just need to replace the rod as well as the oil seal that it slides through? I'm hoping it's as simple as it seems. There was some oil coming from the hole so I'm guessing the seal is needed also.

The rod that broke is #15 in the diagram, the seal #23: http://www.bikebandit.com/2003-suzuki-sv650-sv650k3/o/m147670#sch500084

Anything else I should check on? My chain tension seems alright, certainly not loose enough to jump up and hit the rod itself, though the road was bumpy and I was going along at a good clip. Perhaps it did find some slack as the suspension traveled all the way?

Regardless, I'm just trying to think if there's anything else to look for. I already called my Suzuki dealer and they're looking at about a week lead time to get the parts. If anyone has the parts, please let me know!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just FYI, I believe the same part is used for all 650 engines. I was able to use a donor rod from my 2000.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts