Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While attempting to install my new chain yesterday, I had a bit of bad luck.
I'm using a brand new $90 motion-pro tool set.  Which has TERRIBLE instructions, by the way.

I tried breaking the chain with the tool, and wound up breaking the tool tip.  So, I wound up just dremeling thru a side plate to get it off. :mad:

Then, when attempting to rivet on the new link... the rivet tool tip breaks.   Suck.
So now I have this rivet on my chain, which seems pretty sturdy (I can't pry off the side plate), but the ends are not flared.  And a $90 tool that did absolutely nothing for me.

Any ideas on other ways to get that rivet on?  Would a c-clamp of some sort work?
Anyone have experience with motion-pro customer service?  I'd like to get replacement parts so I can sell this piece of junk...

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've got the same tool and had no problem with doing two chain replacements so far. When putting a new rivet master on, I use the tool to press the side plate on, then once it's in position, I then flare the rivets. IIRC, you have to move the tool from one pin to the other to get the plate on, you simply can't aim for the middle of the plate, as it will push down further on one pin than the other.

Andy

·
Registered
430 Posts
the tool is not a piece of junk. I hate to say that it is operater error that broke the tip. I've used mine many times without problem, but they are easy to break. People are usually very skittish with loaning their rivet tool because you can break them pretty easy if you aren't carefull. replacement pins are not very expensive and you can get them at most shops near you. don't skimp on getting the rivet on right, you could end up fixing your entire engine or leg if that thing comes off.

A

·
0 Posts
I ran into this problem the first time I used the MP chain tool. You have to grind or file off the heads of the rivets if your chain is 520 or larger, then use the press out tip. I've had a lot of trouble with the rivet installation because it's hard to make the anvil seat straight, but it does work.

Kneedraggers sells replacements tips, they aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I thought the manual states shouldn't break or try to with a chain larger than 525.

Grav.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I just used mine this weekend with no issues. I even like Orangegilly borrow it and he didn't have any issues...

The instructions do suck.. but the tool is good. Buy a cheap chain breaker ($15) instead of using the PM tool.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Charles_Jum said:
While attempting to install my new chain yesterday, I had a bit of bad luck.
I'm using a brand new $90 motion-pro tool set. Which has TERRIBLE instructions, by the way.

I tried breaking the chain with the tool, and wound up breaking the tool tip. So, I wound up just dremeling thru a side plate to get it off. :mad:

Then, when attempting to rivet on the new link... the rivet tool tip breaks. Suck.
So now I have this rivet on my chain, which seems pretty sturdy (I can't pry off the side plate), but the ends are not flared. And a $90 tool that did absolutely nothing for me.

Any ideas on other ways to get that rivet on? Would a c-clamp of some sort work?
Anyone have experience with motion-pro customer service? I'd like to get replacement parts so I can sell this piece of junk...
I have heavy duty chain riveter made by a machinist-not a commercial product.I can loan you if you promise to send it back to me.Just pay me the shipping and I'll ship it to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts