|
   V1|  V2
       |
   C  |

C = Cage
B = me on the Bike
V1 = miniVan 1
V2 = miniVan 2

So I'm coming up to a light in the right lane and I had just passed V1 doing just over the speed limit of 45 and we approach a light which had just turned red as I was about 70-100 yards away.  As I'm slowing at a casual normal pace and moving to the left side of the right lane for safety, V1 is behind me about 15 yards and starts moving into my lane and not slowing down much.  He (a man in his early 40's) hammers his brakes at the last moment with his right wheels on the white line.  I was pretty freaked out; fortunately, nothing came of it... except he was still only 6 feet behind me with his right wheels on the white line.

Up behind me comes V2, a red late model minivan with a 50's hispanic woman driving by herself.  She stopped only 4 or 5 feet behind me. As you all know, that is really close and seems even closer in your mirrors. I thought, "well, you suck, but I'm just going to sit here and not worry about it."

Sitting at the light, I noticed SUV had one of those bumper stickers that says something to the effect of "...motorcycles are everywhere."   "That's nice and true," I thought.

After a long minute and a half of waiting, the light turns green and I pop it into gear and begin rolling along with everyone else.  As I get to about 15mph and I'm still in first gear and beginning to start moving toward the center of the lane, there is a big wall of red to my right as V2 is right next to me in my lane!  I was pretty freaked out, but mostly dumbfounded.  The woman had her head facing forward but I could see her looking out the corner of her eyes at me. I didn't know what to think until I decided to make sure she knew she was causing a dangerous situation.   With a little throttle and then a clutch grab, I got my right hand free and waved my hand violently for a half second.   When she didn't respond, I straight-punched the side of her sideview mirror with my hard-knuckled Olympia summer glove and the glass fell off and was left dangling by two wires (I assume for either defrost or some kind of blinker).  Then I grabbed that throttle again and accidentally ripped a little wheelie as I split lanes of the two cars in front of me: one being SUV with the bumpersticker.

Of course, I blasted along and looked back to see if anyone was following (namely a cop or that woman); I was moving good and never saw anyone near me.  All the lights were working for me and the traffic was actually light from then on.

It was exciting, but mostly frightening.  The fear that I would get pinballed between V2 and V1 or some other vehicles and then eat it and get run over drove me to do that. I'd like to think it wasn't just so I could finally say I'd done that before or as a road-rage mentality.  Whether for protection or violent "awareness training" for that woman or out of sport, I did it.  However, I wonder what the police would have had to say about the whole situation.

And the woman?  I hope she realized what happened.  The best thing I can hope for her is that her mirror was easily reattachable and she'll realize she shouldn't be driving next to a motorcycle IN THE SAME LANE!!

Josh

EDIT: it's 2am and me grammar is being poorly

·
Registered
23 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
With a little throttle and then a clutch grab, I got me right hand free and waved my hand violently for a half second. When she didn't respond, I straight-punched her the side of her sideview mirror with my hard-knuckled Olympia summer glove and the glass fell off and was left dangling by two wires (I assume for either defrost or some kind of blinker). Then I grabbed that throttle again and accidentally ripped a little wheelie as I split lanes of the two cars in front of me
sorry man, i think that is a little over the top... horns work as well as words if you were that close.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Markb018 said:
sorry man, i think that is a little over the top... horns work as well as words if you were that close.
over the top.. maybe.. but i bet she will pay more attention to bikes in the future.

frankly, i would rather people in cages hate us and think we are mentally unstable madmen than to just not notice us alltogether and end up running us over because they didn't see us.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
itsalex said:
uhm...horn?  im glad u got out okay, tho
I wish the horn could have worked, but I didn't even think to because she already knew I was there... I assume so anyway.

Thanks
Josh

·
Registered
703 Posts
I had a similar situation on my commute to work on Thursday morning. On the parkway (MD 295 for those that want to Google it) when I had to pull over for an EMS vehicle. Woman behind me decides that now is the time to pass me, and she does, pushing me onto the 1.5 foot wide shoulder with curb. I speed back up came up the same side and debated kicking the door or punching the mirror. I did neither. Instead I pulled across the lane blocking traffic (moving at about 15mph due to the accident the EMS vehicle was responding to) and proceeded to let a verbal fury fly from my mouth that would've made my BCT drill sergeants blush. I was about about to get of the bike and march my happy butt back to her while yelling for added emphasis but saw the toddler in the car seat and thought better of it. Needless to say this woman proceeded to stay at least 50 feet behind me the entire time through the accident, including the 20 mins we were stopped while LifeFlight choppers came in.

I'll admit I wasn't an ambassador on two wheels that day, but at least I didn't get a free helicopter ride. Bottom line is you did what you thought you had to and you made it out of the situation unscathed. Using your horn probably would've caused her to swerve into you, whereas a mirror hit plus throttle is a good wake up call.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Shaggy, congrats. We've all wanted to do it at some point or another.

Ambassador? No.

Will she pay attention in the future? You betcha.

rock on.

·
Registered
434 Posts
*APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING APPLAUDING*

BIG +1 for Shaggy

·
Registered
73 Posts
sounds like road rage to me... but seemed like she deserved it... once i was on the freeway late in the night... and this Toyota Celica comes blasting from behind... i could see him jus blowing by all the cars behind me... then switches in my middle lane 50ft behind me and is just going full speed, 110mph+, when he is right on my ass, i thought he was gonna hit me, so i panic, thinking its some drunk or something, and swerve to the left lane, and at the moment i do that, he cuts to the right lane. I was just thinking of how much of an idiot that guy was... he had saw me and had already wanted to pass me, but waited till the last second to do it, i thought, what if i had decided to swerve right instead of left... i would have been dead for sure.. at the moment i hoped he would crash into a barrier or sumthing... i would have totally broke his mirror, if not more.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
WOW. Glad you came out of that ok.

Too bad that no one got a safety lesson that day. Any cager that saw that, the only thing they are going to remember is the crazy biker guy that broke someones mirror, popped a wheelie, and ran away before anyone could scribble down his license number.

I'm not bashing you or anything, I might have done the same thing. Main thing is you got out of a dangerous situation unscathed, and we're all glad for that.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
sounds like you left yourself open with bad lane position, then you resorted to road rage. get a life and learn to ride in traffic and hopefully never near me

·
Registered
114 Posts
I completely agree with Randy. In heavy traffic, don't allow an opening, stay centered in your lane at a light. You also heavily overreacted and could and should be liable for the damage you caused to the minivan. Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
449 Posts
how the hell was she able to squeeze in your lane? No one gets in my lane. I own it.

Still, it was a good story and much satisfaction was to be had. Most people would use a booted foot to take off a mirror. I honestly find it much more stable than using a gloved fist.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I don't think breaking other peoples' stuff is ever the way to solve anything. It's a tough call.....nobody can really say what they would have done in the same situation. I probably would have taken down her license number, maybe blurted a few choice words, but breaking stuff? Nope.....wouldn't have done that.

I'm also a bit perplexed about the thread title. "Broke my first cage miror" sems to imply that this sort of thing happens more frequently than I realized......and is even regarded by some as acceptable as long as the person doing the mirror breaking believes it is.

I dunno. I do know that I'll think it's pretty sad if this sort of thing ever escalates to the point that I see a rider or group of riders adorning their bike gas tanks with little decals of "cage" mirrors to show everyone how many missions they've successfully flown. :-\

·
Registered
786 Posts
you are all a bunch of brainwashed lemmings. That wasn't road rage, that was someone who was in a vunerable situation PROTECTING himself. That stupid bitch will probably pay attention more now. Good on ya, Shaggy!

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
broke not said:
I dunno. I do know that I'll think it's pretty sad if this sort of thing ever escalates to the point that I see a rider or group of riders adorning their bike gas tanks with little decals of "cage" mirrors to show everyone how many missions they've successfully flown. :-\
that would rock! lol j/k ::)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
kingnothing said:
you are all a bunch of brainwashed lemmings.  That wasn't road rage, that was someone who was in a vunerable situation PROTECTING himself.  That stupid B**** will probably pay attention more now.  Good on ya, Shaggy!
tell me how could breaking someones mirror after an insident protect you?

it was CLEARLY bad lane position, damaging someone elses property is VANDALISM and had it been done to my cage, would have been reported to the PD

·
Registered
270 Posts
you gotta do what you gotta do... i usually lay on the horn first, and if they are still there or they are messing with me i may tap the mirror , but i have yet to break one...usually i just turn it backwards, so they have to take the time to pull over and put it back, and think about what they have done its sort of like an indirect time out for not playing well with the bikers :p

1 - 20 of 106 Posts