Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08' sv650s that I bought of the dealership floor. I went through a lot of thing 5 years ago and the bike has been sitting ever since. I am thinking about firing it back up and starting a rebuild with my 6yr old daughter. I understand I need to change all the fluids and battery and all that. But if in going to be going through an fixing I might as well upgrade. So I need suggestions on upgrades. I already have a exhaust, I put a new upgraded rear suspension in a few years ago like a 06' off a ninja or something (can't remember but I used a chart from this site). But I need suggestions on should I do the new front springs and what kind, brakes, things like that. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Tires first. I love my new Pirelli Rosso 3s.
Most folks would do stainless brake lines (Galfer, Spiegler) while flushing the brake fluid. It would be good to check caliper cylinder seals and look for uneven movement.
Lightweight batteries are all over the place so that may be a good option as well.
Sonic Springs has a good online calculator to get the proper spring rate in your forks. I'm 175lbs and run .90kg/mm, they cost about $100. New fork oil is a must (probably 15-20w depending on your needs). Emulators are nice if you ride aggressively but are certainly not needed.
If you're happy with the rear shock then great. I ran a zx6r shock and the spring rate was too far off for me. I went w/ a new YSS for about $400. It's fine but it's no Ohlins.
Really, once you do brakes and suspension an SV is done. They're perfect after that. I went with a R6 front master cylinder (it's a Brembo part and has more squeeze power). That wasn't a bad upgrade but, like emulators, it's not needed. It just depends on how fast you attack a turn.

·
Registered
76 Posts
^That about covers it. I rescued an 08 that had been sitting for a year and gave it a good overhaul (then went a bit nuts on upgrades...)

• Engine oil & filter
  • Coolant flush
  • Air filter
  • Spark plugs
  • Caliper rebuild x3
  • Master cylinder rebuild x2
  • Braided lines, new pads
  • Fork rebuild, heavier oil, new springs
  • ZX10 shock
  • New chain & sprockets
  • Tyres
Check wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, shock linkage.

They're pretty simple machines in terms of running maintenance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts