Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I have been riding Bridgestone BT016's for about 3-4 months. In that time I have put 3600 miles on them. I chose this tire because I commute to work about 50 miles round trip, but I also like to go rip up the mountains. I live in southern California, so I ride around LA and SD county. In that time I have been to Palomar mountain at least 10 times, montazuma rd(Sunrise highway) twice and Angeles Crest twice. I REALLY like the construction of these tires. After all those miles, I alot of tread left in the center of the back tire. The triple compound that Bridgestone uses seems to be really nice. For how hard I have been abusing the shoulders of the tires, the center is still very hard and durable. You can see that I am just about to hit the wear bars in the rain groves on the outside of the back tire.

For the first time in my riding, I have work out a front tire before a back tire. The front tire also rode REALLY well. The dual compound is really nice. The center of the front tire still has a little life too. The sides are very warn out tho. I am totally on the wear bars on both sides. Mind you, I NEVER use my back brake when riding the bike hard in the twisties so the front tire is taking all the braking abuse.

Over all I LOVE these tires. I have been riding them REALLY hard. I think I could push one more hard day in the mountains out of them, but I think we all know that is not wise. I would say that if you need to get some commuting miles out of a tire, but also want to push them super hard in the mountains, these are a great tire. The only thing I would like is a slightly pointy-er profile on the back tire. I would like to have a little more shoulder. Like you can see from the pictures, the edges are pretty torn up. Right after a run on the mountain, they are WAY worse. But overall, the very best tire I have ridden on the road. I have had pilot sports, M3's and some Maxxis in the past. These are far superior. K, here is a pic of me riding, sorry, I can't help it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Glad to hear these tires are decent.. i have a set waiting to be installed. Should be HUGE improvement over stock tires!!

Thanks for the write up, if i hadn't already chosen these, after your review, i'd give them a go

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Great info on the Bridgestones. But you are guilty.

Guilty of making tire buying decisions harder.;D What to use?

Bridgestone BT016?
Dunlop Roadsmarts?
Continental Road Attacks?

That's my short list as of now. It just increased by one player: BT016!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, well here is a little insight. I was thinking about the roadsmarts. But then the guy at the shop showed me one important thing. The rain grooves in the BT016 do not go all the way to the edge of the tire. This is good and bad. If you live in nice weather like I do in So-Cal, it means more contact under hard riding. If you live and ride in bad weather, it means worse rain performance under hard riding. So that is why I went with the Bridgestones.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hum, well, my previous tires were the pilot sports. I got 5000 miles from them. Well, the bike got 5000, I put the later 3500, the first owner put the first 1500. The center is what ended up wearing out. The sides still had a little, but I was not pushing them anywhere near as hard. So like I said I have only put 3600 on these tires and now I am replaceing them. But this has nothing to do with the middle of the tire, I think I could get at least 1500 more out of the middle. If you look at the main rear tire pic, the middle still has a lit more tread.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Great info on the Bridgestones. But you are guilty.

Guilty of making tire buying decisions harder.;D What to use?

Bridgestone BT016?
Dunlop Roadsmarts?
Continental Road Attacks?

That's my short list as of now. It just increased by one player: BT016!
I don't know about the Road Attacks, but I can speak for the roadsmarts.
My previous tires were roadsmarts. Actually my front tire is still a roadsmart. High mileage from my rear 10K miles. They are great tires, they feel solid and firm. The 016 feels soft and pliable. Roadsmarts are truly great wet, cold weather tires...I never lost control on the roadsmarts wet or dry.
I just went to the 016s to try something new..

·
Registered
285 Posts
I've always ridden Pilot Powers (2CT up front and Regular out back).

I tried the BT016s, and so far I'm happy! Wear looks great so far (1000 miles or so) and grip, warmup, and smoothness are all on par with the Powers. They steer a bit slower, but I actually like the added stability.

I'm waiting to see how they perform on track. Powers were good, but I feel like they grease up at the track when you get em hot. Also the slide behavior is very abrupt. Hopefully the Bridgeys are a bit more progressive.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
well, i'm coming off my 3rd set of RoadAttacks to the BT016's, rear for now, and i was curious about the 'feel' of the 016's, looks/sounds like they are what i was looking for, waiting to mount it so it'll be fresh for the rally..

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
i here ya..

Ohlins rear, 07 Gxxr750 front..

the only prob i have with the RoadAttacks is the center tread wear on the rear... they'll start flatspotting the middle after 300-400 miles[slab riding anyway] and that kinda effects the way it handles...
the last 2 sets of Conti's were installed before a 300-400mile roadtrip being their 1st 'ride'...

·
Registered
188 Posts
i here ya..

Ohlins rear, 07 Gxxr750 front..

the only prob i have with the RoadAttacks is the center tread wear on the rear... they'll start flatspotting the middle after 300-400 miles[slab riding anyway] and that kinda effects the way it handles...
the last 2 sets of Conti's were installed before a 300-400mile roadtrip being their 1st 'ride'...
what PSI were you running them on?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
K, so I decided to get one more ride out of these tires. They are TOTALLY dead now. Well, at least the front is. One funny thing, cause of the dual compound the front wears kinda funny right near the end. Basically there is a funny wear pattern where the two compounds meet. It makes the turn in kinda awkward when they are very work. Oh well. Just put the new set on last night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts