Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm kind of curious as to the specified break in procedure for the SV. I should be picking mine up early next week (securing my financing tomorrow, yay), but I'm really torn as to how to break it in.

Firstly, I need the bike broken in as quickly as possible. My job allows me to ride a lot of miles (enough to break a bike in in two or three days, no problem), but its not the kind of riding thats good for a new engine. Lots of steady-speed freeway miles and with crazy city-street runs on either end. I dont want to put the bike into service with 0 miles on it and see how things go.

Now, theres a lot of talk about the so called 'performance' break-in. Either on a dynamometer or empty road, gradually ramping up the engine over the course of a 9 or 10 progressively harder runs. Starting with low gears and low RPM pulls, up to higher gears and higer rev ranges, followed by a quick oil change.

Now, I wanted to know a) what the suzuki manual states, b) what methods you guys used (especially you higher-mileage riders), and c) what your experiences (if any) are with the agressive break in procedures.

I have mixed feelings. Reports indicate that a dyno break in leads to better piston ring seating and overall better power, but could lead to shorter engine life. I've also read articles that show a bike broken in hard on a track having its engine stripped down and found to be in perfect condition after lots of use. I've personally witnessed a GSX-R with 1 mile on it brought to Infineon and flogged to within an inch of its life. I still see this bike on the street 4 or 5 days a week... so its not dead yet. Of course, I want to ensure maximum engine life (since I want a trouble-free partnership with my SV), but, I need the bike ready for work ASAP. Gah.

So, what are you guys' thoughts?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
suzuki spends x amount of dollars paying engineers to figure this kinda stuff out and to avoid people coming back saying their bikes run like crap with only 500 miles cuz they were kickin the crap outa them. id just read the manual, and follow the instructions. cant go wrong with that method.

·
Registered
703 Posts
The manual for my 04 stated to keep the engine below 5k rpm for the first 500 miles. Below 9k for the next 500 (1000 total). After that you do what you want to with it. I tried my best to stay below 5k during the first 500, but it's almost impossible when you're riding in city conditions and need to hammer the throttle at times. My feelings were that it was in my best interest to follow the manual, but I wasn't going to lose any sleep over the occassional 9-12k rpm burst with only 150 miles on the bike.

My 2 cents FWIW.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
sicksv650 said:
suzuki spends x amount of dollars paying engineers to figure this kinda stuff out and to avoid people coming back saying their bikes run like crap with only 500 miles cuz they were kickin the crap outa them. id just read the manual, and follow the instructions. cant go wrong with that method.
+1

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm following the RPM limit when breaking in my 05. However, I do plan on changing the oil earlier than 500 miles. I'm at 130ish and in the next few weeks plan on swapping the oil/filter out for fresh. Thought process being that I want to get any little metal bits or break in wear out of the engine oil and out of the engine. It probably isn't anything huge to worry about, but I'm just overly anal retentive when it comes to things like that.

AJ

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am not touching this thread with a thousand foot pole. :lol:

To each their own and good luck.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Good mix

Freeway followed by stop and go isn't a bad combination for break in. Within recommended break in limits you can do at least 70 MPH (naked) at 5,000 RPM. Cheating 10% (5,500 RPM) should keep you in most traffic and is still more than acceptable.

The occasional short-term spurt above 5,000 to, say, 8,000 RPM won't hurt anything either.

·
Registered
20 Posts
<sigh>

Before the bike ever left the factory, it had been put under load and ripped through the gears at least once. I've witnessed it personally. (Yes, really.) Bikes come off the assembly line, a tech fires up each and every one of them and canes the thing WOT all the way through the gears.

You're not going to break it by straying from the "recommended" procedure slightly.

Also, the "break-in" has as much to do with safely acquainting operator with machine as it does the longevity of the internals.

·
Registered
482 Posts
eisenfaust,

is there not a route that you could take to work that would send you through back roads? I would ride this for a couple of days if I were you. I spent my time riding back roads and that type of driving. You should be able to reach 65 or so without breaking 5K rpms and the back roads will keep you from maintaining a constant speed.

Just a thought

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Sigh +1

Safety has nothing to do with break in procedure. Break in procedures are similar for all sorts of machines, including massive stationary engines. The reasons behind slow break in are numerous and well-proven. One trip to max RPM does not a break in make (or break for that matter).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
theoldguy: if only it were that simple, heh. I'm a courier. Riding my bike from place to place is my job, and lots of times I need to get somewhere at slightly extra-legal speeds... so backroads arent an option. I certainly wish they were. Ideally i'd be able to take a few days off work and just go riding up and down the SF peninsula's various backroads and rack up a few hundred miles, but I dont think thats going to happen.

Meh. Who knows. I'm sure I wont hurt the bike.

·
Registered
482 Posts
eisenfaust said:
theoldguy: if only it were that simple, heh. I'm a courier. Riding my bike from place to place is my job, and lots of times I need to get somewhere at slightly extra-legal speeds... so backroads arent an option. I certainly wish they were. Ideally i'd be able to take a few days off work and just go riding up and down the SF peninsula's various backroads and rack up a few hundred miles, but I dont think thats going to happen.

Meh. Who knows. I'm sure I wont hurt the bike.
ooooh... my bad chief. I always assume ( I know.. I know ) that people have a short commute to work that can be attained by going a number of different directions.

In that case, do what you think would be best. I don't think you'll kill the bike either way.. just do one thing.... don't keep the bike at constant speeds. I've read this on advrider, here, sv.org, etc... that's the main key... constantly change speeds to get the engine used to the differences....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts