Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i was stuck behind some guy in a geo metro out on ortega HWY that did not want to pull over for being slower traffic, he stayed out doing 35mph through the turns and would speed up to 45 for the "straits." there was no chance to pass which sucked even more. so it was going through my mind about all the things i could do to his cage and himself, but then as i was being driven insane i came up with a set of rules for myself on what will drive me to smashing a window or breaking a side view. im sure you all have wanted to do that at some point.

so my question to you guys are, do you have a set of rules before you break something or do you just not do it, or just let your emotions drive you blindly?

my rules came down to this....
1) if he/she intentionally tries to change my course and puts me or a friend i am riding with in danger
2) if he/she intentionally injures me or a friend i am riding with
3) if he/she unintentionally injures me or a friend i am riding with due to there own stupidity or lack of attention
4) if he/she intentionally tries to aggravate me or a friend i am riding with
5) if he/she throws anything at me or a friend i am riding with

so subsequently i did nothing and just sat back and dealt with it, as soon as i could safely pass i did, although it ruined my ride through the hills i dealt with it and decided i will always get another chance to ride them.

any of you guys have a theory on this sort of thing?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
I would advise you to NOT carry a gun! But really, the best thing you can do is not get upset by their poor driving habbits...because even a Geo metro could take you and your bike. ;)

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
you did the right thing. as you said, there will be other chances to ride. most likely the person was just going from point a to point b and was not aware you wanted to have fun.
if someone intentionally tried to run me over or off the road, i would consider that assault with a deadly weapon and act accordingly.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I used to drive a Geo and did pull over for faster traffic. But i also have a VW camper and going up a hill i realy cant pull over unless there is a down hill right there. The reason for that. I might be going at 2-3 gear and in the power band of the engine. If i would stop to let everyone else pass. Depands on the hill i might never get out from the first gear again. With some cars you just cant stop or slow down as you never get the speed back up. I also hate getting behind bad drivers as they slow so much into a turn that i lose too much speed and cant get it back after the turn. Ending up down shifting and then stuck at lower gear. Unless i hit a flat part of the road or a down hill long enough to get some of the speed back.

Alex

·
Registered
226 Posts
I am not Batman and therefore will simply try to avoid being run over by the enclosed roll cage that weighs 10x the bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the heads up on bigger vehicles not being able to get there speed back up, i can accept that, my pass was less than legal :p. it was at the end from east to west. next time i will think of pulling over but i would have to sit there for 20min so that i wont catch up to him, i was trying to get to the 5 and at the same time have fun, i was getting down to san diego from Lake Elsinore.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I might flip someone off and I did once verbally go off on a guy at a light...but I wont attack another car. Cop sees you or someone gets your plate and you will end up in jail for assault. At that point the person in the car would simply have to nudge you off the road.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
When I get stuck behind people I just pull over and enjoy the view for a couple minutes. Just let them get further ahead. Honestly, if someone doesn't feel comfortable going faster then they are, the last thing I want to do is push them.

As far as when do I fight back, basically never. The only time I would consider it is if we both parked. As long as I am on the bike, I lose any fight. Against a car, against a person, doesn't matter, the bike makes me vulnerable, which is why getting away is the best bet to me.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
i try to keep emotions like that in and not unleash on a driver. if the situation allows, i will pass them safely, using blinkers and being cautious and obvious about it. if i can't pass someone who is going significantly slower than the limit i will just stop, get off. stretch. let traffic go by, then hop back on and ride.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Besides, if someone up on a mountain road is going that slow, they probably are not used to twisty driving. Not really their fault, so hard to get mad about that. I know I rode the canyons really slow for a long time myself, and I was glad most people didn't seem to pressure me into going faster.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
dude consider that the moment you get close enough to hit his window or his mirror, he can swerve and knock you off the bike/ kill you. If you really want to get even, why not just call the police with his license plate and report him as an impaired driver?

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Besides, if someone up on a mountain road is going that slow, they probably are not used to twisty driving. Not really their fault, so hard to get mad about that. I know I rode the canyons really slow for a long time myself, and I was glad most people didn't seem to pressure me into going faster.
I can understand if someone was not use to driving through twisty roads, but he mentioned that on the straits the driver would speed up...well I guess it's not that bad unless they speed up only when you try to pass.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
all good reasons on why not to break the cage, thus why i didnt break it myself. i kept my aggravation to myself and knew that it wasnt justified to do anything to this guy in this particular incident, it just drove me mad crazy. i was really trying to calm myself while behind this guy, stopping would have definately done that, and i could have enjoyed the ortega scenery for the first time.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I can't think of anything that would make me want to go ballistic on them. Maybe if they throw a cigarette butt and it lands or me. Or just some litter lands on me. Or if they litter in general. Also perhaps if they are gay, or black, or left-handed, artesian, liberal arts majors, driving a hybrid, wearing a thong, eating a McDonalds Happy Meal, listening to New Age, red-headed, a Trekkie, or adjusting their rear view mirror on the passenger side while they're driving.

Any one of those could set me off.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
all good reasons on why not to break the cage, thus why i didnt break it myself. i kept my aggravation to myself and knew that it wasnt justified to do anything to this guy in this particular incident, it just drove me mad crazy. i was really trying to calm myself while behind this guy, stopping would have definately done that, and i could have enjoyed the ortega scenery for the first time.
actually now that I think about it, the only time I have ever lost my cool at a cage was when one passed me on the left while I was turning left in a neighbourhood, minutes after I passed him for going too dam slow. I knew he passed me just to **** me off, but he almost killed me. I got home, got in my car with a baseball bat and a pair of wire cutters. I drove around for half an hour trying to find this car again, and it's a good thing I didn't because I probably would have smashed all the windows in and cut the brake lines.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts