Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got brand new tires on my bike michelin pilot road 2, and with my luck got a finishing nail in the rain groove of the rear tire.Its a small hole still has nail in it any suggestions? I heard patches and plugs arent great for high speed. Thanks for looking

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Plugs are just fine. Get the gooey snake plug kit, ream out the hole and shove the plug in. I ran a few thousand miles with plugs on two different rear tires, and I'm pretty sure the second one is still on the road today with the new owner of my old bike.

If you don't trust plugs or patches (inside only, btw), then time to start shopping for new tires.

·
very big dumb
8,892 Posts
if you're worried about the snake type, go to a shop that will do vulcanized mushroom plugs from the inside. damn near perfect repair.

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
+1 on plugging. I had a run of about 4 tires that got punctures within 200 miles of new. Plugged 'em all, never had problem 1 with air loss, to say nothing of the dreaded (but apparently mythical) catastrophic carcass failure. YMMV and all that, but that's how it worked out for me.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
well if you don't wanna plug that rotten tire, I'll take it from you, cheap of course.....since it has a nail in it and all.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I feel ya brother

Brand new Pilot Road 3 with maybe 200 miles on it

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
How do these things happen to motorcycle tires. The smallest contact patch of most vehicles on the road yet we get these in our tires. Mine wasn't new at all but it ruined my rim.

Did you keep the bolt Danimal, for a project or something?

·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts

Pissing contest?

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
How do these things happen to motorcycle tires. The smallest contact patch of most vehicles on the road yet we get these in our tires. Mine wasn't new at all but it ruined my rim.

Did you keep the bolt Danimal, for a project or something?
You guys can just use my real name Dan. Danimal was a nickname from my bicycle racing days.
Yes, carry the bolt in my tankbag next to my St. Christopher medallion for luck.

Mine, upon every revolution when the bolt head struck pavement, impacted the tapered end into the edge of the rims bead seating area, ratcheting the tire around the rim and causing a series of evenly-spaced gouges. I was doing 70 when I hit it. Was like riding a bronco. Real lucky I got it pulled over w/out going down.
A dremel cleaned up the rim good enough for the new tire to seat. No leaks.
Seeing yours makes me think that I was very lucky.

·
Premium Member
10,443 Posts
yeah I was going about 65-70 also on a 5 lane section of highway. I felt the hop and was like what did I hit? As I was trying to look a bit and see if the tire went flat, I felt the shimmy and rolled off to the inside shoulder. It's still sitting on the patio, need to get it out of there might be the correct size for getting the bolt out of yours, actually I think it's 3/8" so probably wouldn't work on yours.

·
MOTORADOR
10,953 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
I prefer the snake/rope plugs to the mushroom plugs. Obviously don't try to repair a sidewall puncture. If you do the repair, I'd suggest checking pressures 1st thing daily for a week to verify that there are no leaks, and at least weekly thereafter.

I am personally aware of a number of plugged repairs that have lasted the full tread life of the tires w/o any further problems.

Of course, proceed at your own risk. The official answer is "Replace the tire.".

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I prefer plug-patches from the inside. Little rubber cement and someone who know how to do it properly and it'll last for a while.

Just don't do any 100+MPH runs on it and you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I prefer plug-patches from the inside. Little rubber cement and someone who know how to do it properly and it'll last for a while.

Just don't do any 100+MPH runs on it and you'll be fine.
If I have to pull the tire to patch it, I'll just throw a new donut on there. Tires=fuel

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
A new $150 tire versus $25 for a patch?

I also found a local tire shop for cars that'll mount bike tires for $10. $10 to remove and remount, plug-patch it myself since most shops won't do it.

Of course you do this at your own risk, almost every shop will recommend a new tire.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts