Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Braking Technique Question(SV vs. zx6r)

So I braved the heat and geared up to hit a freshly paved, empty parking lot for some low speed maneuvers practice.

I'm convinced that I may be slightly retarded at learning low speed maneuvers. It's not that I suck...I'm probably better than your garden variety squid or RUB. During practice sessions I'll rock out some really solid low speed maneuvers(turning from a stop at full lock, lock to lock slalom, tight u's)...but in the real world, with real objects to run into, and real bills to pay...I lose my gumption and usually settle for the easier if more inconvenient maneuver. I practice frequently though to build up more and more confidence.

I digress....I had a question about proper braking technique that I can't seem to recall from either MSF course, and it's a problem I never really encountered on the SV. Everytime I try to max. brake on the 6r...it seems ridiculously easy to pull stoppies. Now(some of you may be dumbfounded) I'm tryin' to keep the rear wheel on the ground! I'm not saying it's pulling 3-4 ft. stoppies(probably about 6in-1ft)...though I know that maybe a lb or two more pressure on the lever and I'd get that if I wanted it. The SV never pulled these for me, while the 6r seems to at will(perhaps this is related to larger rotors, dual four piston calipers, and a possibly more sporting weight bias). I typically get on the lever soft and and then increase pressure very rapidly for the least braking time while making sure weight transfers to the front.

What are some good techniques for max. braking before it peaks into a stoppie? Is it appropriate to lean back in the seat? Are there any front suspension settings to consider? Do I need to get on the lever differently?

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Braking Technique Question(SV vs. zx6r)

And as a related question.... I used to have a bad habit of accidentally revving the engine when I braked hard(I think lots of people do this....cause by their wrist pressing forward and rotating the throttle). The habit went away, until I began practicing downshifting while braking hard....in time, I've gotten better at this as well. But I'm left with a small question....when braking hard to a stop in gear...the engine begins to almost destabilize the bike a little bit when it's near stalling.

What speed do you guys pull in the clutch at when coasting to a stop?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts

Yeah scoot your butt back until you hit the passenger seat. You can try adding compression too. If your rear sag is way off you could be topping out the shock.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

NOsquid said:
Yeah scoot your butt back until you hit the passenger seat. You can try adding compression too. If your rear sag is way off you could be topping out the shock.
Yea, thanks for the advise...I'll tool around with the suspension a little bit. Truthfully, suspension tuning's a bit of a black art to me...I need to become more educated(it's never really been an issue or option before).

·
Registered
13 Posts

Two big differences between your bikes:

1. geometry. The SV is set up to be much more stable and much more rear-end biased than the 6 which just means that right off the bat the 6 is going to stoppie easier no matter who is riding it.

2. braking eqpt: radial brakes, large rotor, short big kick-ass forks vs. conventional brakes, long weedy forks, and smaller rotor.

I have never used radial brakes, but people often say that they feel substantively different from conventional. You should practice modulating lever pressure on the 6--it might be hard with the radial brakes, but practice anyway because eventually you will get good at it. You can also slide your butt back in the seat. Ideally, you will be able to come to a smooth quick stop on both bikes but doing so may require you to modulate the braking differently due to the different setups.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Michael McQuarrie said:
Two big differences between your bikes:

1. geometry. The SV is set up to be much more stable and much more rear-end biased than the 6 which just means that right off the bat the 6 is going to stoppie easier no matter who is riding it.

2. braking eqpt: radial brakes, large rotor, short big kick-ass forks vs. conventional brakes, long weedy forks, and smaller rotor.

I have never used radial brakes, but people often say that they feel substantively different from conventional. You should practice modulating lever pressure on the 6--it might be hard with the radial brakes, but practice anyway because eventually you will get good at it. You can also slide your butt back in the seat. Ideally, you will be able to come to a smooth quick stop on both bikes but doing so may require you to modulate the braking differently due to the different setups.
I can tell you....once you've experience radial brakes...you'll never want anything else. It feels that rock solid and gives tons of feedback. So much feedback that it could possibly make you overconfident in braking. The braking power is also very immediate(and kinda "immense") feeling.

It brakes much sweeter than the SV...and my SV had a brembo MC, kevlar lines, and EBC pads...and it, in no way, compared.

SS lines are a planned upgrade to the 6r though I can't say I've felt like I needed them.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts

How fast are you going when you are getting on the brakes? ... those brakes are designed to stop the bike from ludicrous speed, so if you are practicing hard stopping from 30-40mph then lifting the rear wheel is going to be hard to avoid. Just practice I guess. Or.. you could give me your bike. ;D

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

wonderjosh said:
How fast are you going when you are getting on the brakes? ... those brakes are designed to stop the bike from ludicrous speed, so if you are practicing hard stopping from 30-40mph then lifting the rear wheel is going to be hard to avoid. Just practice I guess. Or.. you could give me your bike.  ;D
Yea....it's just a parking lot so...30-40 at the most.

You can have my bike when you pry it from my cold dead fingers....but then you probably wouldn't want the bike anymore. :eek:

·
Registered
55 Posts

Move your ass back in the seat a couple of inches and grip the tank with your knees to help keep you in position. You will also have to learn to modulate braking power to keep the back tire on the pavement.

Speed has nothing to do with it. Good brakes can lift the rear tire at 100 mph as easily as they can at 30 mph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts