Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have SS lines already and new DOT 4 fluid. I wasn't sure which pad to get for the front...(Harder Street Riding)

Vesrah RJL was my first choice but I don't know about on the street. Or should I use the Vesrah JL / EBC HH / Other?

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
use the rjl's

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback, the reason for this post is mostly to find out if using them on the street was a good idea. I had checked the search and did find great reviews from the racers.

I might as well try them and find out for myself.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
The regular JL's are great for the street. Orangegilly has them.

I have some Carbon Loraine SBK-3's, which are their street track pad. They work good and super when they are hot. The problems with the street is you will not get enough temp in the pads to keep them operating awesome (especially the RJL's and even with the SBK-3). BUt I want the stopping for track days and heavy brake use. DO I need it? No..... I would go with a street pad for my next set and then pick up a set for the track only.

Just tossing some other thoughts into your head.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, that was my fear of running race pads. If I don't run at high enough temps, they might not work all that well. I might as well just get the ones designed for the street. $40 JLs or $80 RJLs a set

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
wacky_woodchuck said:
The regular JL's are great for the street. Orangegilly has them.

I have some Carbon Loraine SBK-3's, which are their street track pad. They work good and super when they are hot. The problems with the street is you will not get enough temp in the pads to keep them operating awesome (especially the RJL's and even with the SBK-3). BUt I want the stopping for track days and heavy brake use. DO I need it? No..... I would go with a street pad for my next set and then pick up a set for the track only.

Just tossing some other thoughts into your head.

[slight threadjack]

Wacky-- I have a set of CL SBK-3's in the garage ready to go on when the EBC HH pads in the front are shot. I got the SBK-3's in large part to reviews by yourself and other SVR posters (thanks, btw). I ride exclusively street, not quite grandma but not full on squid either.

What suggestions or advice do you have when I make the switch to the SBK-3's (you're making me nervous with the operating temp. observation)?

How long do they need to warm up properly?

Should I get on the brakes a couple times to warm them up, or introduce braking pressure slowly to heat them (ala dragging the brake gently while riding) when starting out?

Any other tips or suggestions?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
[slight threadjack]

Wacky--  I have a set of CL SBK-3's in the garage ready to go on when the EBC HH pads in the front are shot.  I got the SBK-3's in large part to reviews by yourself and other SVR posters (thanks, btw).  I ride exclusively street, not quite grandma but not full on squid either. 

What suggestions or advice do you have when I make the switch to the SBK-3's (you're making me nervous with the operating temp. observation)? 
They still operate just fine.  I have no problem of stopping ability.  They stop better than stock when cold and better than the EBC's when hot.  On my daily ride to and from work (15 miles) I don't get enough heat in them.  On my spirited rides...  I do (if I use my brakes).  Two up... they heat up great.  They just take longer and tend to cool off faster than street pads.

Six Chin Skinny said:
How long do they need to warm up properly? 
A good mile of stop and go traffic will heat them up.  Using them hard in the twisites will heat them up.  It all depends on your ride.  For my commute, I really never get them heated up.  If I hammer them, I will.  And I did notice the pads love to be hammered.

Six Chin Skinny said:
Should I get on the brakes a couple times to warm them up, or introduce braking pressure slowly to heat them (ala dragging the brake gently while riding) when starting out?
I WOULDN'T drag them.  Bad idea.  I did it once mistakenly (due to a handguard that foled back at highway speeds).  On my next stop... I almost put myself OVER the bars with my typical one fingered stop.  Just use them as you normally would.  Once you run them, you'll get the feel for them.

Six Chin Skinny said:
Any other tips or suggestions? 

Thanks
For bed in.  Steel wool your rotors and clean you calipers.  You *don't* have to do this (I didn't) but it'll help out.  Then for bedding in, just increase your stops gradually.  Say run up to 30 mph, then use 30% of the braking power a few times.  Once you feel some heat in the pads... take a ride to cool them down.  Then do another round of stops from 50 at 50% stopping power.  You will feel them getting easier to stop you (requires less lever effort).  Then cool off again.  DO another at 55 and 75%.  Then cool off finally 55 at 100%.    You'll bed them in nice and easy. 

But they are a great pad.  I would buy them again, if it wasn't for the street Carbon Loraines to be so good too.

If I could have only one pad, I would have the SBK-3's.

If I could have two.. I'd have the street Carbon Loraines, then the race pads for the track by Carbon Loraine.

I've used plenty of pads (SBS, Dunlopad and EBC)....  These are some of the best and suit my riding to a T.

Run 'em.....  Or sell them to me for cheap! ;D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Fookin' A, wacky, thanks for the great feedback. 8) For a while there I was worried I would either:

A. Torpedo the car in front of me when the brakes didn't bite, or
B. Launch myself over the car in front of me while doing a stoppie. :eek:

Originally quoted by wacky_woodchuck: "Just use them as you normally would. Once you run them, you'll get the feel for them."

I like the sound of that... Now you're getting me all fired up to swap out the pads tonight: Goodbye EBC's, hello SBK-3's!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Six Chin Skinny said:
Fookin' A, wacky, thanks for the great feedback. 8)  For a while there I was worried I would either:

A.  Torpedo the car in front of me when the brakes didn't bite, or
B.  Launch myself over the car in front of me while doing a stoppie.    :eek:
Option B is more likely than any of the others..... Ask my wife. ;D On one panic stop (second time out with the new SBK's) I launched her over the top of me..... Her helmet practically hit the tank bag. SO yeah, I had to get used to the brakes....

You'll love them.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
OK so where can one buy these pads? I have called 3 shops and looked online quite a bit with no luck. Where are you guys getting these things?

BTW, I'd need pads for a 2004 GSX-R600 radial brake setup. I do know the part number already too... vd355-rjl. :)

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
Novadesigns said:
OK so where can one buy these pads? I have called 3 shops and looked online quite a bit with no luck. Where are you guys getting these things?

BTW, I'd need pads for a 2004 GSX-R600 radial brake setup. I do know the part number already too... vd355-rjl. :)
Trackside Racer Supply is one of the ones I know. PM TWF as he can help you find a set.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts