Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more and more I've ridden my SV, I've been finding it's weak points. Last year it was the suspension, fixed that. Now the brakes are becoming more of an issue. Brake pads have 50% left, lever feels alright, could probably use new fluid and bled. The reason I've found them to be less than desired is from an incident. A stop sign covered by foliage caught me off guard at 50mph, at a busy effing intersection, on the F4i I would've stopped quick and probably pulled a stoppie while I was at it. My lil SV didn't show any signs of lifting the rear wheel nor did it even chirp or attempt to lock up (I've done both before). I pretty much blew the intersection and got lucky.

What are the common fixes for this? I was contemplating putting a GSXR front end on the bike, but college keeps money out of my pocket. New brake pads? New fluid? Are any other brake calipers/master cylinders compatible with the SV's rotors? I wouldn't mind putting on a better brake system if it is compatible, as I dont want temporary fixes. I need to stop when I want to stop.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
stranger said:
do you have ss lines?
Nope but after doing some research thanks to the search function on here, they are on my list now. Along with checking my pads for possible glazing and bleeding the lines.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I put EBC HH pads and ss lines on mine and what a difference they made! Even the pads alone made a huge improvement. Im sure i could pull a stoppie with this setup but...i feel no need. lol Speaking of a gsxr front end...i have one off a 01 600 for $200 if ya want it. lol

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Bleed your brakes, maybe change out the fluid while you're at it, take some fine-ish sandpaper to the rotors. They're really not THAT bad. With the limited traction available on the street the F4i can't be that much better.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
yeah, new fluid, pads and ss lines will work wonders :-*

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mstingray said:
1. change to SS lines
2. good high-boil brake fluid
3. bead blast brake rotors
5. clean dirt/spooge from brake pistons
4. new brake pads
SS lines, fluid flush with new fluid, clean the rotors and new brake pads it is. Once I get some money of course :-[

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
clean the disc's & pads you have first, very light sand paper for the pads. steel wool for the disc's, then clean both with a brake cleaner spray. sometimes they get real dirty from who knows what. are your forks leaking?  :)

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jimmie said:
clean the disc's & pads you have first, very light sand paper for the pads. steel wool for the disc's, then clean both with a brake cleaner spray. sometimes they get real dirty from who knows what. are your forks leaking?  :)
Forks ain't leaking, but perhaps they are just old pads? Its a 2003 and I'm still running on the original pads/rotors with over 20k miles on them. Would that be a major factor? I've already decided the fluid flush and SS lines are a must, cause I love that crisp strong feel.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Its just the cheap factory pad compound. Mine sucked at 10k and had alot left in them so thats why i got rid of them. The aftermarket is your friend. ;D ;D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts