Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it to upgrade the front brakes to a GSXR caliper? I have Galfer SS lines and I can get the calipers for around $50 and the brackets for $110 from Blair at SVracing parts. Would the performance be worth the money?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
If you aren't racing or doing track day's....a set of SS lines, quality street/track combo brake pads and a new master cylinder is all you need for the SV front end.

The GSXR calipers are nice, for sure.... I added some Galfer Wave rotors to bolster the stock calipers as well. Good stuff, that Galfer is.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
What master cylinder are you using and was it worth it?
I'm using a RC51 master cylinder (the SP2 model - which is lighter and has modified internals). At the time it was the closest stock convential master to a race master that you could get.

Yes it was worth it. I did a review on it here somewhere. I'll look for it.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Personally I think it's madness, because the price of the plates would pretty much cover a GSXR front end swap, if you go for the cheaper, less popular parts. The only time it really makes sense to upgrade the calipers is if you've already got a lot invested in the forks upgrade-wise, particularily because more brake on stock forks just means the forks get overwhelmed more.

I bet you one scottish pound you'd stop faster with GSXR forks (or upgraded SV forks) but SV calipers, than you would with stanrdard SV forks and GSXR calipers.

·
Vendor
9,954 Posts
I'm using a RC-51 master cylinder (the SP2 model - which is lighter and has modified internals). At the time it was the closest stock convential master to a race master that you could get.

Yes it was worth it. I did a review on it here somewhere. I'll look for it.

:) I have the RC-51 Master Cylinder on my bike as well,

It works great, and I think that combined with the GSXR Calipers it significantly improved both the feel and braking capability.

I have Race Tech Fork Springs, and Gold Valve Emulators,

There is no way the GSXR Calipers are going to overwhelm the SV Forks,

It all works great,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
Registered
293 Posts
Personally I think it's madness, because the price of the plates would pretty much cover a GSXR front end swap, if you go for the cheaper, less popular parts. The only time it really makes sense to upgrade the calipers is if you've already got a lot invested in the forks upgrade-wise, particularily because more brake on stock forks just means the forks get overwhelmed more.

I bet you one scottish pound you'd stop faster with GSXR forks (or upgraded SV forks) but SV calipers, than you would with stanrdard SV forks and GSXR calipers.

I have sonic spring .90 with emulators and 20 wt oil, I rode with that and stock calipers with ss lines and HH pads for 10,000. I got the adapters for christmas, HH pads and same ss lines. I can tell you that there is a world of difference. I can use way less pressure on the brake lever to stop, there is less brake fade and more feel. And it still falls way under the price of the front end swap, even with less desirable gsxr parts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a bunch of parts I picked up for cheap off a buddy that was cleaning out his garage. I have all three calipers off of an '04 GSXR (the gold ones) and a full front Brembo 6-piiston setup off an R1. So, here's a series of total noob questions for you guys. A: Do I just need the right brackets to use the GSXR calipers? B: Is it at all possible to utilize the R1 setup on the SV? I think that would be a killer upgrade. So, be gentle, I'm new here. Thanks.

Fox

·
Vendor
9,954 Posts
I have sonic spring .90 with emulators and 20 wt oil, I rode with that and stock calipers with SS lines and HH pads for 10,000. I got the adapters for Christmas, HH pads and same SS lines. I can tell you that there is a world of difference. I can use way less pressure on the brake lever to stop, there is less brake fade and more feel. And it still falls way under the price of the front end swap, even with less desirable gsxr parts

:) Sonic makes Great Springs, and Rich is a Super Guy,
Glad you love the Brake Caliper Upgrade, I think that the increase in control and feel with the GSXR Calipers is very significant, and more than worthwhile.

You get to keep your OEM Speedo and gauges for the street, and the installation is so bolt on easy,

Blair

·
Vendor
9,954 Posts
I've got a bunch of parts I picked up for cheap off a buddy that was cleaning out his garage. I have all three calipers off of an '04 GSXR (the gold ones) and a full front Brembo 6-piiston setup off an R1. So, here's a series of total noob questions for you guys. A: Do I just need the right brackets to use the GSXR calipers? Fox

:) Hi, The GSXR 600/750 Tokico are the Calipers that work for the GSXR Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets,

Brackets are the 2001 - 2003 series from GSXR 600/750, not 1000, or any model year of SV1000,

Earlier, and later model years, because of the mounting systems, are not correct,

Sell the Calipers you have on ebay, buy a set of the Tokico for $50 $60 or so, and you are ready to go,

Email directly at [email protected] with questions on the upgrade, it is very simple to do,

Blair

·
Registered
53 Posts
What master cylinder are you using and was it worth it?
this is perhaps one of the best upgrades for your bike. Ive used both brembo and magura and the feel and performance they provide over the stock stuff is awesome. If you pull your brake lever in now (assuming you've got a stock mc) the resistance will increase as you pull the handle in but the lever will feel squishy (tech term :)). With an after market the resistance happens faster and if bled properly you wont have the squishy ness like on the stock stuff.

the one I raced with last year had 20mm piston and you could one finger the brakes into a stoppy if you wanted to. if you elect to go aftermarket you'll really like hte feel. Of all the stuff you could do to your bike 520 kit with gearing, suspension, exhaust etc, this would be one worth considering further since it does have a safety aspect to it.

;D

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've already got the GSXR calipers, pads, SS lines and fresh fluid, so hopefully a new master cylinder will give me the feel i'm looking for.

·
Registered
8 Posts
:) Hi, The GSXR 600/750 Tokico are the Calipers that work for the GSXR Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets,

Brackets are the 2001 - 2003 series from GSXR 600/750, not 1000, or any model year of SV1000,

Earlier, and later model years, because of the mounting systems, are not correct,

Sell the Calipers you have on ebay, buy a set of the Tokico for $50 $60 or so, and you are ready to go,

Email directly at [email protected] with questions on the upgrade, it is very simple to do,

Blair
Perhaps I'm mistaken. I was under the assumption that mine were off of an '04 gsxr600. They are Tokico calipers though. Maybe I'll just sell the calipers. I could use the money for more pertinent things. Same goes for the R1 calipers, I guess.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
04 GSXRs were all equipped with radial calipers, these caliper brackets are for the older model (which are, IMO, slightly better than the radial Tokicos)

·
Vendor
9,954 Posts
Brake upgrade

Hi Fox, The GSXR Tokico Calipers that work so well on the SV650 are from the 2001 - 2003 GSXR 600, or the 2000 - 2003 GSXR 750, or any model year of the SV1000.

These are the 4 piston Tokico models that bolt right up to the SV Racing Parts, Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets for the SV650, all model years.

The earlier calipers are SRAD and don't work, and the later years also do not bolt up.

The model year of the Tokico Calipers mentioned are easy to find, inexpensive to buy, and an easy bolt on upgrade with the Caliper Adapter Brackets.

The Brackets are in stock and readily available in either Silver or Black Anodized finish,

Let me know whenever you are ready, and I will look after you right away,

Blair

1 - 20 of 21 Posts