Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know all about stainless lines and new pads but has anyone ever put on a new master cyclinder? Like a radial Brembo or anything? If so what did you get? I'm looking for better feel I guess. Suggestions?

Gixxilla

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can't remember who, but somebody here upgraded to a Brembo master cylinder, do a search.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Ben?.....

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
yeah ben has the brembo master cyl, i dunno if its radial piston or not.

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
wonderjosh said:
Nope, his is the one in my above post, with the fixed lever.

Radial piston doesn't work too well with the standard SV brakes. The ratio's are too much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
anyone know what the ratio for the stock MC is? (99-02)

T

·
0 Posts
wacky_woodchuck said:
Radial piston doesn't work too well with the standard SV brakes. The ratio's are too much.
you can choose ratio.
I have 19x20 for my sv with gsxr radial calipers..

·
Registered
93 Posts
wacky_woodchuck said:
wonderjosh said:
Nope, his is the one in my above post, with the fixed lever.

Brembo does a 16*18 which is their one for a single disk. At 16mm the bore is very close to the stock SV.

Andy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Best bang for the bucks is the CBR600RR master cylinder. It is of larger 11/16 inch diameter and costs $30 to $50 on ebay.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I have one off an RC51 with a CRG lever. It works well on GSXR 750 brakes. I've also used the Standard GSXR750 Nissin, a Brembo forged 18/19 and a Brembo billet 20/19, all worked well but I was searching for a certain feel. The RC master provided that @ $50 on eBay.

DucOwner

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just so y'all know, larger master cylinder piston means less leverage => less braking at a given level of effort. Higher effort required for maximum braking.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I don't think that means much to most riders. "Larger piston means..."

Most want to know "How does it feel at the lever?" Is it easier to modulate?" "Does it feed back good feel and control at the lever?"

Bigger piston master cylinders tend to give a firm feel at the lever.

Radial cylinders generally allow more pressure to be exerted on the calipers with less lever pull than standard master cylinders. This depends on the leverage distance from pivot to cylinder connection. Again this is a feel thing. Believe it or not the shape of the lever has a lot to do with the feel. Most levers have some flex in them, Brembo levers do not, by design. Firmer lever means firmer feel. That part is pure "head work" on their part to make the brakes feel firmer and thus stronger.

Actual braking energy has almost nothing to do with the cylinders used so long as they can provide enough pressure to the calipers. Regardless of the cylinder the rider squeezes the brake lever to get the amount of brake effect needed to slow down.

I think it's more art than science. The science is pretty basic hydralics and leverage ratios.

DucOwner

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, thanks for all the information guys. I had owned an SV650 about 2 years ago and from my "memory" of the brakes I thought that they sucked.....I was wrong.

I just bought a used 99' SV650 off of ebay for $2125!!!!! It's in awesome condition and I just drove down to North Carolina to pick it up. Well I got it home and took it for a ride. The brakes are fine as is. It's the suspension that sucks ass...and when the front dives like it does on an SV that will make a "novice" rider think the brakes suck. Why? Because the bike will stand straight up in turns on the brakes etc...... 2 years ago I was very much a novice sportbike rider and I was notorious for going deep into corners ON the brakes and thus the bike felt really really bad, and it didn't want to stop for obvious reasons....ie. my butthole puckering up because the front felt like it was going to give out at any second (which it probably was on the verge of...) and thus my right fingers loosening up on the brake lever, thus causing the bike to stop slowing, thus causing my "mind" to go "Hey these brakes suck ass!!!!"

So pardon the explanation but that's what I used to think about SV brakes.

Thanks again,

Gixxilla

T

·
0 Posts
DucOwner said:
. This depends on the leverage distance from pivot to cylinder connection.
leverage is what gives feel.
to try what it looks like try using brake lever by pulling it close to pivot than try pulling it at end of lever.if you pull lever close to end of it(by ball) it will travel longer and stop harder.
if you pulling at same place on lever but different leverage set up you will feel same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts