Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brakes have squeaked since I got the bike. Front and Rear. I've talked to the dealer several times. They starting telling me that it just needs to wear in and then to use Desqueak. I now have almost 2900 miles. I used Desqueak several times just on the rotors which helped for a few days. A week or two ago I pulled the front calipers off and used it on everything. It started sqeaking again tonight!

I don't know much about how the pads should look but when I took them off there were portions of them that looked "pitted". Almost like someone had gouged portions with a screw driver by striking it. Every time I've changed a car's pad they are always smooth. Is this pitting a possible reason? I don't want to have to take it to the dealer cause they are pricks and would probably have my bike for days! I don't think there are any other shops that would do it under the manufacturer warranty. Should I just buy some new pads and hope that solves it? If so, what pads should I look at. Are there standard versions and racing versions? Have a link?

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: Break Squeak - Please Help!

i'm in the same boat as you, only my rear breaks are the only ones squeaking. +1 in karma, for empathy. ;)

·
Registered
482 Posts

I'm not a technician, but where are you located? I'm in Mississippi, and I can tell you for a fact that humidity DOES play a part in the squeak. However, this pitted look that your brakes show are above and beyond my scope of bike knowledge, so I'll sit back on this one. As for initial squeak, it's a mixture of newness and humidity. My squeak comes back on the front when the air is more humid. Does it on my truck and cars too.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

My buddy has the exact same bike. Got it the same day. Only difference was his was on the sales floor and mine was built out of a crate the day after we signed. His has no problems whatsoever. I may end up pulling his calipers off to compare the pads. I'm assuming that my pads were either bad out of the crate or the mechanic that built it did something wrong. I don't know anything about the build process so who knows. Maybe I braked improperly when I first got the bike and caused it myself.

I just figured that if it is the pads then they can't be too expensive and I'll just swap them to be done with it.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts

Thanks for bringing this up. Mine squeak as well. I bought mine back in January and I've got about 5200 miles on it, but didn't start riding alot until around March. Anyway, my bike also came directly out of the crate, since they only had a yellow one on the floor. I have't looked at the pads at all, but I'm curious now that you found pitting. I may have to check that out. I thought maybe it was just time to change the breaks, but only after 5200? I use the front brake much more than the back, so I'd think that would be the first to go. Oh, I live in SE Virginia, so yeah, it's hot and humid too. But it's weird that the front doesn't squeak. I'm so confused! :p

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Easy to cure

Brakes, not breaks.

DeSqueak works only if the problem is dirty rotors or pads. Get some anti-squeal paste (there are numerous brands, come in a packet like fast food ketchup, costs about a buck). Remove the pads and put a bit of the past wherever the back of the pad makes contact with the caliper or the piston. This should do the trick.

Sometimes I wonder if it's the rider or driver. My daughter complained about squeal on her 2000 Mustang. I couldn't get them to squeal no matter what I did. I pulled the pads and found nothing amiss. The pads were close to replacement time, so I installed new ceramic pads and used anti-squeal paste. Smooth as silk. My wife and son both drove the car and agreed everything was great. My daughter at first said the brakes were fine, but after a week she said they were squealing again. I still can't get them to make a sound. Who knows?

·
Registered
120 Posts
sorry to bring this old post back up, but how can i tell which type of anti-squeal paste to get? are the sv650's 1st gen pads ceramic or metallic.. how can I tell? or does it even matter?

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Doesn't matter. The noise is generally from the pads vibrating. Can be caused by dirty rotors or pads, but usually the former. You can clean off the rotors with a scotchbrite pad and some brake cleaner and lightly sand the pads or clean with hot water. You can use copper high temp grease(what I use) or buy the anti squeal at an auto parts store. You coat the backing plate of the pads where they contact the piston edge. Don't get any onto the pad surface or rotor. Work cleanly and carefully. Sometimes the squeal will come back. Can also be caused by a defect in the rotor metal and some pad brands are more prone to noise than others.

·
MOTORADOR
10,845 Posts
Oil is good for squeaks ;)

Sent from under your bed

·
MOTORADOR
10,845 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
you just can't have it all.

Sent from under your bed
Not have it ALL!!

'Merica doesn't have room for your kind. :bruce:

Next thing you know, you'll be against bacon. :bacon:

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Those stupid backing plates Suzuki uses on the pads might be the problem. i threw them out a long time ago and my brakes have never squeaked.

·
MOTORADOR
10,845 Posts

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
Could someone show me in the 'book of things' where it says that 'disc brakes should never squeak'? I can't find the page...though I've looked. And I think it's not in there because disc brakes WILL squeak sometimes! Absolutely NOTHING wrong with them, just at certain temperatures, with certain pressure applied (or not) they can get to chattering fast enough that it makes the disc ring...hence the squeak you hear.

Performance brakes tend to make more noise than garden variety organics, so take that into account when choosing. The caliper cannot retract the pads as they aren't physically attached to the pistons..so they rub on the disc. If the pistons aren't retracting properly because they need attention...they can make noise. If the pistons ARE retracting properly, sometimes gluing the pads to them can quell the vibrations by pulling them away from the rotor a little. Or not.

I don't see where people are SO worried about a tiny little squeak here and there. Remember the first disc brakes back in the '70's? You literally could hear one coming from half a mile away with the disc squealing so loud that it was the first thing you heard even over the engine noise! Buddies Triumph 750 needed the rotor shot with WD40 pretty much daily to keep it from screaming. They've come a LONG way since then, but the very design of disc brakes makes them tend to make noise with things rubbing as they do.

Ever heard some of the race car braking systems? They are CRAZY LOUD! And we complain about a tiny little 'squeak' here and there. Sheesh......:(

·
MOTORADOR
10,845 Posts
Could someone show me in the 'book of things' where it says that 'disc brakes should never squeak'? I can't find the page...though I've looked.
Newest version is online ;)

Jokes aside, between the sound of the engine, the exhaust and me wearing earplugs, I really don't care if my brakes squeak as long as I have good pads and the brakes work.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Personally I'm addicted to the sound of air brakes on the boil. I wish mc brakes sounded like that. Loud brakes save lives.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Doesn't matter. The noise is generally from the pads vibrating. Can be caused by dirty rotors or pads, but usually the former. You can clean off the rotors with a scotchbrite pad and some brake cleaner and lightly sand the pads or clean with hot water. You can use copper high temp grease(what I use) or buy the anti squeal at an auto parts store. You coat the backing plate of the pads where they contact the piston edge. Don't get any onto the pad surface or rotor. Work cleanly and carefully. Sometimes the squeal will come back. Can also be caused by a defect in the rotor metal and some pad brands are more prone to noise than others.
very insightful post thanx!

In response to RecoilRob's post, the brakes seems to work just fine, but I was under the impression that squeaking is indicative of a poorly maintained brake system, ...associated with hoopty rides that are in need of attention. It just makes my ride sound like a POS coming down the road, not very attractive. If I can get rid of it, why not.

·
Registered
6,745 Posts

In response to RecoilRob's post, the brakes seems to work just fine, but I was under the impression that squeaking is indicative of a poorly maintained brake system, ...associated with hoopty rides that are in need of attention. It just makes my ride sound like a POS coming down the road, not very attractive. If I can get rid of it, why not.
Oh...for SURE get in there and verify everything is clean and ship shape. Very likely you'll discover dirt/corrosion/mung and all sorts of stuff that 'can' cause noises....just get it fixed best you can and if it still squeaks here and there...don't worry about it. Mine will squeeeeel when I back it up...mostly from the rear, but oh well...nothing to do with it.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts

, ...associated with hoopty rides that are in need of attention.
Car brakes have a noise maker that engages when the pads are close to gone. It's the factories way to suggest you should "FIX YOUR BRAKES!!" .

Subtle, they are.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts