Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2007 sv650 naked

I changed out my brake lines to SS lines. After installing the lines and attempting to bleed the brakes, I am unable to build pressure in the lines. Filled reservoir and pumped away while my speed bleeder is cracked open. Brake level has no resistance and fluid level never drops. No fluid exit the speed bleeder.

I know the issue is not with the speed bleeders because I've used them before.

The only difference is with the line routing. Stock routing has a line from right caliper to left with a double banjo and a line from left to master cylinder. The new ones has a double banjo on the master cylinder and 1 line goes from there to each caliper.

Any ideas? Please help.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
Try bench bleeding your master cylinder first. The stock SV master does not have a bleeder on it so you may have to bleed it by it self before trying to get pressure in the lines. I had to do this with my cage. look up bench bleeding on youtube for a how to. Some people just crack the double banjo that comes out of the master to bleed the master before the brake lines but it can be messy so use plenty of rags to keep the brake fluid off your painted parts.

The key is to get pressure in the master before you worry about the lines. Without pressure in the master you will never fill the lines, much less the calipers.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked online. Seems like the issue is the air pressure in front of the piston that the hand pump side cannot overcome.

To bench bleed, I have to either plug the MC or have a special bench bleeding kit that is a line on the piston out end rerouting back into the reservoir. The examples are all for cars. Will Autozone have this kit for a bike's MC?

How about using a hand pump vac bleeder device plugged into one of the calipers. Will this do the trick of sucking air out of the lines in front of the MC piston?

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
A lot of people have a hard time bleeding air through speed bleeders - there isn't enough pressure to open the ball valve. It's for this reason I don't bother with them.

You could try a mity-vac, that would solve your problem even with the speed bleeders. It's all I use, it's fast, clean and works better than manually pumping.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Maybe not, I don't use those things. I can't understand why so many riders have trouble when it comes to bleeding brakes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try all those. Probably drop by autozone on my way home from work to pick up a mity-vac. They should sell them there yeah?

Lately I've been having a lot of trouble with my brakes. Started when I ordered some SS brake lines. Been problems after problems after that. Hopefully I've bleed off all the bad luck here and not on the street.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
+1 on the syringe. First time I bled dry brake lines it took me about 45 mins. Bleed the master first by cracking the banjo.

Second time I used a big syringe again on dry brake lines and it took me about 5 mins. Push fluid through each line upward until it gets to the MC. Then bleed a few times the traditional way.

Using a syringe will literally take 10 mins.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
Maybe not, I don't use those things. I can't understand why so many riders have trouble when it comes to bleeding brakes.
I don't get it either - I don't ever have problems but I don't use the speed bleeders, not sure why you'd want them they always seem to complicate things!

·
Registered
905 Posts
You're not supposed to do a 'full' bleed with speed bleeders - many of the manufacturer sites will say so. As said previously, a system that's nothing but air won't develop enough pressure to open the check valve on the speed bleeder. Just pull them completely off and let gravity do the rest until you see fluid start trickling out of the calipers. The intent of speed bleeders is that you can quickly flush old fluid out of the system. Good to have if you do a lot of track days and such.

You don't need a special kit for a motorcycle MC to bench bleed it - just make sure you get the correct size fittings for the MC. I always just used compression fitting with some rubber hose on it when I had to bench bleed a master - the pressure is going to be fairly low.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bought and used the mity-vac and it worked like you guys said. Took awhile and a whole 500ml bottle of fluid to get all the air out, but brakes are solid now :icon_biggrin:

Thanks guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts