Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A quick question for the knowledgable: I swapped out my brake pads all the way around. I expected to have some rubbing with the thicker pads, but it's really slowing me down as I coast. Is this natural, and will subside as they wear? Or am I missing a way to adjust them so they float off the rotors?

Thanks!

Todd

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
For me, they've always rubbed more when brand new...to the point where I worry about damaging my rotors...but after a couple days it gets better. The biggest issue was my rear pads...they would get stuck and wear down very quickly...till I learned to rotate the hanging pin so the wear mark was down and letting the pads slide properly.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
The calipers are designed to hold full new pads of a specified thickness. You shouldn't experience more pad drag from new pads vs worn pads if the pistons are retracting properly into the caliper bore. Did you clean the calipers and pistons and fully retract the pistons before installing the new pads? Did you lube the sliding pins?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll admit, I didn't dissamble the calipers to do a thorough cleaning. I just used a fair amount of brake cleaner spray. I'll at least try and lube the pins. Thanks for the tips guys!

Todd

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
I bought genuine Suzuki caliper pin grease (small container lasts forever) or you can use any silicone based grease, I believe. You want to use a high temp grease. Since you are applying a small amount, you could probably just use a synthetic wheel bearing grease as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.