Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I am brand new to this community because I just bought my first "big" bike (started on an 89 NX250), a 2002 naked SV650. I was riding home one night and, just my luck, flew over the top of it when my rear spun out on some crap on the road. Banged up the bike pretty good. I've started replacing what is broken and have found a couple issues as I have been going through it. One of the things I did was bend up my right foot rest and pedal so I replaced it with an aftermarket set. The new set sits a bit lower than the OEM one so I had to pull downwards the solenoid(?). Sorry I don't really know what its called, its the part that the rear of the lever connects to on the bike to compress the spring that's just behind the heel guard. Well now my brake light seems to be always on and nothing changes when I press the lever, either front or rear. I also banged up the right side of the handlebars pretty good but I can still hear the small 'click' when I press the front brake lever which leads me to assume that's fine, although it definitely could not be as I am new to the world of moto-maintainence. When I crashed I broke the peg off the foot lever and in doing so I had to wrench the lever back into the 'up' position to release the rear brake.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should do to try and fix this? Thanks!

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Adjust the rear brake light switch. You will see a spring operated plunger type switch connected to the lever, near the footpeg.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello!
Thanks for the reply locoblanco. I will try adjusting that when I can. Is that the only place on the rear where the sensor would be activated? Or is there supposed to be a plug for a wire going to the main harness? I believe the last owner of the bike put an aftermarket rear set on but when I took it off there didn't seem to be any kind of electrical connection there at all (at least on the right side). I believe the earlier edition GSXR 1000's had an actual electrical sensor that had a plug but I haven't found one on my SV. I think I have the adjusting jam nut down pretty far but I can try and lower it even more. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Thats the only place I know to adjust the switch. You want to move the nut up, so that the body of the switch will be lower. As you operate the brake pedal you will see the spring pulling the switch plunger in and out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts