Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the dealers yesterday and I notice all the new bikes had a bright yellow color brake fluid in their reservoir. I changed my brake fluid last year and I noticed the difference in color when I flushed out the old fluid and in with the new. Once the new fluid went in and within a week the fluid changed to a light golden color.

1. How fast does brake fluid change colors?
2. What are some symptoms to look for when brake fluid goes bad?
3. What brand of brake fluid do you guys recommend?

I'm thinking I didn't put in enough fluid in last year and thats why the fluid changed color quickly. I remember I did fill the fluid up to the upper line. Should there been an air space between the fluid level and the rubber thing on the bottom of the cap? Or should the cap have pushed all the air out of the reservoir when I tighten the cap back on?

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Brake fluid goes bad when it absorbs water from the atmosphere. It is extremely attached to water molecules which are bad because when brake fluid warms up under heavy use, the water boils into steam which then makes the brakes more spongy. The water in the fluid is also corrosive to internal brake components, it is another reason they recommend bleeding your brakes every couple of years. The fluid darkens due to the decomposition and outgassing of rubber and other volatile components in the braking system. This is normal and cannot be avoided.

Always buy brake fluid in metal cans.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brake fluid in metal cans? I didnt know it made a difference. Also, I have some left over brake fluid from last year is it still OK to use? Should I just get a new bottle or can?

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
ibang1 said:
Brake fluid in metal cans?  I didnt know it made a difference.   Also, I have some left over brake fluid from last year is it still OK to use?  Should I just get a new bottle or can?
The plastic bottles are just fine. I never use brake fluid from a bottle that's been opened before, that's probably a little overly anal, but I definitely wouldn't use stuff that's been opened that long.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Brake fluid will last longer in a metal can.
Some plastics will allow vapor in. If you buy plastic containers, use up everything and throw the rest away in a recylcling container. It is not worth hanging on to it.

N

·
0 Posts
I don'r recall see brake fluid in metal cans for a long while. AFAIK, all the name brand stuff is in plastic bottles these days.

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts