Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 05 SV650S last week. Rotors look fine FWIW. At speed, the front brake takes quite a bit of pressure to stop the bike but as it is slowing the brake feels like it is becoming way more effective and I have to ease off the lever quite a bit. I have never noticed this on any of my other bikes before so not sure if this is just a characteristic of the SV or I need new pads or something else.
Any suggestions?
I also notice a ton of front end dive on it even when not on the brakes hard. Overall the suspension feels really soft, way softer than my Concours 14.
Any suggestions there?

Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
New pads & flush & bleed the lines should help.
+1

Also, note the type of pads that come off the bike. I personally use EBC's HH compound, and they have a tendency to come on kinda soft and swell into their full potential a moment later, but its nothing "holy crap", not sure what sensation you're getting or how much exactly you let off.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I just got my 05 SV650S last week. Rotors look fine FWIW. At speed, the front brake takes quite a bit of pressure to stop the bike but as it is slowing the brake feels like it is becoming way more effective and I have to ease off the lever quite a bit. I have never noticed this on any of my other bikes before so not sure if this is just a characteristic of the SV or I need new pads or something else.
Any suggestions?
I also notice a ton of front end dive on it even when not on the brakes hard. Overall the suspension feels really soft, way softer than my Concours 14.
Any suggestions there?

Thanks, Matt
If you KNOW the brake fluid is good, then better pad material and a SS braided line with help with both feel and stopping power.

SV OEM forks are, for the lack of a better word, a joke. You can band aid it with heavier oil and being liberal on the pre-load. However, If you want something that actually will have good feel and good performance, rebuild the forks with springs and internals.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know the condition of the fluid but I get a nice solid lever when I pull on them. I forgot to mention that at low speeds they feel rather grabby which was something else I didnt like.
I expect to do something with the forks but not real sure where to start. I am a big guy and the bike was bought with the intention of being a part time track bike. I figure I'll need heavier springs and have read about emulators but not sure they are the way to go. I know that the brakes need help before I ever take it on the track. I am shooting for a trip to Barber next month but it is looking rather iffy right now.
I'll pick up a set of pads and fresh fluid this week and see how they do. Maybe fresh oil in the forks while I am at it.

Matt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts