Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha,

Haven't been on my SV or the forum in some time, looking to change that! Have moved out to Southern California and am looking forward to all the new rides that await.

Have a 06/07 GSXR 600 fork and 4in Apex risers. Currently cannot get much rise at all due to the stock front brake line restrictions. Not 100% sure how high I will settle on and I imagine I will have to have custom front brake lines made? Was considering Galfer or any other manufacturer really, but don't know long to tell them to make them if anyone can chime in. Running the GSXR brakes but was considering R6 down the line, are the fittings similar in that I wouldnt need to change the brake lines if/when that time came?

Same question for throttle and clutch, but focused on brakes 1st..

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Your best bet is to settle your ergonomics first. Get the riser clip ons where you think you want them and then measure the run from the brakes to the MC. That is the only way to make sure your lines will actually fit. Same with the throttle cables and clutch cable - depends on where your controls wind up.

Any brake line manufacturer can make up new lines for you. Just tell them the distance you need and what kind of brake caliper and MC you have and they can make the lines for you. You will need to decide if you want an over the mudguard or dual line set up.

Motion Pro can make custom throttle cables for you. You need to tell them how long - stock + X". I think they may make custom clutch cables, too; ask them.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Motion Pro makes a +4" throttle cable set with a part number, so there's no need to special order

I suspect an N clutch hose will work

for brakes you'll likely need custom

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think I have a set of good used brake lines that will work, along with a set of extended throttle cables.

PM sent.
-MS

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, that helped clear things up a bit.

As for the brakes, would things be the same for that of an R6 vs GSXR in case I switched down the road?

Also, is over the mudguard or dual line set up the more desirable?

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Thanks all, that helped clear things up a bit.

As for the brakes, would things be the same for that of an R6 vs GSXR in case I switched down the road?

Also, is over the mudguard or dual line set up the more desirable?
Can't remember if the hook up between the R6 and GSXR is different. If it was me, I would run the R6 MC.

Hydraulically, dual and over the mud guard is the same. I prefer the over the mud guard configuration because it makes the installation cleaner and simpler. All the clips are already there so it looks like it belongs. I've seen too many bikes with dual brake lines not tethered down and it looks sloppy to me.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
My recollection is that the R6 brake lines attach lower down on the caliper.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Every time a sporty-type bike comes into the household a call gets made to the Galfer guy for an extended front hose.
My old neck won't tolerate clip-ons for as long as I'd like.
It's true about the Motion Pro 4" extra-length cables. I did those on the Missus' '04 S when the Heli Bars went on.
There's really no penalty for getting too much length on a custom hose or cable. Heck, when I did up the '06 GSXR that fell into my lap I just got 5" over and don't have to worry about moving things around.
You probably need to change the brake hose anyway, right? That Galfer on the SV did wonders for front brake responsiveness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts