Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey
Im new to the group, just wondering if its straight forward to fit gsxr 750 2014 calipers and master cylinder for a k7 sv650s, found some real cheap
Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
A common cheap upgrade is the R6 Brembo master cylinder upgrade. You can find them on Ebay for $100 but then you need to address the brake line fitment (they connect a little different compared to the stock Nissin). Calipers are another beast but I think lots of people see the m/c as one of the more cost effective upgrades for the money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey
Im new to the group, just wondering if its straight forward to fit gsxr 750 2014 calipers and master cylinder for a k7 sv650s, found some real cheap
Thanks
I'm not familiar with the K7, but it appears to be an axial mount application whereas
the 2011-2017 Suzuki GSXR 600-750 calipers appear to be radial mount versions.

If this is the case, no it is not a "direct swap". You will need axial-mount to radial-mount
caliper adapters. Have you looked into the 4-piston NISSIN or Tokico caliper option
using SVR adapters? Its still an adapter, but it's pretty small. The NISSIN calipers
can be found pretty cheap used on Ebay, but I would still recommend rebuilding them.

Here's a pic of an install that I did....

good luck,

T.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm not familiar with the K7, but it appears to be an axial mount application whereas

If this is the case, no it is not a "direct swap". You will need axial-mount to radial-mount
caliper adapters. Have you looked into the 4-piston NISSIN or Tokico caliper option
using SVR adapters? Its still an adapter, but it's pretty small. The NISSIN calipers
can be found pretty cheap used on Ebay, but I would still recommend rebuilding them.

View attachment 53600

good luck,

T.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did the SVRacing adaptor for 4 piston Tokico calipers, using the stock master cylinder. Everything works great.
A nice brake improvement.

Jim B

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am running 2012 r6 calipers with a Brembo GP MK2 16/18 and braid lines. Calipers were $115 master was $200 after rebuild and the lines were about $70 I think. Yes it added up even with mostly used parts but front brakes are not were you want to skim and it is a 1 finger setup.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

View attachment 53600

good luck,

T.
Thanks for the advice, seems an easier option, will track down the four pot calipers, cbr 600 from what i have read about it

·
Registered
36 Posts
I vote for a new master and stock calipers.

I bought and rebuilt the 4 pot calipers and the adapters. The result was not that impressive and something never lined up right and they dragged a bit. Tried the r6 which was good. Tried the rcs 19 brembo whivh was a bit better.

Then i bought a new s1000rr and realized how awesome brakes can be. So I started from scratch. I ordered some used stock calipers and rebuilt them. Included in the rebuild was careful attention to the pistons. I went as far as polishing them on a buffing wheel to be sure they moved nicely through those seals. I used new braided lines. Previous lines were braided but older. Then i used a magura hc1 master. bled it well and tge brakes are phenomenal. very small idle stroke, which is what bugged me in the past most. But also feel great and plenty powerful. At this point there's nothing else i need to know about sv650 brakes.

thats my experience at least

·
Registered
246 Posts

I bought and rebuilt the 4 pot calipers and the adapters. The result was not that impressive and something never lined up right and they dragged a bit. Tried the r6 which was good. Tried the rcs 19 brembo whivh was a bit better.

Then i bought a new s1000rr and realized how awesome brakes can be. So I started from scratch. I ordered some used stock calipers and rebuilt them. Included in the rebuild was careful attention to the pistons. I went as far as polishing them on a buffing wheel to be sure they moved nicely through those seals. I used new braided lines. Previous lines were braided but older. Then i used a magura hc1 master. bled it well and tge brakes are phenomenal. very small idle stroke, which is what bugged me in the past most. But also feel great and plenty powerful. At this point there's nothing else i need to know about sv650 brakes.

This is why I chose the mc upgrade. I kept hearing people with experiences just like yours and this way I don't have to buy adapters or bigger calipers. I'm glad to hear of yet another person who had success with this.
Oddly enough it was my old BMW that also showed me just how amazing brakes on a motorcycle could be. I sold that bike but I've always wanted that braking performance on my SV. Spiegler goofed on my custom lines so I haven't installed anything yet but the new ones should be here today. I am hoping to test out the new system this Saturday.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Thanks. This gives me encouragement that my setup will work out as well. I put the Magura HC1 on last season, but was not all that impressed. After riding most of the day on the SV, the first session back on track with my 2003 R1, I did a an accidental stoppie because of the extra brake power. I am hoping the fluid flush, piston cleaning and rebleeding the MC will help get me close to the performance of my 2003 R1 brakes (also with a Magura HC1). I discovered I needed to level the brake lever / MC out before doing the final top bleed on it. The downward angle that is comfortable for me on the SV apparently left a little bubble in there, so the lever feel is a little better now. I guess it is a trade off because the R1 lever gets resistance sooner in the stroke, but also has a more drag on the front wheel. With 140HP and 72lb-ft. a bit of drag is less of an issue.

If the covid thing doesn't flare up too bad in the next couple of weeks, I hope to find out at Summit Point and/or Shenny.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts