Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently finished my winter project and got the SV back together. I made my own fender eliminator and I don't have the stock license plate light anymore. Instead I am using those lights that double as bolts, and I simply cut the wires to the stock light and wired in the new lights. When I started it up today for the first time since Christmas I noticed that the brake light is not on at all unless I use the lever or pedal, and the new license plate lights aren't working either. All the fuses are good, and I don't think it is the brake bulbs because the odds of both low level filaments failing at once is quite low. Has anyone run into this problem before? Is there something I did that is causing the brake lights to not operate? Any input is greatly appreciated. Kyle

·
Registered
703 Posts
The license plate light is a separate connector from the brake lights. IIRC (I'm away from the bike and manuals ATM) the brake light is a three wire connector, 1 for tail lights, 1 for brake lights, and 1 ground. The plate light is a white connector, two wires only. (Based off of my memory of my '04)

It sounds as if you cut the regular tail light wire and wired your plate lights into that one. Normally that might work but sense you have additional resistors on the LED's for the Lite N'Boltz, you're probably not getting enough power. The simple solution is to hook your tail light back up to it's original configuration and hook your plate lights up to their proper connector.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Abe Frohman said:
The license plate light is a separate connector from the brake lights. IIRC (I'm away from the bike and manuals ATM) the brake light is a three wire connector, 1 for tail lights, 1 for brake lights, and 1 ground. The plate light is a white connector, two wires only. (Based off of my memory of my '04)

It sounds as if you cut the regular tail light wire and wired your plate lights into that one. Normally that might work but sense you have additional resistors on the LED's for the Lite N'Boltz, you're probably not getting enough power. The simple solution is to hook your tail light back up to it's original configuration and hook your plate lights up to their proper connector.
I left the tail lights alone, all I did was snip the license plate light after the socket and wire the two bolt lights from the license plate wires. I found my test light and that socket has power, but the bolt lights do not light up. If I connect the bolt lights directly to the battery then they work, but not through the license plate wires. The old plate light works too. Also the brake and tail lights have power, so that is probably just a bulb issue. The non-working bolt lights I still don't know. I don't have a volt meter to test how much voltage the wires have, but I would assume it is 12 volts. And that is what the bolt lights are suppsed to use. A mystery indeed, anyone else have some insight?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts