Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
speedholes said:
I held up my buddy's R6 front clip when we both had our bikes apart, looked like it would fit with a little help, but he didn't want to give it up......... ::)
What do you mean by front clip? Just curious.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
DougZ said:
And it goes really really fast too.  ;)
Yep, it was the bikes fault, so you can't blame me anymore. I was just along for the ride.  ;) [adjusts his halo]

thejimdaddy said:
but i doesn't look sv enough for me
Yeah, there are times when I miss the factory fresh look it had when I brought it home from the dealer. :( Still has the heart of a SV though.  ;D

{PMS}fishy said:
The lights where they are look a little out of place, other than that, its sweet.
Exactly! That's the one thing I really don't like about it.(That and recent damage. ::)) Original plan was a line of LED(similar to second gen SV's) to run down the solotail on both sides of the exhaust. Ran out of time and bought this taillight to throw on temporarily.  It gets the job done, for now.

GraVitY said:
if I do the GSXR forks will my rotors (after market) fit the GSXR wheel?
I can't tell ya for sure Grav.  If your looking to do a newer(radial) fork swap, no, they're different. I'm guessing the older SRAD set up might have a chance of being compatable, but can't tell ya for sure. Sounds like a Zoran or Ducowner question.

sv ray said:
just need to extend the sidestand and paint that frame black!
The excessive lean from that kickstand has not been a problem as of YET. I do "the test" everytime I park it. That's another winter project. Just ridin' it right now.

That polished frame is the only remnant of a previous session of mods.(my bling stage :-[) Still haven't made my mind up to paint it black. If it was a second gen square frame, black in a heartbeat. But I'm not sure that tubular frame is gonna look right black. Besides, the shine draws attention to the frame which is one of the last ways to identify is as a SV. ;D I'm still undecided.

Northwind said:
the headlight/nose seems a little like it's pointing upwards... Is that a trick of the camera there?
Ya don't notice it as much in person, so the camera may be somewhat guilty. I would've liked to have the nose of the fairing a little lower. But, it's as low as it can go. The levers, when the bars are turned all the way, just barely hit the windscreen.  The windscreen is so low it's not doing much for wind protection. A double bubble would ruin the lines too much IMO.

Thanks for the compliments. I was really expecting to get blasted for the 180 rear tire. ;)

...Brad

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
GraVitY said:
I suspect that the front wheel is off a GSXR?  My question lies in the rotors, if I do the GSXR forks will my rotors (after market) fit the GSXR wheel?
I tgake it you mean SV650 rotors? If yes... No. Bolt spacing is different, and the GSXR rotors are 320mm.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This deserves a bump! :D Pretty cool if you ask me.

·
Registered
684 Posts
that is the ugliest sv i have ever seen!
and if i was being anymore sarcastic  may my head explode now

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
my question is about the exhaust, what kind of piping did you/he use to run it under the bike like that? i want to do the exact same thing but i didnt know what to use, also did you have to cut up anything beisdes the undertail to fit the exhaust? I want to use my trs slip on ..

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
I've actually ridden the thing. It rocks. Brad was kind enough to let me take it on a quick morning ride from Fontana Village down NC28 to the dam and back. NC28 is a super-twisty road near Deal's Gap/ Tail of the Dragon for those of you not in the know. It's got much better sight lines and far less traffic. Took it kinda easy on the way down to get the feel of it and get the tires warmed up. But on the way back I pushed it a little bit to be able to give a true assessment.
The rearsets (Vortex IIRC) are really high under your bum. Once I rode it, I then understood Brad's seemingly exaggerated body positioning. They subtly force you to adopt the proper body lean when in a turn and don't drag. Ever. Look at the bevels on my pegs and you'll see what I'm talking about. The clip-ons (Vortex also) are definitely more aggressive than stock as well but not nearly as much as the pegs.
The swingarm and its attendant linkage give the bike a little more rear ride height. The bike turns in noticably quicker and easier. I never felt that the stock SV steered particularly slow but the Frakenbike was a world apart. As icing on the cake, it never seemed twitchy or unstable in the least.
That secure feeling from the steering was no doubt greatly enhanced by that late-model GSXR front end. That thing might as well have been an Ohlins (that's "Oh-lean" - come on people, say it with me) in comparison to a stocker. My bike has only received heavier 20W oil, which helped it tremendously, but the GSXR set-up was on a whole different level. It felt very planted and confidence inspiring. Dive under braking was diminished and it was easier to do trail-braking. Sure, it wanted to stand up doing that, but was nowhere near as hard to steer under braking.
Speaking of braking....Holy Shit. The number one thing that stands out about the riding experience of the bike is the radial brakes. One finger, eyeballs smashed against the inside of your faceshield, and you feel like you're going to be looking down at the front fender any moment now. I came back to the cabin and asked if they actually put brakes on SV's as original equipment. They're that good.
Aesthetically, the bike looks pretty darn good. Yes, the tail-light looks a little our of place but even it's not immediately noticable. Only when you start to seriously nitpick do things like that get pointed out. I personally am not a fan of polished frames but it works nice with black. I wouldn't change it myself.
I think Brad should fix the damage and submit it to Cycle World for one of their "American Flyers" features.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Nice review Aaron.

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
Thanks, Doug. Should I get a job at "Motorcyclist"? Ooh, better yet, the U.K.'s "Superbike"?! Boobies!!

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
arimichael said:
Thanks, Doug. Should I get a job at "Motorcyclist"? Ooh, better yet, the U.K.'s "Superbike"?! Boobies!!
Not if they find out you wear women's underwear. LOL

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
arimichael said:
Once I rode it, I then understood Brad's seemingly exaggerated body positioning. They subtly force you to adopt the proper body lean when in a turn and don't drag.
;D You don't have to be polite Aaron. I know I look goofy as hell on the bike.http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts...hoto=04RK00590S0584&start=0&album=0&adjust=-1 The seat is quite a bit lower than a stocker too. That's why ya see me constantly stretching my knees while riding. I'm used to it and actually like it better now.  Thanks for the review!

If anybody sees me on it and you're not a stunter, just ask me and I'll let ya take it for a whirl.

Novakane,  the exhaust was kind of a PITA. Had to cut the aftermarket header pre-collector to change the angle to the new mid piece. I bought a couple Stainless U-bends with runners to fill in sections and make the bends up under the tail easier. Don't have any pics of the construction. I'm not one for documenting progress while modifying.  I was EXTREEMLY worried about cutting the pipe pre-collector. It seems to flow fine though and makes very good power. Dodged a major bullet there.

I'm surprised this was kicked back up. Thought it was lost in the back pages somewhere. Any questions, PM me. I help ya out the best I can!!! ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
thejimdaddy said:
i agree, give the sv some press, so brad?? what ya gonna do?
Just added some fresh damage this past Thursday. ::) ::) I'm doing a track day early October. Not gonna touch it til after that. ;D Maybe after that. Toying with the idea of painting it all flat black with a gloss or satin black frame. :-\ Found some LED taillights at the CROT while I was nosing around so that tailight's days are numbered!

·
Registered
653 Posts
Amazing, simply amazing. Nicest and most modded SV on the site. An inspiration to Picassso,(if Pablo ever painted motorcycles, that is).

My only question is whether the undertail exhaust makes you butt sweat in the summer heat?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks Greg! Still my favorite photo of it.

algreen said:
My only question is whether the undertail exhaust makes you butt sweat in the summer heat?
;D ;D  I've taken to wearing full leathers when I ride so that's happening anyway. ;)  The seat has only ever gotten warm at the most.  The solotail gets quite toasty sometimes though. :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey Brad- how much of a headache was modifying that R1 swingarm? I am really interested in doing that, with an R1 wheel set too. The stock SV swingarm is third-world ugly. Thanks in advance.

Dave

21 - 40 of 40 Posts