Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
for the front. the cheapest route is springs and oil.

BUT, if you must go the swap method, look into the gsxr swaps on this forum. TONS of info.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
an 03 doesnt have the tool box. the OPs 07, however, will need its tool box removed. the thread is showing a "not that great" way of doing the swap, IMO. when the shock is compressed the resevoir will change position. not much, but it will eventually damage the battery box and/or battery eventually, rubbing like that. that resevoir needs some sort of clearance. like i said its not much. i have almost an 1/8" between the resevoir on mine and the battery box sitting still and it does not make contact with the box.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
When installing mine I investigated the no-cut route.. and the battery box was too snug with the shock reservoir (atleast for my piece of mind), especially considering the rear end was lifted/floating.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mattman,
can you shed some light on your suggestion........""sprpings and oil method"" for
changing the suspension in the front. i am new to automotive stuff...... thanks

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
How much do you weigh?

You can get much better than stock results out of the front suspension by putting in stiffer springs that suit your weight ($110ish) and new, somewhat heavier weight, oil ($30? I don't actually know). Fork oil is also a widely neglected maintenance item, so you'll want to do that if you buy a GSXR front end or whatever.

Or, for a front end swap, most people use GSXR front ends. I believe the stiffest stock springs come in 06+ GSXR750s. A complete GSXR front end will bolt up to your 2nd gen SV, although you'll need to work out speedometer pickup and headlight mounts.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
Actually junkie, iirc, rich sells springs AND oil for around $110. Not sure if thats shipped or not.

To the OP, the sv is way undersprung on both ends. So instead of spending oodles of money on a front end, tou can buy stiffer springs and thicker oil to replace the stuff in your stock forks.

A member on here(richdesmond) owns sonic springs, where you can order the springs and oil. You can either visit his site or shoot him a PM. He shouldnt mind answering questions.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'd be weary about your mechanic wanting to install it- generally mechanics won't do custom work like that as it could be unsafe/unstable and its their ass on the line.

As for installing yourself though its really easy... did mine in an hour... put the bike on a stand or hang it from your garage ceiling, saw-all the areas of the battery box that get in the way, tool box if you want as well (i did), install the shock (its pretty much just two bolts, one for the top and one for the bottom, release the dogbones so you have room...

Lastly jam the battery back in there... it was a tight fit but it can slide right back up against the shock res. - maybe through some cardboard inbetween so it doesn't rub the battery too much.

:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
man you guys rock.........
i am 6'3/225 lbs . i paid for the rear shock on ebay.
for the front i have to buy heavy duty springs and oil from richdesmond, sounds good.
for the install , i will see if my friend can help me out.
how long /tough is it to change the front, assuming i get my springs and oil ...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Took me about an hour? I thought it was insanely easy. But I worked as a mechanic for awhile...

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Here's a "no cut" install on an '03. I believe the '03 has no tool box, so this may or may not work for you as described.
http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130304&highlight=2010+zx10r

('08 ZX-10 shock is same as '10, spring rate of 510 lb-ft, good for rider of about 180 - 190 lb. without gear)
The big thing is that 2003 has a considerably higher subframe than later years. Even at that is varies bike to bike, I had to trim my battery box a little for the shock to clear.

On my 07 I had to cut my box... Alot. Also had to get a smaller battery to clear afterwards

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
i tried that one, and couldn't get it to work. the 45* reservoir interfered with everything.
the '06? zx10 shock I got with a 90* reservoir fit right in after removing the battery cover cover (yes, there were 2 layers of plastic for some reason).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok final question question before i start looking at the spring and oil route ,
how long does it take it, or do i have to ship my forks to rich , please advice , yes
i do not have good knowedge abt suspensions,least i can tell if it is good LOL

·
very big dumb
8,897 Posts
ok final question question before i start looking at the spring and oil route ,
how long does it take it, or do i have to ship my forks to rich , please advice , yes
i do not have good knowedge abt suspensions,least i can tell if it is good LOL
if you haven't done it before, it will probably take you an hour each for fork and oil. And you will probably need to make/get a couple new tools unless your garage is well equipped.

·
Registered
608 Posts
And if you are doing it yourself for the first time, make sure you follow the directions for the second fork even though you "know what you are doing now". Learned this the hard way as I couldn't for the life of me figure out why I couldn't put the spring into the fork without oil spilling out, measured and double checked my fluid measurements and just couldn't figure it out. Finally went through the directions again and realized I had taken the oil measurement with the forks extended on the second fork instead of compressed. So lesson learned ;D

1 - 20 of 56 Posts