Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow SVers. I have a 2006 sv650s. I bought it yesterday and it needs the tank relined on the inside. The previous owner left it sitting out for a few years before fixing it up and selling it off. I filled up on my way back after purchasing it and the tank has a fair amount of rust in the belly. When I run the gas down some more I will take some pics.

I was wondering if anyone has completed this task to date, and if they could help me. Thanks a bunch!

Also, I was directed towards "POR-15".... anyone with experience?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I sent a tank off to a company called Rusteco and it came back brand new.
You can buy their product and do it yourself of you'd like but I felt it was not worth it time wise to doit myself.
The problem with Creme or similar products is that they can crack and then you do have a problem....
The nice thing about their product is that it does not harm the paint. Heck, you can stick your hands in the solution!

rusteco.com

Guys' name is Michael and he does a lot of tanks for restoration.
Might be worth a shot to give him a call...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
POR-15 is worth every penny and its very easy to use, if you have any questions about the writeup let me know.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses Rico and Dom. My personal mechanic back home suggested POR15 and he is one of those individuals that people come to from every inch of the world. VERY reliable guy and friendly...so I trust his word. I will definitely look into Rusteco also since I dont want to mess it up. All depends on prices and reviews.

Rico, do you have any clue how much it would cost? I cant imagine shipping being cheap for a tank. Also, from the site it looks like Rusteco is pretty pricey compared to POR. Ill have to delve into the subject more.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yeah it wasn't inexpensive. I believe it cost me $280 to get it done and I took it to him since he was close enough to me that it made sense.
You could go to his website and get his address and plug it in to UPS and probably get close to what shipping costs would be...
I just wanted to stay away from coating the tank with another product.
The tank literally came back looking like new inside.
I'm sure Domiken's solution works too although I don't have any experience with the product.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought a kit called kreem, gave it to my dealership, was out the door for under $100. I think the kit was $30 and labor was $40 maybe, don't remember off the top of my head

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went to the local shop and they had Kreem for $46.95 with instructions to do it myself. Not a terrible deal by any means.

Here is my list so far:

-Kreem 46.95
-POR 15 42.95
-Rusteco ~150.00

Anyone used more than one of these? Experiences? Thanks again for everyones responses.

Leaning towards POR15 but still not sure which I am going to do

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
For what it's worth I keep hearing that ethanol breaks down Kreem, so if you have any of that in your gas I'd watch out. I'm about to be doing this on an old Honda tank so I've been doing some research too. So far I'm thinking POR-15 kit, possibly with CLR beforehand, as that tank is RIDICULOUSLY rusted....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You and me both. I am going to try and take pictures later since my tank is finally almost empty.

I also heard the Kreem will break if the tank is even slightly dented thus ruining your tank.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I just went to the local shop and they had Kreem for $46.95 with instructions to do it myself. Not a terrible deal by any means.

Here is my list so far:

-Kreem 46.95
-POR 15 42.95
-Rusteco ~150.00

Anyone used more than one of these? Experiences? Thanks again for everyones responses.

Leaning towards POR15 but still not sure which I am going to do
I did about 4 days of research on all the products.

Kreem sucks, and breaks up if you ding the tank, POR-15 does not, look up every thread about POR, they are all positive. $280 to get a tank redone is a waste of money. Take 5 days, buy the $45 kit from POR and youll be set, the other options are just not good enough.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds good Dom. Thats what I have been thinking. Por 15 it is! Thanks for everyones help. I will have a write up while/after I am doing it with pics....which reminds me. How do you insert pics into posts? Mine show up with that symbol that looks like its messed up...Do we have to upload pics and then post that URL? Or is there some way to insert a photo from my computer?

Secret Machine....WOW! Definitely post a follow up picture when you're done. I am quite interested in seeing how it cleans up.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sounds good Dom. Thats what I have been thinking. Por 15 it is! Thanks for everyones help. I will have a write up while/after I am doing it with pics....which reminds me. How do you insert pics into posts? Mine show up with that symbol that looks like its messed up...Do we have to upload pics and then post that URL? Or is there some way to insert a photo from my computer?

Secret Machine....WOW! Definitely post a follow up picture when you're done. I am quite interested in seeing how it cleans up.
Of course there will be pics! Speaking of pics, yes you have to upload them to a hosting site and paste the link.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I did about 4 days of research on all the products.

Kreem sucks, and breaks up if you ding the tank, POR-15 does not, look up every thread about POR, they are all positive. $280 to get a tank redone is a waste of money. Take 5 days, buy the $45 kit from POR and youll be set, the other options are just not good enough.
Prior to having my tank sent out to Rusteco for cleaning I read your thread on POR-15.
It was a great write up and kudos to you for passing that info on to fellow members of the board. I am sure it is appreciated by many.
In my situation, I looked at the situation from a perspective as to what my own time was worth and came to the conclusion that $280 to get a tank cleaned was definitely worth it due to the time I would personally need to devote to the project in order to accomplish the task.
As far as it being a waste of money to pay someone $280 to clean a tank, well, that response is a subjective statement and one you are entitled to.
Cleaning out a rusted tank was not high on my priority list and I chose to outsource it to a guy that performs the work on a daily basis and devote the time saved on other endeavors.... ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I understand Rico. I have plenty of time on my hands so I may as well just go ahead and do myself. Ordered POR15 today, so hopefully will be in my hands this week. Will keep this post updated. I am pretty darn excited to do this job

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Starting mine later this week (~tomorrow or friday). Please do post pics! I will be doing the same.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Long story short I haven't had a chance to start with the POR-15ing until tonight. Just finished with the marine clean and oh MAN. It already looks 1000% better. Still need to use Metal Ready and the sealer itself. It's not quite rust free so I'm gonna see if I can get some Marine Clean locally and finish the job up.

Before:

After:

Moral of the story... POR-15 kit is the way to go.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts