Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to the forum (but not to motorcycling);

I recently bought an used '07 sv650 in good condition (to complement a '13 Yamaha Super Tenere), that came with an M4 aftermarket pipe installed; it projects a deep rumbling rolling thunder, which, according to many rider enthusiasts, apparently brings out the best of what this motor has to offer.

However, as a rider of about 20 years, I don't adhere much to the 'loud pipes save lives' motto; in fact, I find loud motorcycles quite annoying sometimes. While this particular SV650 isn't as loud as some of the other motorcycles I hear blasting around town (I can ride it low rpm when I want to keep it down), I don't really care that much about the marginal HP gain, if it means annoying other motorists when I'm hard on the throttle.

Am I crazy to want to return this deep sounding beast to the stock pipe setup? I admit, on the freeway, the M4 exhaust gives me more of a presence when I'm cruising along at 5k+ rpms..

Alternatively, is there some way to keep the M4, but baffle the sound a bit more?

Otherwise, I am quite enjoying the ride.. it's such a nimble and deceptively quick machine

Thanks!

K

Oakland, CA

Registered
Maybe repacking the exhaust with new fiberglass mats will help with quieting things down. I'd give M4 a call and inquire about repacking service and repacking kit:
They also sell longer "quiet inserts" they call stage two.
I doubt the volume of your muffler matters much on the highway. It is pointed opposite your direction of travel. Then add a car's audio system and your bike won't be heard no matter what exhaust you're running.

Registered
I generally run stock or quiet aftermarket exhausts on my street bikes. I do not enjoy calling attention to myself on the street with noise. My hearing is already starting to go even with wearing ear plugs when I ride.

Registered
I prefer quiet as well but my '07 had a Yoshi on it when I bought it. I recently picked up the baffle Yoshimura makes for this particular can and it did a surprising job of making it quieter even though it is still a straight-through muffler. If M4 makes an insert I would look into that, it will undoubtedly improve things.

Super Moderator
random aside... do you wear earplugs? cause you should. (stock exhaust or aftermarket it doesnt matter, the wind is the thing that ruins your hearing)

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the advice everyone!
I think I'm going to try the DB Reducer Insert
(Also, yes I often wear earplugs anyways)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts