Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Somewhat long. Don't bother reading unless you plan on buying anything from pit-eck, piteck, pit eck, or www.pit-eck.com . I had no such interactions that I could find on svrider so I feel as though I'm doing a service to someone thinking about ordering anything from them in the future should they search on here to see what sort of experiences others have had. So if I can save just one person the headache.....

So I figured what the hell, I'll buy a hugger off of pit-eck on their website. No big deal. I've seen on here that they have an ebay store front with tons of positive feedback, and how bad could a 65$ part fit anyways? Pretty simple to make a fiberglass mold and drill a couple holes right? Right. Checked their feedback on ebay and everyone seemed to be pretty satisfied with their purchase and fitment.

Part arrives, and I glance at it. Looks good paint wise. I place it over the back of my tire and...no. Just no. Not even close. Not even anywhere near where it needs to be. Helen Keller could have done a better job making this hugger. The portion that bolts to the front of the swingarm was a solid 2" away from it if you lined up the holes for the chain guard. And if you did line those holes up with the one hole on the right side of the bike, the hugger stops hugging, and tries to become one with the tire. There was absolutely no way you could get this part to fit without breaking out the dremmel and making it look janky as hell in the process. No thanks, I want to return this for a part that does fit.

Sent them an email that was on their website listing the problem, and got no response after 3 days. Odd. Sent another just in case it got picked up in a spam filter. Nope, still no response after 2 days. Ok, time to call them then.

Called them up and described the problem. Guy on the phone made sure that I ordered the correct part. I did. Asked him if they possibly sent me an incorrect part. He said no that's impossible. Okay, well how about an exchange then for one that does fit properly? Gentlemen on the phone said he could do that but I would have to pay for shipping back to them. At this point I'm confused as to why I would have to pay for anything as they sent me either the wrong part, or one that was so poorly made to begin with it would never fit. I'm completely turned off and tell him I want a full refund instead as this is just a mistake I'd rather undo. He informs me that's fine to ship the item back. I tell him I will if he can send me a UPS label via email so I can print it out and send it back. He says no he cannot do that, that I have to pay for shipping. Grrr. Explain that is not happening as I fail to see how I should be out any money at all for this transaction. He asks if I read their shipping policy on their website, and that it clearly states buyer must pay shipping. I ask for his manager and he has him call me back. Manager agrees that I shouldn't be out anything for their mistake and to include my shipping receipt in the box and they'll refund me the price of the part, along with the shipping as soon as they get it. Great. Grand. I pack the hugger up and ship it back to them in the same box and material they sent to me in.

So about a week and a half later and I get a notice from paypal that they refunded me my money minus the cost of my shipping the defective item back to them. I figure it's a simple oversight and call pit-eck to see what the story is. The guy (non manager) starts arguing with me immediately saying that nobody at their place ever agreed to that arrangement and if I read their shipping policy on their website...I inform him that I spoke to his manager about a week ago and he and I came to this agreement. He says too bad as there was nothing wrong with the part fitment wise and I must have an oddball bike. I told him that's not the case and it's a dead stock 2005 sv. He continues to argue with me that they won't be refunding me anything and I asked him how it's remotely fair for a company to ship someone the wrong part entirely, and then charge them to do so.

Guy seemed indifferent and basically told me tough shiz and that I was lucky to get a refund at all as the part I sent back was scratched around the bolt holes and had paint gouged out of it and it was unusable. I knew this was impossible as I never even tried to bolt the hugger down, so now I'm ticked that he's claiming this. I told him the part never even got bolted to the bike as none of the mounting holes even lined up at all and the inside of the part would have rubbed up on the tire if I did snug it down, so it's not possible for the paint to be scratched as he's claiming. He told me that he's looking at the part right now and that I scratched it to the point that it's unusable and cannot be resold.

I don't want to argue any further and just asked for the manager so I can speak with him about refunding my measly 15 dollars for shipping at this point which I really don't care about anymore, but now I'm pissed about the principle of the matter. Guy refuses to get me the manager and goes on rambling more and more about how I bought the wrong part and don't know what year bike I have as he sold the hugger that I returned to somebody else that day and they told him it fits fine. Now I'm very skeptical as not 2 minutes ago he said he was looking at the very part that I sent back that's unusable, and now it's sold and on a bike and fits fine all within 15 minutes of us being on the phone? He realizes he's caught in a lie and starts stammering. I tell him to save his breath and I'll simply dispute the fees with my credit card company for shipping and that I'll be sure to let everyone that owns an SV to beware of dealing with pit-eck for their horrific customer service.

FINALLY at this point he says he'll have his boss talk to me, which is about 15 minutes into the conversation longer than it should have taken when I initially asked for him to do so. I say fine give him my cell number and tell him to call me back.

Approximately 20 minutes later I get an email stating that I got a refund into my paypal account for the shipping costs I had paid to ship the item back to them. Phone rings and it's the same guy that initially argued with me. He apologized and let me know that I should see the refund in a minute or two if I haven't by now, and that the manager was very busy and didn't have time to call me back personally. I thank him for calling me back and the refund and informed him I was sorry for ever doing business with them to begin with and that's a mistake I won't be making twice. He stated that he was sorry I felt that way but I should have read their shipping policy and hung up on me.

Now I'll be buying a puig hugger like my gut told me to do the first time around. That's what I get for trying to save a whopping 30 bucks or so.

TL;DR - Bought hugger from pit eck, doesn't come close to fitting, they don't answer emails, they argue over what bike you do have, hassle you about refunding your money, outright lie and claim that I damaged the returned part, won't let you speak to a manager when you had a prior agreement that he would refund your money for shipping back to them, and overall quite possibly the worst customer service experience I have ever had.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ouch man, I've yet to have to deal with a company like that before. Glad, you got what you deserved.

BTW, what does the Puig hugger look like? Is it any good?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't ordered it yet. Haven't had any play time with the bike as of late as work has me pretty busy and temps are well over 100 degrees the last few weeks anyways, so riding isn't even an option when it's that hot by 10am.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm surprised you've never heard of bad things about Pit-Eck. I remember seeing tons of horror stories about their huggers.
This is the first I've heard.

Thanks BOF!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read a couple people on here describing minor fitment issues. Either their description of minor varies greatly from mine, or perhaps I have very high expectations. Parts not fitting, fine, whatever. I used to work with hot rods and I'm used to it.

Beyond terrible customer service with people manning the phones that barely speak English? Now I'm really angry when all I want to do in my mind is a very simple transaction.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
I used to have a hugger from Pit-Eck.
I remember it fit ok except for the hole in the front, so I just made a hole there after the sides were attached and lined up.
I remember not wanting to flick with it because it was so inexpensive

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Glad you got it sort it out, blast that company for their BS, you should never have to go through something like that especially with some scumbag employee. Next time don't ever bother, ask for the manager directly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ran across this company selling a windscreen on Ebay for $28. The name of the company alone just doesn't seem legit. I've seen elsewhere that their parts are crappy. Needless to say I will not be purchasing the windscreen.

·
Premium Member
4,845 Posts
I just did a google search on "www.pit-eck.com reviews" and the bad news came flying. Next time, you might try the same thing and avoid the heartburn.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wow same here guys. How does Pit-Eck stay in business?

Mine was a double bubble dark smoke windscreen for $35 shipped. What a piece of crap. Snapped the plastic as I inserted the first rubber grommet. When comparing to my OEM, I notice the holes are too small.
Not worth messing with it as even the shape doesn't look good.
E-mailed twice and no response.
Called them and got "mailbox is full".

Save money elsewhere people.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Probably because some people figure they can futz with a part that's cheap enough that kinda sorta not really fits and make it fit with their dremmel and the headache isn't worth the hassle.

I laugh about it now because my Puig hugger that I bought instead fits without flaw. Not a jiggle, not a slight cockeye, no ship in a bottle techniques trying to install it, trying to wiggle the parts into place, no NOTHING. Easily readable instructions to boot? Fresh hardware to mount it with? Perfectly engineered brackets too? No possible second guessing? That's worth the 120 or 130 I paid for it. Easily.

If just one person reads my post and doesn't give pit-eck money I'll be happy. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts