Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'81 Siverwing.  My brother-in-law has a '82 CX500 so I figured he could use it. On the other hand, that drivetrain would make for a nice place to start for .....?

·
Registered
284 Posts
wee twin said:
'81 Siverwing. My brother-in-law has a '82 CX500 so I figured he could use it. On the other hand, that drivetrain would make for a nice place to start for .....?

... to start for a beastly as$ go-cart.

-josh

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
wee twin said:
'81 Siverwing.  My brother-in-law has a '82 CX500 so I figured he could use it. On the other hand, that drivetrain would make for a nice place to start for .....?

nothing :-X 650 was the better one. still, why??? and it's a GL.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Yeah, the 650 (actually measured 674cc) was a better bike, but they are somewhat rare (only few produced).  The 500 is still a great bike for middleweight touring though, water cooled, shaft drive, great manners.  You can do just about anything to this bike (including valves) without dropping the engine.  Only beef on this model was that the pre 80 years had crappy water pump seals.

I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it.  (I have a serious addiction to 80's vintage twins).

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Geez, you guys have no respect. I've always kinda of liked these bikes - reliable, water-cooled, shaft drive (although heavy). Ive seen some "Goth" style rat bikes based on the CX/CL series that were wild. It's fun to have something different.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
STOP CALLING IT A CL! It's a CX/GL!!!

You don't have to convinse me, they're absolutely solid bikes. The GL's have pretty nice suspension too. Pretty quick for a 500cc cruiser too!

·
Registered
177 Posts
My bud got a cheap CX650, then let it sit for a couple years. I got it running for him. As far as doin anything without droppin the motor - probably. I can tell you that being unwilling to take the intake(s) off the heads (I didn't want to have to buy those gaskets) the carbs were a REAL big pain in the rear to get in and out. Does run well though, and quite comfy.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I liked the turbo's better. 650 turbo was a blast to ride, 500 turbo was a little weak. both were quite pretty in their day.

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
I'd buy a CX500 in a minute if it came with 1) the original style instruments that were mounted in the headlight bucket, and 2) spoked wheels instead of those ugly Comstars. So I guess I won't be buying a CX500 any time soon... :(

Bill

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Cx's are bulletproof bikes. Most engine work can be done without having to remove the engine or any other significant part of the bike in the process. I had one as a first bike and had a blast on it. You could make an awesome bike to just cruise around on out of that Silverwing. The engine and drivetrain are solid enough that with a little (ok maybe a lot) work you could have that thing road worthy again.  If I remember correctly, the main thing to watch out for on the CX's was the cam chain tensioner, which required intermittent attention on 83? and earlier models or the cam chain could eventually loosen to the point where it would do damage to the engine. Make sure you pay attention to that. Also, make sure to run silicate-free coolant or you may find a good sized puddle under the bike some day as the silicate stuff tends to wear away at the old seals and gaskets.

If you brother is looking for a complete CX that is running and in good condition check out my ad for an 81 CX500C in the for sale section of the site.

-WhiteMtnCruiser

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
donniej said:
Yeah yeah, whatever... Jeez, you don't have to shout, even if you are anal-retentive.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
donniej said:
Yeah yeah, whatever... Jeez, you don't have to shout, even if you are anal-retentive.  

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
WhiteMtnCruiser said:
The Cx's are bulletproof bikes. Most engine work can be done without having to remove the engine or any other significant part of the bike in the process. I had one as a first bike and had a blast on it. You could make an awesome bike to just cruise around on out of that Silverwing. The engine and drivetrain are solid enough that with a little (ok maybe a lot) work you could have that thing road worthy again.  If I remember correctly, the main thing to watch out for on the CX's was the cam chain tensioner, which required intermittent attention on 83? and earlier models or the cam chain could eventually loosen to the point where it would do damage to the engine. Make sure you pay attention to that. Also, make sure to run silicate-free coolant or you may find a good sized puddle under the bike some day as the silicate stuff tends to wear away at the old seals and gaskets.

If you brother is looking for a complete CX that is running and in good condition check out my ad  for an 81 CX500C in the for sale section of the site. -WhiteMtnCruiser
Thanks for the tips. My brother-in-law recently bought a CX500 in good condition except that he can't get it to idle. Anyway, the engine on the GL500 that I just bought is suppose to run. I am assuming he can at least use the carbs off it. (I am also assuming there are no mechanical differences between CX500 and GL500 engines.)

It's funny, when it rains it pours. Riding home the other day, I saw an '83 GL650 Silverwing in reasonably good stock condition - incl. luggage. It had new tires and battery and 23 miles on the odometer. They were asking $950 for it. I was tempted to see how cheap they would go, maybe ride it for a while, then sell it. Trouble is, I'm not set up for multiple bikes...(or maybe I should say my marriage is not set up for multiple bikes, at least for now...)

The current issue of Motorcyclist features a global adventure traveler who rides one of these bikes. I sort of look at them like a Japanese Moto Guzzi. (Sort of like an SV is a Japanese version of a Ducati.)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
wee twin said:
Thanks for the tips. My brother-in-law recently bought a CX500 in good condition except that he can't get it to idle.  Anyway, the engine on the GL500 that I just bought is suppose to run.  I am assuming he can at least use the carbs off it. (I am also assuming there are no mechanical differences between CX500 and GL500 engines.)

It's funny, when it rains it pours.  Riding home the other day, I saw an '83 GL650 Silverwing in reasonably good stock condition - incl. luggage.  It had new tires and battery and 23** miles on the odometer. They were asking $950 for it.  I was tempted to see how cheap they would go,  maybe ride it for a while, then sell it.  Trouble is, I'm not set up for multiple bikes...(or maybe I should say my marriage is not set up for multiple bikes, at least for now...)

The current issue of Motorcyclist features a global  adventure traveler who rides one of these bikes.  I sort of look at them like a Japanese Moto Guzzi.  (Sort of like an SV is a Japanese version of a Ducati.)
**Whoops, the GL650 had 23k.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah, I saw that article in Motorcyclist. As for the CX and GL engines being similar, I believe they are very similar in most respects. The Clymer manual for my CX500 states that is for CX's and GL's, and only notes a few differences in the two when describing mechanical work.

-WhiteMtnCruiser

1 - 18 of 18 Posts