Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. Bought my first bike a month ago, '05 SV650s. So far I've been riding with a backpack to carry a bottle of water and smokes. Then somehow (!) I remembered there's a spot under the back seat to put stuff ::)

Unfortunately, there is also a bunch of wires, fuses and other important stuff in there. Question is, is it dangerous to put a bottle of water in there? A 500ml bottle fits (barely, yet it fits), but I'm worried about a possible leak.

Thoughts? I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but maybe others do this and consider it worth the risk. Risk which might not be as bad as I think - I dont know. So I'm asking.

Would love to get rid of that backpack. As for a tankbag, that's not in my plans.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
I bungee net my backpack to to the rear seat

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
I would feel pretty comfortable putting a sealed unopened bottle of bottled water in there.  I wouldnt put one of those sport drink bottles that I filled up with tap water in there, for fear of leaks. 

That area is not exactly water tight anyway.

I understand where yer coming from, I bought a tank bag and I hated it. I just didnt like having the thing sitting there in front of me. Couldnt tuck as much as I wanted. It was a very small one, too...I have no idea how some of you guys use those huge ones that you can pack a week's clothes in.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I put bottles in my "trunk." I have never even worried about one leaking, and even if it did, I doubt it would cause any problems.

-josh

·
Registered
177 Posts
I think it's fine to put water back there. You ride in the rain don't you? That rear seat doesn't fit watertight onto the tail.

·
Registered
127 Posts
it doesnt even really have to leak to cause a problem, the condensation could do it too. but on a positive note; almost all of the wiring and connectors are well protected and tucked away. the only thing i might worry about is it bouncing around back there and loosing its fizz ;)

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Never had a problem and I've had water bottles leak in there. Hell, when it rains, it even gets a little wet in there. Dont worry about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
test out your water bottle, if you sealed it tight and it doesn't leak upside down then you should be good. I always put a water or soda bottle back there.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I've done it once with no problems.
Now I use a tail bag. Doesn't get in the way like a tank bag and hold everything I need.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hornsounder said:
Greetings. Bought my first bike a month ago, '05 SV650s. So far I've been riding with a backpack to carry a bottle of water and smokes. Then somehow (!) I remembered there's a spot under the back seat to put stuff ::)

Unfortunately, there is also a bunch of wires, fuses and other important stuff in there. Question is, is it dangerous to put a bottle of water in there? A 500ml bottle fits (barely, yet it fits), but I'm worried about a possible leak.

Thoughts? I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but maybe others do this and consider it worth the risk. Risk which might not be as bad as I think - I dont know. So I'm asking.

Would love to get rid of that backpack. As for a tankbag, that's not in my plans.
Backpacks are for noobs.  Get a tank bag.  It carries a bunch and doesn't look dorky.  Plus it's something to lean on during longer trips.  An expandable tank bag would be ideal.  8)

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
shermans_shazaam said:
I love my Icon tank bag. plus when it gets too full to put on the tank, I can throw it on my back or bungee it to my seat. I couldn't live without it.
I feel the same aboot my Icon Primer tank bag. Hold my E-pass and other crap and I can fit a whole lunch or dinner in it when I'm riding to work too. I love my Icon Primer tank bag.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the comments all.

There are definitely unprotected electrics in there, though. But it'll be okay I guess :)

Might seal some stuff with electric tape if I feel there's a need for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Heck I wash under the seat of my bike all the time when I detail with a washrag.  It usually air dries anyway by the time I'm done.  Who wants a hot-ass bottle of warm water?  If I have to get off the bike to pop the seat (my bike has only one seat) with stuff bungied to it,  it would me MUCH easier to stop at a gas station, rest, spy a couple magazines, drink up and have a snack and a smoke anyway. 

My bike has enough room under the seat for my small can of chain lube(I wash my bike at work all the time-car dealership and lube the chain in the shop),  spray bike detail cleaner, a random rag, my factory tool kit, my bungie net if I dont want it on the back, and a multipurpuse tool  :p  Oh, and my disc lock and extra goodies like cig lighter and what not in the glove box.  One good thing about older style bikes  ;D  Oh, and a center stand.....

I'm having trouble figuring out what to get next because of that stuff. Hazard lights, fuel gauge...... :p

·
Registered
836 Posts
If I put a bottle of water(hypothetically, because it definitely won't fit in the miniscule cranny I have)...it would be hot enough to steep tea in when I was done with my ride. :)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Ben_JamminVFCC said:
  If I put a bottle of water(hypothetically, because it definitely won't fit in the miniscule cranny I have)...it would be hot enough to steep tea in when I was done with my ride. :)
not if you froze the bottle of water before you left home.

kevinb120 said:
Oh, and a center stand.....
where did you get your center stand? how do you like it? and how much was it? (oh...or were you saying you have a different bike that came with one?)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts