Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to all of this. Just got my license this summer and my first bike (2003 SV 1000) and I am loving it. I got the requisite helmet, gloves and jacket, and am now looking at boots. I am currently wearing a pair of 3/4 length kickers. I like the length, but have seen enough road rash pics to know I need to upgrade.

So, here are my goals questions/parameters:

Weather - I don't plan on riding in the rain and will likely not ride in the winter. I live in south-central PA so summer is hot and humid. That being said, breathability is important.

Riding - probably one day jaunts as a maximum radius. I also commute to the office whenever I don't need to wear a suit to meet clients. Something I could wear inside would be great, but I could also bring extra shoes.

Price - I would like to keep it around 200 or less.

Style - I like the Looks of the three quarter length boots, like the Gaerne G
Flow
http://www.extremesupply.com/product/GAERNEGFLOWBOOT.html

Or the Joe Rocket Super Road
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...UCT-REVIEW/Joe-Rocket-Super-Street-Boots.aspx

Or the A* Harlem WP
http://www.revzilla.com/product/alpinestars-harlem-wp-boots

I dint know if anyone had ny thoughts on any of these or other recommendations/advice. Thanks, all.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I love my SMX-5s:

I've worn them under my 9-5er costume without anyone noticing.. but normally I change once I get to work.

Very good air flow. But they act like sponges in the rain (which you already mentioned shouldn't be an issue).

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts
I am looking for a pair too, so I am jumping in. I had a Prexport that I loved and wore the crud out of them. The soles were reattached twice so far. I also wear them to work and the toe sliders have saved me on a few occasions.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Cycle Gear's Bilt boots w/breathable perforations are often on sale for around $70 or so. I like mine and they come w/a 5 yr warranty. Sometimes I can feel the breeze and sometimes not.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm not familiar with "kickers", but for the most part, a good solid work book is not a bad choice for riding. There are lots of decent bike boots out there, and the above suggestions are reasonable. Your needs, budget and tastes will direct your choices. Just like all your gear.

The SV1000 is a nice bike. Not what I would recommend for a new rider, however. Since you "have the requisite" gear, it might be good to acquire the requisite skills. Proficient Motorcycling by David L Hough is a good start on a lifetime of skill acquisition and improvement, and just might save your life.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I love my SMX-5s:

I've worn them under my 9-5er costume without anyone noticing.. but normally I change once I get to work.

Very good air flow. But they act like sponges in the rain (which you already mentioned shouldn't be an issue).

I really liked the comfort and flow of these but the sole wore out stupid fast on the ball of my foot. I'm not sure if it's the fact I tend to put my weight there no matter where I'm riding or what but I've had better longevity with the ST Vented. They're a more sport-touring style, a bit more subdued, but I have been more than happy with them.

·
Registered
85 Posts
if price is a concern to you.

got something like this in the local military surplus store for 40 bucks.
i have a zipper too. but again , if only price a concern to you
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Magnum-Mens-Panther-8-0-Black/dp/B006V9JX16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347295179&sr=8-1&keywords=magnum+shoes++for+men+with+zipper[/ame]

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
When I was looking for boots fit, protection, and comfort were my goals. I had originally budgeted like you, about $200. I found on most boots you had to sacrifice one of those, and it wasn't really acceptable for me. Ended up biting the bullet on A* Supertech R's. I haven't regretted the decision. If you contact Rider's Discount on here you can get a significant discount over retail, still well above your $200 price range though. But definitely #1 in all 3 of those categories.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I got myself a pair of the Cortech Latigo Air boots

I've got extremely wide feet and these are very comfortable. The air version provides really good airflow (no footjuice when riding), but I can't speak for the waterproof version. Easy in/out, decent protection, comfortable, and great if you're on a budget
Only thing is they don't do half sizes (i.e. no 10.5, only 10 & 11)

Now when I ride without boots I feel so exposed..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

I've got extremely wide feet and these are very comfortable. The air version provides really good airflow (no footjuice when riding), but I can't speak for the waterproof version. Easy in/out, decent protection, comfortable, and great if you're on a budget

+1 on the Cortech Latigos.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
I too started out with Shift Kickers. Not acceptable protection in my book.

The Latigos are fantastic for the price. As another member pointed out they do run pretty wide. I bought a pair, then went to tcx s-races. Tcx has a new model out now so the races may have come down in price. They also have the s-zero which I have heard good things about.

Good for you for trying to protect yourself better. I'd stay away from combat boots personally since that would be a lateral or step down from the kickers, which, as you know, at least have plastic ankle cups and whatnot.

Let us know what you end up with.

www.motorcyclegear.com has always been excellent to me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am not sure what model I got but I purchased some of the Cyclegear Bilt boots and I can tell you they are very comfortable once they break in from wearing them. I bought size 14 because the toe box was to narrow at 13 (my normal shoe size). The boots were tight across the ball of my foot at first but after wearing them for about 6 hours they have broken right in and I wear them as I walk around during rides. I went to a pop warner football game yesterday and had the boots on and my riding jeans over them and after 2 hours in the Cali sun and then a 20 minute ride home my feet were'nt any sweatier than when I wear my running shoes all day. The boots only cost around $69 on sale.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I race with the AStar SMX Plus vented. Great protection and the breath VERY Well. I had a bike land on my foot and I didn't hardly feel it in my ankle. They are also extremely comfortable to walk around it and do not squeek like a lot of other race oriented boots.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have the supertech and gp plus boots on my list 'to try' for trackday boots. Are they as difficult to walk in as they look?
My supertech's I can, and have, worn all day. No trouble walking at all. They are super comfortable on and off the bike. Driving a car (if for some reason you're wearing them while driving) is a different story.

·
Premium Member
3,147 Posts

How is room in the calve? I have big calves and need some room there.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts