Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm still in the market for a good pair of boots and overpants. I am looking for some boots that protect my ankle while offering good support. Of course, the ability to walk around in them or wear them all year round are both bonuses. I was in cyclegear and I found a pair of Sedici that seemed decent but I wasn't sure about the quality. I know they're cyclegear's own house brand and all, but what are the opionions of Sedici on here?

Now on to the overpants. While I was at cyclegear I tried on some HT Overpants. The fit seemed nice, maybe a little long since I'm only 5'7" with about a 29" inseam, but I expect that with most products unless they offer a short version. The issue I found with the HT Overpants besides the length was they felt and looked like snowpants. Is this the deal with most Overpants? I am looking for some pants that I can wear year round, and I don't have tendencies to get cold. Plus my commute is only about 4 miles so even on a cold day if they aren't the warmest of pants I'm not going to fret.

I'm sick of changing out of my jeans in the office bathroom...

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
All the major brands of motorcycle apparel have over pants in their lineup. Some are textile, textile mesh, leather and textile with leather. Some motorcycle pants can be worn as either stand alone pants or as over pants. Some do feel and look like snow mobile pants. I would check the major online dealers to get an idea what's available. Such as, Motorcycle Superstore, MotorcycleGear, BikeBandit, Competition Accessories, etc. Brands such as AlpineStars, FirstGear, Courtech, AGVSport, Icon, BMW, Fieldsheer,Aerostitch, Olympia and many more.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I have the Icon Automag Leather Overpants. There is a full length zipper that runs down each leg and then stops about 6ish inches from the bottom. There are two snaps at the bottom, and it is designed to be cut to fit. Just take it to a tailer that does leather and have them cut and hem it to fit. I've also crash tested them. The big downside is that they're about $300.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been looking online at the retailers but I have tough times trusting the sales pitch that goes with the description. What I am looking for is listed in my original post except I forgot to say armor would be preferable. I kind of forgot about this seeing as it's a given to me when I look at things.

I can narrow down a search in an online store but without some actual references and reviews I have a tough time looking at something.

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
If they are truly "overpants," you're going to have a difficult finding a pair that doesn't look too bulky. Afterall, they are cut to fit over the pants you are already wearing.

I have a pair of Tour Master Venture Air Mesh pants that work for me, but I also have a 1-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter that used to get the "are you going snowmobiling, or something?" comments from some of my co-workers when I was in Los Angeles.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What are the differences between the mesh, textile, or a combo between leather and textile? I'm asking for both durability and warmth/airflow.

Also, no one has answered about boots or the quality of sedici products yet. Are there no opinions on this?

·
Registered
9,110 Posts
If you're just going to wear them without crashing, then durability shouldn't be much of an issue. Mesh will flow better than textile, and textile is probably better than leather - unless it's perforated. When you factor in crashing the preferences invert: Leather>Textile>Mesh.

Boots: You're going to get as many different opinions as you do responses. I've never seen or touched a Sedici boot, so I have no opinion on them. I have two pairs of boots, both from TCX. I've found they fit my wider foot better than the Alpinestars or Sidis I had. I have the X Cube for commuting and daily wear at the office, and the S Race for more serious riding.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have Sedici gloves and a leather suit. Quality seems decent. I have Bilt boots and have been happy with them. I would expect the Sedici boots to be of better quality, as the Sedici leathers and gloves are better than the Bilt leathers and gloves.
IOW, I would have no qualms about Sedici boots.

If you have no objections to 1-piece suits, you might take a look at the Olympia Stealth. I've been wearing the Stealth regularly for several years and am happy with it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How does the Stealth perform in colder weather? Is there a liner that can be installed and removed? Do you look like a spaceman? What about waterproof?

I wish my job would just let me wear jeans...I sit at a computer all day and don't even see people. Not like my pants should matter...

·
Registered
818 Posts
Fine (see below). No. Yes. No.

The Stealth works great as part of a layering system. As it gets colder, I add a windbreaker, turtleneck, and electrics. If you are wearing dress pants in colder weather, you legs will probably get cold. Rain pants would be an easy option there.

I laughed at the spaceman question. I also wear a grey/silver helmet and get the spacesuit/spaceman comment from time to time. Always seems to be in fun, never negative.

Over the years, I have become a big fan of the flexibility that layering offers. OTOH, if your weather is fairly constant during the day, it might be easier to have multiple dedicated riding suits, and just choose according to the season and day.

The Stealth is mesh, and is not water resistant beyond a sprinkle on an unfaired bike. I use the raingear as a layer against the cold and/or wet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts