Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What happens when your engine blows on the front straight 100- 200 yards from the finish line on the last lap. I heard a crazy noise and it felt like someone hit the brakes pretty hard when I assume the rear locked up. Lucky I grabbed the clutch quick enough and was able to coast off the racing line and cross the finish with my hand up.

cracked the engine case and the cylinder
Bent the valves, ruined the seats
Bore shattered and I assume with all the debris nothing else in the crankcase survived.
Rim Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Machine Circle

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

notice rod bent at 90 degrees

I actually think I might have sucked in some debris (fcr w/velocity stacks). I found some bits of broken plastic on top of the piston when I took the head off.
unfortunately I don’t think anything will be salvageable. Maybe the rear cylinder head.
Found the end of the rod in the debris pile inside the crank case.
Terrestrial animal Fish Soil Funeral Catfish

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ouch! Thats pretty terminal eh. Hope I never experience that scenario, good thing you were quick on the clutch.
Hope you weren't leading the race.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Better shot of the rods. Crank might be salvageable it looks like will need to be. Checked. A lot of force was transmitted to it. My undercut transmission actually looks good too.
Product Hand tool Tool Gas Bicycle part

Liquid Green Light Fluid Art

·
Super Moderator
9,069 Posts
Cool photos.

Usually one looks for metal in the oil, not the other way around.

Ua, you are taking your screen name too literally. : -)

·
Registered
134 Posts
That rod looks off. I'd check it before reinstall. :LOL:

Jokes aside, is anything in that engine actually reusable? I'm no motorcycle mechanic, but I would have a hard time trusting any of it.

Regardless, sorry for your Big Boom.

Better shot of the rods. Crank might be salvageable it looks like will need to be. Checked. A lot of force was transmitted to it. My undercut transmission actually looks good too.
View attachment 59400
View attachment 59401

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
It looks like maybe the undercut transmission is reusable, the rear cylinder head and the crank if it’s not bent. The gears on the transmission actually look good. I can’t find any chipped or marked teeth.

as far as mods the bike came built with a zero hour motor when I bought it.
Following was done to it
Fcr carbs 41mm with full exhaust
Gen 2 cam swap
Zlock pistons 1mm over
Falicon rods and lightened and balanced crank
Ported heads and valve job
Undercut transmission

Almost made it all season. Had 1 more race that day.

I signed up for NRS in July so only got to make it to 3 race rounds.

This engine did:
9 track days this year
7 races
8 practice/qualifying sessions
About 19 hours total of my ham fisted down shifting, hitting revline and other shenanigans.

I changed the oil after every track day and every race weekend. New filter every other oil change. Water and water wetter was also changed at the same rate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ha. The case are shredded. I already recycled them. I assumed the crank wasn’t any good. At this point I think I’m going to part out the bike. I found a built superbike motor for sale but I’m finding it hard to put that much money back into this chassis. A new build is out of the question. I’d just buy an RS660 at that point. And a stock motor would be pointless for racing since class wise this bike will always be a superbike (forks, wiring changed). I think I’ll be waiting to find a second gen race bike in supersport trim or run a cripple triple R6. That or move down and get an R3. B

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah open veloctiy stacks will be a thing of the past. Bike came that way and I should have listened to my inner voice at the beginning of the season.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I looked real hard at my budget. Gonna work on talent next year.
Gonna be putting it in the stock motor I’m picking up. Also found out my heads have Web racing cams. Taking the front head to my machinist to check it out and get new valve seats and guides put in. Then we should be in business. Getting a lightened flywheel also. And for sure pod filters. So lightly built then I’ll think about moving to another bike for 2023.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts