Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious what everyone's opinion is. At what point does the book value no longer really mean much on a motorcycle?

This question is not to determine value of my bike, but I will use it as an example. My 2001 SV650 Naked has 18,500 miles. It's been well maintained. (Maybe not to the letter, but very closely). It has never been laid down, and has really no cosmetic flaws. KBB Trade value is about $1,000 and "excellent" retail is supposedly $1,900. I don't see many $1,000 - $2,000 bikes for sale that aren't pretty rough in my area.

At what point do they no longer depreciate any further? At this age I think overall condition and maintenance to be more important than the KBB range.

Just curious what other folks have to say. Again, this isn't to determine the value of my bike. I have no plans to sell mine. It's worth more to me than I think I could ever sell it for at this point.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Use NADA for bikes. KBB is more for cars.

Value is based on what someone is willing to pay for it. The "book" is just to get you close to that number. Condition, buyer, seller, time of year, cloud cover, what you ate for breakfast, and a plethora of other things will go into the value.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes....I get it. But what I'm really asking is when does the book (NADA or KBB) no longer have much relevance?

And when does the rate of depreciation taper of to almost nothing?

·
Registered
968 Posts
i think after 25 years a vehicle is considered an antique, at least for motorcycles i think. thats what my fiancee told me the lady at the DMV told her. after that, depending on the condition of said vehicle, im sure that the value would appreciate rather than depreciate.

thats just my train of thought. could be totally wrong, which i probably am.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For comparison, NADA lists 2001 Suzuki SV 650 in my zip code at low retail :$1,485 and average retail for :$1,955. There is a difference in KBB and NADA.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Yes....I get it. But what I'm really asking is when does the book (NADA or KBB) no longer have much relevance?

What are you basing this on. CL ad's? because most of those are known to start high. I got my SV for nearly half of what the guy was "asking" for the most part craigslist numbers are just whatever numbers they picked and are much higher than what they would really sell for.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Book value is more relevant for newer vehicles, not so much for older ones. A bike like yours will sell more quickly than the other "worn" bikes of similar age and be able to surpass the book by whatever someone is willing to pay. Book values vs values found in classic/antique books mean nothing if a bike becomes rare or collectible. In the case of a SV, they were inexpensive when new and many were sold. There are owners trying to sell excellent condition '01 SVS with low mileage for $3K. That's just absurd, but you only need one buyer who may think the bike is worth that. Off roader said it best. What about a Buell that is no longer made? Is the book relevant? To a seller yes and maybe a bit more, to a buyer, the bike is obsolete and not worth as much if it were still in production. The market really determines the value.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are you basing this on. CL ad's?
Not Craigslist. This is really more just a question about depreciation. NADA and KBB guides are simply that. A guide. I realize that. True depreciation is determined by a lot of factors.

I realize the question is entirely based on opinion...and probably a little vague.

I'll try to phrase this with another example. Let's say a 15 yr old bike. It's not antique. Maybe the "book" value indicates $700 on the low end and $1400 on the high end. You go to look at it, and it's mechanically sound, runs great, and has almost no cosmetic flaws. It has great rubber, good chain /sprockets...and has had all the recent service you expect. Do the "book" values really mean anything on this bike?

I mean at some point --maybe the $1,000 mark, almost any bike in good running order would be worth that to someone. So does the "depreciation" by the book ever stop? When does the bike stop losing value as long as it's being maintained?

I'm trying to leave the "antique" factor out of the question.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Let me answer your above posting. I bought my Triumph 955 Daytona when it was twelve yrs old from the orig. owner with less than 8Kmiles in pristine condition. The Nada book in my area is $2,100. The seller tried to sell for $3,900 on Ebay and via CL. I paid him $3,300. I got a good deal on the bike because of the market value of the bike, not what the book says. I did not pay too much. The book on this particular bike is meaningless unless the bike is in fair, high mileage condition. A bike or car only continues to depreciate if the market dries up. No buyers, the vehicle becomes worthless.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Book value is more relevant for newer vehicles, not so much for older ones. A bike like yours will sell more quickly than the other "worn" bikes of similar age and be able to surpass the book by whatever someone is willing to pay.
This summarizes pretty well what I was suggesting.

I've watched the book value of my SV over the 11 yrs I have owned it. I purchased it new. In the last couple years I've had the same question over and over -- "I wonder if these book values ever stop dropping?"

Once you're under $1,000 in value...it seems like a part out would bring more $. But maybe that's a new topic.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me answer your above posting. I bought my Triumph 955 Daytona when it was twelve yrs old from the orig. owner with less than 8Kmiles in pristine condition. The Nada book in my area is $2,100. The seller tried to sell for $3,900 on Ebay and via CL. I paid him $3,300. I got a good deal on the bike because of the market value of the bike, not what the book says. I did not pay too much. The book on this particular bike is meaningless unless the bike is in fair, high mileage condition. A bike or car only continues to depreciate if the market dries up. No buyers, the vehicle becomes worthless.
I like this response even more. It gives me hope that if I keep this bike another 2-3 years, I could still get a reasonable price for it regardless of what the book says.

I'm wondering if others here also "ignore" the book values once the bike reaches a certain age & rely more on their knowledge of the condition and market for the bike. This is the essence of my question.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Book value is pretty much irrelevant when the bike is not changing hands. From my experience KBB is closer than NADA, but others have differing opinions. The more your bike falls outside the norm, whether in mileage or condition, the less relevant the book value will be.

Also, tastes and markets shift, so book value is not necessarily a good indicator or whether a particular bike would be a good investment and/or a good vehicle to own and ride.

In general, because of the limited info on bike sales and variability in mileage and condition, the older the bike, the less reliable the book values become.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I think once you get a certain age, book value loses its relevancy. Older than a decade, and you start looking more at the condition of the bike than anything. Runs well, good mechanical shape, doesn't look beat to hell? You'll probably always get $1,250-1,500 for it if you're patient enough.

Conversely, you might have a somewhat more rare or desirable bike that has a low book value, but has a much higher market value. Book value on an old Honda or Yamaha turbo charged bike would probably be low, but if it's in good shape you could get a nice premium for it.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts

KBB and NADA stop being relevant when the economy becomes crap, the market determines value... when the market(economy) is doing good, you can expect to see NADA and KBB all day long. When it's bad... throw the books out the window.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
In my limited experience, it seems that KBB and NADA values don't really mean much. When I sold my last bike, I didn't even look at how much the book value was. I based my asking price on the market. I looked at similar bikes selling on CL, Ebay, and the classifieds. In all reality, no one cares what a website says a bike is worth if the market won't bear that price.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Use NADA for bikes. KBB is more for cars.

Value is based on what someone is willing to pay for it. The "book" is just to get you close to that number. Condition, buyer, seller, time of year, cloud cover, what you ate for breakfast, and a plethora of other things will go into the value.
use NADA for cars as well

I find that KBB publishes "wannna get" prices. NADA is based on actual reported sales prices

1 - 17 of 17 Posts