Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I want to attend my first track day at NJMP before the end of the season with my bone stock 2000 SV650. Do you guys think I will run into any issues or have any recommendations for me? The bike runs perfect but before I attend I am planning on changing out all the fluids and putting on new brake pads. In regards to tires, it currently has a like new set of Dunlop Q2 tires with approx 500 miles on them.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,229 Posts
The bike will do just fine as long as all the mechanicals are in good working order. Just focus on riding it. Q2s are great, just don't go balls out on the first lap or two. Give them time to warm up. Someone here should be able to give a good starting air pressure to run in them.

Focus on your riding and have a good time. If you have issues, just grab a Control rider or pester one of the other riders at the track and ask questions.

·
Premium Member
4,340 Posts
Bone stock WITH FRAME SLIDERS might be better if you can do it in time.

(Oh my! I seem to have shouted there. So much for my friendly reputation.)

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Do you guys think I will run into any issues or have any recommendations for me?
Make sure you check with the track day organization to see if they have any special requirements. (safety wire, no ethylene glycol, etc)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
OEM pads would be fine too, if anything I'd do the frame sliders instead.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Forgot about them in my original post but I do have a set of Motosliders on the bike.

Thanks for all the info and tips so far.
Just take it easy the first time, it's not a race, no checkered flags at the end.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just take it easy the first time, it's not a race, no checkered flags at the end.
Yeah my goal is to have a good time and learn as much as I can. If it is as much fun as everyone is telling me it is, then I will certainly become a track junkie.

:icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
392 Posts
You will be fine. A stock SV will get you quite a ways. :)
Have fun and enjoy the day. Once you get addicted then you can start with the upgrades. You can have a lot of fun with decent tires and mild suspension upgrades. NJMP is a suspension friendly track too. So you won't pay a huge penalty for running stock components.

I wish I was going with you..... Lol

·
Registered
723 Posts
What he said!

I did my first track day on a bone stock 2000 SV650 naked. It was soooo cool. It was red so it was very fast. You will have such a good time. I wish I was going too. Q2s are awesome tires.
At a track day this summer the Dunlop rep recommended 32/32 for my Superhawk. There will probably be a tire rep there from at least one company. Ask him for advice. Don't ask the guys with slicks, its a different world.

Remember...squeeze..don't grab the brakes. Roll the throttle...roll on....roll off. Be smooth

1 - 12 of 12 Posts