Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this going to be fixable with bondo and a lot of patience? Or is it just too big and that much/deep bondo will fail in a short period of time?

·
Registered
667 Posts
I would say fill the majority of it with something, may Styrofoam (real stuff, not just EPS) and then bondo or glass over it.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Vinz on here did the same exact dent(except had a small hole thru it).fixed ,painted no problem.You probably can find someone to do it for relatively cheap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok well im looking into how hard it would be to fill and then bondo myself verse taking it somewhere... i think i might just go drive around to a couple bike shops and see if they know of any local places to try out..

thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
It is possible to bondo that however I would recommend you try to push it out as much as possible. Use the tiger hair, it's the best, and clean every bit of paint and dirt and grease off, usually the only reason bondo fails is improper prep. It really sucks when it starts to rust from underneath the bondo. Use acetone as your cleaner but remember it will eat the paint right off that thing.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I don't think it matters if the paint gets damaged^^^look at first pic.You get to chose a new color now if you like.

·
Banned
2,973 Posts
I would try to find a suitable dent tool to pop the dent out a little from the inside. Ding King ain't going to work on that a one... Then bondo and paint as usual.

·
Banned
39 Posts
umm it sounds to me like some of you believe this is a reasonable fix with the tank still on the bike?? lol pull that tank off pull the guts out of it, dissassemble it completely, take a hammer to the inside of that beat on it till it comes the majority of the way out, sand down the inside of the hole with 800 grit paper (prolly easier to do this first) bondo it (your gona have to do it a couple times) make sure you add more bondo than you think you need so that you have some stuff to sand off. Sand it off till it looks pretty, (1000 grit) then continue to sand the rest of the tank. spray whole tank down with 2 coats rustoleum primer, sand whole tank down with like 1200 grit (clean, everytime you sand you have to clean) 2 coats color, buff whole tank, 2 coats clear, buff the hell out of it an should look like new

·
Registered
529 Posts
Sell that tank to a racer cheap. Use the money towards a new or Ebay tank that is in better condition.

I sold a perfect tank for $200. If you can get $75, that leaves a difference of $125. You will spend more than that on materials with the risk of it looking like crap and falling apart next year. Even pros can't match the factory finish quality.

Believe me, I have done some stupid stuff before and learned some hard lessons. Gotta learn when to hold'em and when to fold'em.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Put a tank bag over it and forget its there :)

<jk> I agree, it would probably be easier/cheaper to sell that tank and buy one in decent shape.

·
Super Moderator
6,911 Posts
From the looks of it, it needs to be roughed-out before filling IMO.

I don't think you can get anything inside the tank enough to work it out from there. It needs to have the dent pulled from the outside with a tool that welds studs on for a slidehammer. It also needs to have the ridges around the dent hammered down at the same time.

It would require complete disassembly and careful cleaning to remove all of the vapors before welding on the studs, as they will throw flames out the backside...

You could fill it, but it would be a pretty lame job. You'll have a real !#$%^& time trying to match the color.

As noted, a different tank may be quicker/easier as you have to repaint either way.

Jay

·
SV Hadder
10,486 Posts
Sell that tank to a racer cheap. Use the money towards a new or Ebay tank that is in better condition.

I sold a perfect tank for $200. If you can get $75, that leaves a difference of $125. You will spend more than that on materials with the risk of it looking like crap and falling apart next year. Even pros can't match the factory finish quality.

Believe me, I have done some stupid stuff before and learned some hard lessons. Gotta learn when to hold'em and when to fold'em.
do this. you'll never get the paint to match.

·
Banned
39 Posts
geeez wheres you guys sense of adventure. How hard is it go get the paint code for that year/color an buy a pint. **** i bet the guy at home depot could match that color if you wanted to paint your room zuki yellow

·
Super Moderator
6,911 Posts
geeez wheres you guys sense of adventure. How hard is it go get the paint code for that year/color an buy a pint. **** i bet the guy at home depot could match that color if you wanted to paint your room zuki yellow
I hope you are kidding.

Do a search on it here and you will find out how hard it is...

Matching paint is a total PITA, especially cycle paint. Auto paint has a much better matching system that (usually) works. Cycle paint matching is much more difficult.

Jay

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok well i went to a couple different people that i know that professionally fix dents and do body work. All of them said that they would not even attempt to fix the dent. They said it would be possible to fill/bondo the dent and then repaint, but that would likely cost more than simply buying a new tank. Therefore I am going to follow your guys advise of buying one and selling the current one to a racer...

I should be able to get a pretty good deal, since i am not in a huge rush..

Thank you for all the replies.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts