Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how well does bondo adhere to plastic? Specifically plastic like the tail pieces on the sv.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
Fiberglass repair kits, and a little bondo should work .... have any pics of the damage? I might be able to help more that way.

·
OberKommandant
6,133 Posts
I haven't tried it myself but I have heard that fiberglass does not work well with plastic, the resin doesn't seem to adhere well. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, this is something I have been interested in too, but have never had the opportunity to try.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this isn't really to repair this is to um fill a small hole ;)

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nothing yet this is to um get rid of some thing that won't be needed once i do some thing that no one can find out about but will probally figure out from this thread :-[

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
B.a. said:
nothing yet this is to um get rid of some thing that won't be needed once i do some thing that no one can find out about but will probally figure out from this thread :-[
thinking about filling the front turn signal holes? ive been wanting to do that for a while... just gotta get off my ass and buy the stuff and find the time to do it.

·
Registered
10,246 Posts
wonderjosh said:
thinking about filling the front turn signal holes? ive been wanting to do that for a while... just gotta get off my ass and buy the stuff and find the time to do it.
If thats the case, I surely wouldnt just cake a big hunk of bondo in there.... Longevity would be short.

Cut more out, and use a fiberglass kit on it to make it flat, and contour it with a SMALL amount of bondo... If you want more detail let me know.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I have read that West Systems epoxy resins, available at West Marine boating supply stores, is great for repairs to BAS and fiberglass. Windsurfers use it to repair ABS boards and Cobra kit car guys use it to fill mold seams when preping the bodies for paint. It is expensive compares to bondo or a fiberglass repair kit from Autozone but the have extensive instructions and fillers to complete various applications.

·
Registered
684 Posts
fiberglass wont stick for long. trust me. use a plastic epoxy filler. talk to a body shop and they will tell you what to get. its waht you use to repair scrathes in car bumpers that are "plastic" the whole thing is there is like 4 kinds of plastic used for body parts. fiberglass will stick but if it is bumped or kicked especailly if you live in a changing climate like MI. it will crack around the seam.

·
Registered
25 Posts
i had an older ninja that i had to do major repairs to half the fairings... I used ABS Epoxy (available at discount auto parts, etc) and bondo... never had any issues and after repainting the damaged parts looked new

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
from the front side tape the hole.
rough up the back side with 80 grit sand paper.
use 2 or 3 layers of fiberglass cut to extend ~1/2" past the hole in all directions.
Apply resin with a paint brush and let it dry over night.
Remove tape.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
donniej said:
from the front side tape the hole.
rough up the back side with 80 grit sand paper.
use 2 or 3 layers of fiberglass cut to extend ~1/2" past the hole in all directions.
Apply resin with a paint brush and let it dry over night.
Remove tape.
donnie -
what kind of tape would you use? I'm just wondering if the resin is going to seep into the tape, and what would happen if it does (eat through it? glue it to the fiberglass?)

reason I ask is I'm going to do some fiberglassing today (just sealing a stress crack). I was planning to use ordinary painter's paper masking tape to keep the resin from seeping through the crack to the painted side (I'm NOT repainting, so I don't want gobs of dried resin on my painted side).

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
I use masking tape or duct tape. The resin may seep through a little but since the surface hasn't been sanded onb that side you can usually pick what little comes through off with your finger nail. The resin will only stick well to a coarsely sanded surface which is why I suggest 80 grit.
The resin will stick to the tape but agian, it's not to difficult to pick it out, especially if you're doing a crack.
I'd also suggest you drill a small hole at each end of your crack to prevent it from spreading.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts