Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I read this somewhere else as a trick to take out the hex bolt front axle.

My 2004 gsxr 1000 axle is a 24mm. Buying a 24mm allen wrench is CRAZY expensive, though.

If you buy a 5/8" bolt and two nuts for it, the head is exactly 24mm and then you just need a 24mm deep well socket, which is about 5 bucks at autozone.

So the tool costs you about 6 bucks. It works GREAT for me.
How exactly do you get this to work? I have to take out a front axle on a 04 GSXR 600.

·
Registered
138 Posts
if you put the two nuts on the opposite sid eof the bolt from the head, then tighten them together, they become imovable. so you can put the head of the bolt in the axle and use the socket on the two nuts. hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
^^^ What he said. Just put the two nuts on at the end of the bolt, then tighten the nuts against each other, they'll lock in place. Put the socket over the two nuts, and put the bolt head in the axle hole.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
for the gen2 sv it is only a 12mm allen that is needed. You should be able to find a pack of three large wrenches (including 12mm) in most auto parts stores for about $10. I also bought a conventional 12mm allen key at sears and cut an inch off the end to use in a 12mm socket. This was also about $10.

·
Premium Member
3,098 Posts
5/8 is, however, no the right size bolt. 24mm is much closer to 1 inch than 5/8.

i think he means the diameter of the threaded part of the bolt, thats wut they mean by a 5/8 bolt...the size of the head is 24 mm...which im pretty sure in standard is 15/16

·
Registered
301 Posts
for the gen2 sv it is only a 12mm allen that is needed. You should be able to find a pack of three large wrenches (including 12mm) in most auto parts stores for about $10. I also bought a conventional 12mm allen key at sears and cut an inch off the end to use in a 12mm socket. This was also about $10.
That's what I thought when I read this. I didn't remember the allen wrench for the front being that expensive. I bought one without any worry about the cost.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
even cheaper: ($8 shipped conus) ;D

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Thanks bro. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I just spent $2 at Home Depot. They sell a threaded adapter that is 24mm hex OD with 5/8" threaded inside. Works great and is cheap. It's the same one that is sold on eBay for $12 plus shipping.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Ugh, where was this thread a few days ago. Just paid $60 for a 24mm hex driver. Oh well....pay and learn.

·
Woody's Lackey
1,464 Posts
on my R6 i just use a spark plug socket to remove my frt axle. dont know if that will work for you but you could try it. and before i am asked how does that work i use the 5/8 spark plug socket and remove the rubber center, then i turn it around and install an extension into it and use the hex part of it in my frt axle. i dont know if that will work for your bike but its worth a try.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
on my R6 i just use a spark plug socket to remove my frt axle. dont know if that will work for you but you could try it. and before i am asked how does that work i use the 5/8 spark plug socket and remove the rubber center, then i turn it around and install an extension into it and use the hex part of it in my frt axle. i dont know if that will work for your bike but its worth a try.
+1

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I am a firm believer in using the correct tool for the job. If you think you will be doing the job more than once, just buy the right tool. If it's a one time thing then a jerry rigged set up, like a nut and bolt is fine. Any more than that and you will be much happier with a proper tool. That's just my opinion obviously.

·
Premium Member
518 Posts
exactly right on my 6R as well.

a.s.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I am a firm believer in using the correct tool for the job. If you think you will be doing the job more than once, just buy the right tool. If it's a one time thing then a jerry rigged set up, like a nut and bolt is fine. Any more than that and you will be much happier with a proper tool. That's just my opinion obviously.
:nana: Dude- $60 vs. a spark plug socket you have in your box already? I'll bet it works better than the Allen Wrench...
This is a cheaper alternative from motion pro:

·
Registered
522 Posts
:nana: Dude- $60 vs. a spark plug socket you have in your box already? I'll bet it works better than the Allen Wrench...
This is a cheaper alternative from motion pro:
That motion pro is they way I'd go, that is if I hadn't already bought a 10 pound brick of a bit that could double as a weapon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts