Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few days ago i was out on a relatively short ride and i hear what sounds like a really loud buzz. all of a sudden a hear a quiet ping sound and then when i go to upshift the ENTIRE rearset pivots upward on the one remaining bolt!!!! so i pull over off the road and realize that one of the bolts that holds the rearset on has fallen off. i was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else here. if it has that is pretty lame and could be potentially fatal if it was a different bolt somewhere else.

·
Registered
67 Posts
That's pretty scary. Glad nothing serious happened to you.

It's supposed to be part of normal maintenance to check all "fittings and fasteners" for "proper tightness" or "correct torque".

I'd recommend Red Loctite on the bolts holding the footrests and torque them to what the manual recommends. They're not likely to be removed for anything unless you're going to rearsets.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It happend to me, but only on aftermarket rearsets. I used out of date locktite or something. Didn't lose any bolts luckily.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I was eating ice cream one time and saw a radiator bolt hanging on by a thread. (is that a pun?) I thought it was causing the buzz my bike has been having, but alas, no. So, I checked most of my bolts so it wouldn't happen again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I lost one of the two bolts holding the fairing stay to the frame, and the other 2 threads away from dropping too. :eek:

·
Registered
419 Posts
You should try riding a single.

As someone else said, the service manuals all tell you to check your fasteners almsot every service interval. I doubt many people do it. Bikes vibrate. Vaibrtion can loosen a fastener. Thread locker certainly helps, but there really isn't any substitute for checking fastener tightness periodically.

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
Bolts working loose is common - particularly on twins.

Gotta check stuff from time to time to make sure it stays snug, as it's the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wow. This exact same thing happened to me also. Let me guess it was the top bolt. I never heard my bolt come off and I thought I was stuck in neutral. You know how if it doesn't pop into gear by simply rolling your heal back you then try a kind of toe lift pulling your whole foot off the peg? So I am doing that still thinking it just wont or cant find a higher gear. Pulled over and realized the same as you. I have no tool kit either b/c it was stolen. So I had to ride a few miles in first on the shoulder and flagged a guy down on a Kawa. who had his tool kit. Fortunately their bolts are the same size and he had a allen to fit it so we torque the remaining bolt down tight then realized the bolts that hold the grab bar on will also fit the rear set and we put one of those bolts in there. It is actually still set up like that too. Man thanks for reminding me I have to order that bolt and some lock tight

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
in 120,000 miles so far I've never had a bolt come loose..... maybe i't cause I don't whine about the 1.5-2 hours it takes my dealer to do a service the correct way

·
Registered
745 Posts
Ruefus said:
Bolts working loose is common - particularly on twins.

Gotta check stuff from time to time to make sure it stays snug, as it's the nature of the beast.

Don't I know it. Remember my license plate issue on our group ride? ;D

·
Registered
120 Posts
At least I'm not the only one. My entire shifter peg came out and was dangeling. I was stuck in 5th gear. To make a long story short in order not to stall and had to ride the clutch which resulted in replacing my ENTIRE clutch mechinism, not just the plates. Basket and everthing inside and was only at 10,000km!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts