Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got around to cutting some vents in the cowl covering the RR. May not help, but I figured it can't hurt. 

The vents more or less mimic the shape of the side cover vent.  I copied the side cover opening using a flat bed scanner then enlarged it 20% for the front vent template and reduced it about the same amount for the rear vent template.  The vents were cut out with a Dremmel - rough cut with a rotary (bit type) cutter and finished with a sanding attachment and/or tapered stone.  I screwed up the front a little and wound up making it a bit larger than I planned.  I drilled 5/16" holes directly above the RR to let heat out when standing still. 

I tapered the rear vent a little more than the template called for.

This is how it looks with my saddlebags. A portion of the tail light could be seen through the rear opening, so I covered it with masking tape and painted it flat black. (The saddlebags don't cover the top vent holes.)  All openings are smoother and more regular than the pictures seem to show. I am fairly pleased with the results. I have some tank dents to repair and plan to re-paint the plastic. Right now I am leaning toward white, which I think will look good with the vents.

·
Registered
830 Posts
looks pretty sweet.

you should get some fine chicken wire or a flexible grill or something, paint it black and glue it to the inside udner the openings.

that would be bad ass.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yellow650 said:
looks pretty sweet.

you should get some fine chicken wire or a flexible grill or something, paint it black and glue it to the inside udner the openings. 

that would be bad ass.
I actually thought of doing that. Maybe use hot melt to anchor the screen? If/when I get around to painting it, I may try that.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
avc8130 said:
Why again is this necessary?  I have owned 2 SV's and never seen a problem with the RR...was yours getting too hot for some reason?
ac
RR's create a lot of heat as part of their normal function. Heat is very bad on electronics such as diodes. Suzuki - probably for styling/cost reasons - placed the RR in a place poorly ventilated. RR failure is not uncommon. I've had one fail and I am suspicious about the current one. (See "Crappy electrics in SV.......? by wee twin for a good discussion on the charging system.)

Like I said, can't hurt, and I think it looks kind of cool.

·
Registered
653 Posts
novakane said:
rr is what exactly?
Regulator/Rectifier. This component is essentially a heat sink that converts the AC current of the generator into DC current to charge the battery and system.

My only concern with cutting the fairing is rain and the elements of the street getting in. Instead of cutting the holes on top and in back, you could run a piece of duct right onto the unit from front or maybe below.

I've had one fail as well, then fitted the larger, GSXR unit and haven't had problems yet. I think this becomes an issue when in traffic, or just the summer heat and humidity.

Nice looking overall. Reminds me of Mad Max beyond Thunderdome.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
algreen said:
Regulator/Rectifier. This component is essentially a heat sink that converts the AC current of the generator into DC current to charge the battery and system.

My only concern with cutting the fairing is rain and the elements of the street getting in. Instead of cutting the holes on top and in back, you could run a piece of duct right onto the unit from front or maybe below.

I've had one fail as well, then fitted the larger, GSXR unit and haven't had problems yet. I think this becomes an issue when in traffic, or just the summer heat and humidity.

Nice looking overall. Reminds me of Mad Max beyond Thunderdome.
I thought about that, but if you think about it, there's nothing really under the cowl that requires much weather protection, which is probably why it's really not sealed off. I think its major function - apart from styling - is to act as a heat shield for the RR. I did this because I thought it was the simpliest solution. (Can't get any simplier than just removing stuff :D)

If I have to replace my RR I would definately consider an upgrade if there's a benefit. (If there is, why in hell doesn't Suzuki tell us and maybe provide an equivalent part for the SV?) Did you have to cut and splice wires to fit the GSXR unit?

·
Registered
653 Posts
wee twin said:
Did you have to cut and splice wires to fit the GSXR unit? 
No cutting necessary. Simply remove the complete wire and terminal from the jigsa plastic coupler and reinsert into SV. There is a good write up on the procedure in tips and tricks "cheap RR replacement"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts