Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'll be lusting over this bike for a while:

470 pounds wet, 122 BHP.

? Air-cooled flat-twin 1170cc power unit with balance shaft.
? Max output increased to 90 kW/122 hp at 8,250 rpm.
? Electronic BMS-K engine management with dual ignition, knock control, two
oxygen sensors, and a fully controlled three-way catalytic converter.
? Light and stable, three-piece frame structure made of steel and aluminium tubes.
? Extra-stiff Telelever with sensitive response and superior steering precision.
? EVO Paralever with extra-light driveshaft.
? Dry weight 190 kg/430 lb, weight in road trim with full tank 213 kg/470 lb.
? Front fairing support made of extra-light pressure-cast magnesium.
? Tail light with 18 LEDs.
? Silencer with tailpipes positioned beneath one another directly under the rear
fairing.
? Aerodynamically optimised, extra-slender body.
? Sports suspension with superior steering precision.
? High-performance brake system.
? New, extra-light ABS (optional) (weight is 1.5 kilos or 3.3 lb).
? Wide range of accessories tailored to the sports rider.

Optional extras available straight from the factory.
? BMW Motorrad ABS (two-channel system).
? Öhlins sports suspension.
? Six-inch rear wheel with extra-wide 190-millimetre tyre.
? Anti-theft warning system.
? Twin-tone paintwork.
? Heated grips.

Special accessories retrofitted by the dealer.
? Paddock stand with an appropriate adapter.
? Passenger seat hump.
? Tank bag.
? Sports bag (small).
? Tinted windscreen.
? Silencer cover made of carbon-fibre-
? Heated grips.
? Anti-theft warning system.
? Supplementary on-board toolkit.

? Weight and Dimensions
Length, overall mm 2,151
Width, overall, with mirrors mm 870
Handlebar width, without mirrors mm 738
Seat height mm 830
Dry weight kg 190
Unladen weight, DIN standard, in road trim kg 213
Max permissible kg 410
Tank capacity/thereof reserve ltr 17/4

? Performance
Fuel consumption
90 km/h ltr/100 km 4.3
120 km/h ltr/100 km 5.6
Acceleration
0?100 km/h sec 3.15
Top speed km/h 200 plus

It may not be the cookie cutter japanese sport bike, but with a horizontally opposed, 122 HP, air cooled twin, I'm sure it'll be heck of sport bike and an awesome tourer.  Throw in BMW reliability and reduced maintenance and you've got one hell of a bike.

http://www.kanai.net/weblog/archive/2005/11/16/18h26m17s

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I´ve seen it last weekend at a show and for the price tag the build quality seemed a bit poor: Plastic for "tank" cover was very wobbly, heatshild for underseat exhaust which actually looked like tinfoil stuffed in by a monkey and the like. And that on a show exhibtion machine no less.

Ciao
Jan

·
King of D'bags
3,579 Posts
I liked the previous R-S and the Boxer Cup Rep. in particular but the bike always seemed a little portly, both dynamically and visually. But I really dig this new one. It looks a lot more lean and mean. I had only seen the yellow and red so far. The black is sweet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i like it too.  but i feel the price tag is too steep.

i think it's going for 20K Candian.   15K Canadian would be more reasonable, if it were somewhere along the price lines of an RC51 or a hyabusa i would consider it more seriously.   

do the components really make it worth the asking price, or is it just a beemer thing?

at 122 hp, that's about 10-15 more hp than the sv1000s?

·
Registered
722 Posts
After sitting on one at the DC show, I decided it would be in the running for SV replacement. Then I saw the price: 15K w/o ABS. Then I saw the sales brochure that says it requires 98 Octane "Superpremium." Most of the other BMW's require "premium". That seems like a dealbreaker.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
Sunoco gas offers a super premium ... unfortunately they are not at every street corner.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Seriously...seems awesome. I could maybe even stomach the price since its a sportier touring option than the honda ST 1300 that I like....but 98 octane...are you kidding???? I don't think I've seen that anywhere in upstate NY. A bike you can't put normal (93 or less octane in) is a garage decoration. Serious oversight....

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nimbus said:
After sitting on one at the DC show, I decided it would be in the running for SV replacement.  Then I saw the price: 15K w/o ABS.  Then I saw the sales brochure that says it requires 98 Octane "Superpremium."  Most of the other BMW's require "premium".  That seems like a dealbreaker. 
Sometimes you need to read into things a bit more:

"This enormous compres sion ratio serves in particular to boost torque at low and medium engine speeds, the flat twin developing maximum torque of 112 Nm or almost 83 lb-ft at 6,800 rpm, despite the emphasis on supreme peak power. On the road, this means supreme engine response and muscle at all times, the flat-twin developing its maximum output on premium plus (RON 98) fuel. And at the same time the engine is also able to run smoothly on 95 octane premium thanks to its anti-knock sensors, with only a minor reduction of power."

From http://cannon-bmw.co.uk/cannon/New_Bikes/R1200S/bmw_r1200s_info.htm

95 RON = 91 R+M/2.
98 RON = 94 R+M/2

You may not be able to find 94 octane easily, but do you really need every last bit of that 122 HP?  I'd have a hard time believing that someone could feel the difference in power when using 93 octane instead of 94.

If you really do need that last bit of HP, then this bike probably isn't the bike for you.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I do like the style of the R models, but my heart will always be with the K bikes. I rode the K1200R when it came out, that's some real power. The boxers are kind of high strung and flat in the midrange, despite the torque on paper. My old K100 felt stronger, and it only had 90hp / 61lb-ft.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts