Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've really been interested in a bluetooth setup to communicate with friends and listen to music. I'm also in the market for a new helmet. I've noticed a few different bluetooth helmets out there and I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience or has heard anything about them. I've read about the Blutek helmets on webbikeworld.com and they seem to be decent. I also saw the Element helmets on motorcycle-superstore.com. I guess I'm just looking for more input/reviews/yays/nays from others who have used one or know more about them then I do. Also, do you think that these bluetooth helmets would be compatible with an add-on bluetooth system like the Scala Q2?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
I looked into a bluetooth system (like the Scala) because my wife wants a communication system for when we ride together and they are cheaper than Chatterboxes usually. Everything I read said the wind noise was really bad and I am hard of hearing so I decided not to for now.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've read all about the add-on systems you can get. I'm more interested to see if anyone on here has used the helmets with built-in bluetooth. For the price of the add-on systems you can get one of these helmets with it already built in. I'm wondering about the pro's and con's of these helmets. I haven't been able to find any threads that talk about helmets like the Element Fastrack or the Bluteks that are in these links;

http://www.blutekhelmet.com/

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/17571/ITEM/Element-Fastrack-Solid-Helmet.aspx

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
This is just me personally, but I'd rather get a comfortable, quality helmet that fits my head then add bluetooth, rather than limit my selection to something like those helmets. The focus of those products and the reviews seems to be more on talking on the phone while riding than saving your head in a get off. With any major helmet manufacturer they have multiple shells and styles to try and fit the widest number of people possible, or they tailor to specific head shapes (Arai, Shoei) and you choose from there. If you select a helmet for built in bluetooth you have to hope everything else you would expect in a helmet (head shape, ventilation, swappable padding, different visors) is going to be available. It just all seems a bit too gimmicky to have bluetooth built in right now. Again though, just my opinion, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
valid point dietrying.

I was also a bit let down when I saw they only have single speakers in them due to DOT standards. with that in mind, I can't see a good future for a "media" helmet. I'm trying to get a feel for all the options with bluetooth because I really want to get a decent quality setup. I really have a hard time believing that the sound quality is very good in any of the systems out there but I guess I won't know till I try

also, I like the idea with the scala being able to switch the system to different helmets if need be.

just a thought, but does anyone know what airplane pilots use in their helmets for intercoms/sound?

any other opinions??

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
I use Interphone blue tooth head sets and I find it hard to hear at 65mph + but the SO says she hears fine. Guess its because I get all the wind noise and she is in still air.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts